Explanation of different models in the canon printer range?

Hi all,

a quick question since the Canon website is so poor at covering their older printers and I’m new the whole range. I’m looking for an IP4500 printer for photo and CD printing. This is no longer available in the UK but I’m advised that the MP610 or similar should be available second hand.

I’m seeing a lot of other canon printers out there too. How does the range work in terms of nomenclature? Was the IP4500 released with an IP3500 and IP5500? Did these replace earlier IP3300, IP4300 and IP5300 printers? If so is the 5000 series better than the 4000 series in terms of features, speed or quality? Which is the best one in the range using these CLI8 inks? Was there an equivalent 6000 or 8000 series? have I got the numbering system completely wrong??!

thanks for clarification!

let me put it this way: for example, is a IP5300 a superior printer than a IP4500 in terms of market position? Is it also an earlier printer than the Ip4500 and released at the time of the IP4300? If so How does it compare in real terms? thanks again.

[QUOTE=efunc;2282201]let me put it this way: for example, is a IP5300 a superior printer than a IP4500 in terms of market position? Is it also an earlier printer than the Ip4500 and released at the time of the IP4300? If so How does it compare in real terms? thanks again.[/QUOTE]
iP5300 apparently was a European/Asian market release, I don’t remember seeing them here in the States. I did search around and it seems that it was released along with iP4300 which was popular here. It also appears to have the same case/frame as iP4300.

iP4500 is more recent and one of the last of the cherished CLI-8 printers. MP610 use the same “print engine”.

It might be interesting to Google iP4300, iP4500 and iP5300 to see just what the differences are.
I’d be happy to own any one of them.

oh, OK. I got a bit confused because I can see older printers here in the UK like the IP5000, IP5200 and IP5300 as well as the 4000 series, but when I go to the Canon site to compare with the current range there are no 5000s. The top of the range now seems to the IP4600, so I was wondering where the 5000s fit in.

So am I right in thinking that the iP6700D is actually the last and also most advanced printer using these CLI-8 inks? If so, I just missed a killer deal on one!

No one here seems to talk about anything other than the IP4500 so it’s quite difficult trying to put all the different models in context. I’m wondering which one would give me the most superior results for both CDs and CD sleeves.

[QUOTE=efunc;2282223]oh, OK. I got a bit confused because I can see older printers here in the UK like the IP5000, IP5200 and IP5300 as well as the 4000 series, but when I go to the Canon site to compare with the current range there are no 5000s. The top of the range now seems to the IP4600, so I was wondering where the 5000s fit in.[/QUOTE]
iP5000 is very different from iP5200, iP5300 in that it (5000) was one of the last of the BCI-6 printers, the even more cherished chipless tank printers.
Hard to find one of these in prime condition, if you do, grab it.

I’m running an iP3000, iP4000 and a iP5000. Their ink tanks are probably the easiest ever to refill because of the lack of chips. Physically the CLI-8 refills the same, just that you should reset the chip, which isn’t a big deal with the available resetters.

[QUOTE=efunc;2282304]So am I right in thinking that the iP6700D is actually the last and also most advanced printer using these CLI-8 inks? If so, I just missed a killer deal on one!

No one here seems to talk about anything other than the IP4500 so it’s quite difficult trying to put all the different models in context. I’m wondering which one would give me the most superior results for both CDs and CD sleeves.[/QUOTE]
No, the iP6700D came along about the time of iP4200, which was the first of the CLI-8 generation. It has the same chassis as iP4200.
After a quick Google I can see that this iP6700D is a dedicated photo printer since it requires PC (photo cyan) and PM (photo magenta) and has no oversized black pigment tank.
Also the “D” indicates photo printer.

The iP4500 doesn’t require photo inks because the Canon engineers figured out a way to get “photo ink effect” from the standard tanks using a finer nozzle array.
I would prefer iP4500 because it is a more versatile printer, excelling at text and faster than iP6700D.

The newer Canons such as iP4600 are not favored because the new tank range CLI-221 ,CLI-521 etc, are smaller and no resetter is available.

IP4200 and IP4300 are functionally the same. IP4500 has a newer print head and is faster for photos and discs but is otherwise the same animal. It also has slightly better fine detail.

The IP5xxx and IP6xxx models use 6 or 8 ink systems compared to the 5 ink system of the 4xxx.

The various multifunction models use the exact same print engines.

Brilliant, that’s exactly the info i was looking for.

thank you to you both :slight_smile:

ok, so i’ve got a shot at a cheap MP610 which is the printer I’ve settled on, despite it being a bit ‘oversized’. Anyway, the one I was offered isn’t 100% functional. There is a problem with the paper feed in that the pages come out wonky. I’m not sure what that means, it’s the seller’s description.

Obviously without seeing it it’s hard to say, but does this sound like a common fault, and can these be a simple DIY fix without new parts? Probably hard to answer that!

[QUOTE=efunc;2282743]ok, so i’ve got a shot at a cheap MP610 which is the printer I’ve settled on, despite it being a bit ‘oversized’. Anyway, the one I was offered isn’t 100% functional. There is a problem with the paper feed in that the pages come out wonky. I’m not sure what that means, it’s the seller’s description.

Obviously without seeing it it’s hard to say, but does this sound like a common fault, and can these be a simple DIY fix without new parts? Probably hard to answer that![/QUOTE]

The 610 has 2 paper feeds. If the problem occurs from both feeds, then it’s an issue at the other end. I think I’d hold out for one that works right.

yeah, i think so too. There MP610 still seems to be available from some suppliers in the UK, whereas the iP4500 is nowhere to be seen at this point. I think I’ll just buy a new MP610 then and save myself any hassle.