Experts needed --- XP startup problem

vbimport

Yesterday my boot didn’t finish. That doesn’t happen to often, just so now and then, and I didn’t thought that I was into some trouble. But since that time my XP doesn’t get any further than the (black and white) text screen were you can chose: restart normal, restart with last working settings, boot in safe mode. I tried al the settings but every time I press enter: nothing happens. It just stays there.

Now I have two questions:

1. Is there anyone who can give me a tip. The one that I have to reinstall windows I already got from someone…
  2. What is the best way to make a backup in the future. In the ‘good’ old days (FAT32/ Win ME) I always used Nortons ghost. It took 10 minutes to restore a ghost file. But since I use NTFS partitions, the good old ghost didn’t do its job. And the be honest: the last two years my system worked perfect (what does that name sounds familiar :wink: ) and I never looked if there was a new ghost version. Any advice… edit: I saw in this forum a thread. I am going to read it! Maybe my question is answered.

Maurice

Regarding the boot problems i would suggest installing Windows over the old windows (which is not the same as the repair option).

The current Ghost version (8 and above or enterprise) are more than capable of making NTFS images , but PowerQuest’s Drive Image Pro 2003 can even make nice bootable cd’s or dvd’s.

to your first question, i´ve no idea

second question; the ultimate solution for me is Powerquest Drive Image, it takes about 12 min to make a image of the OS inkl. all progs, compression from 4,5 gig to about 2 gigs, restoring in about 8 min. option for splitting the image, you can enter the filesize you want, password protection (if u want) …

all in all: a wonderful prog

Thanks for your quick reply!

I am sure going to install Powerquest! Is it a problem for Powerquest that I am booting from a (silicon image ATA133) raid 0 system? Windows XP always wants a driver disk when I install it. It seems that it is impossible for Microsoft to add this drivers automatically or recognise my HD’s…

Thanks again!

Oh still one question to Mr. Belvedere… You said “Regarding the boot problems i would suggest installing Windows over the old windows (which is not the same as the repair option).” I assume you mean to do a fresh install? Is it actually possible to repair the current XP? I never had any luck that it worked. I thought that that option never worked.

Maurice

“Windows over windows” installation is where you use a fresh install , but do not delete any of the windows files. (Back in the days of upgrading a windows 9x to another 9x , you just renamed the win.com to win.not and started to install). This way the desktop , registry keys and installed software stays on , while windows overwrites all its own dll and other system files. I have tried this on Windows XP twice and it seems to work great. You just tell windows to install in the standard directory , it will then warn you that there is already a windows xp there , on which you choose to install anyway. The repair option just kills all files+registry and reinstalls windows, so don’t use that one.

The only disadvantage to this process is that you’ve now lost ALL windows updates , so when it runs smoothly again , connect to www.windowsupdate.com and be ready for some megabytes of (Security) patches :slight_smile:

But as always , make a backup FIRST before experimenting.

Mr. Belvedere you are the man!!

Yes I know the good old win.not trick. I am one of the ‘old guys’… (my age is 36) I started with computers when I was 13. I programmed my first ‘programs’ in basic with a synclair?? ZX 2 Kb!

I am very happy to hear that there is a trick to not install all the programs, drivers…
I just install windows over windows?!? Just simply not delete files (I guess it’s an option?)

Your tip saved me many hours… I just can’t find the right words to say thanks!!

Maurice

Waay to much credit , i’m just “a” man :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yes I know the good old win.not trick. I am one of the ‘old guys’… (my age is 36) I started with computers when I was 13. I programmed my first ‘programs’ in basic with a synclair?? ZX 2 Kb!

Hehe , i’m a 30 year old , started with the Sinclair ZX Spectrum … whopping 48 kb :slight_smile:

I am very happy to hear that there is a trick to not install all the programs, drivers…
I just install windows over windows?!? Just simply not delete files (I guess it’s an option?)

Windows setup will warn you twice , but just let the install do its work. Even all users should be unharmed.

Your tip saved me many hours… I just can’t find the right words to say thanks!!

You’re most welcome. But please make a backup first before trying. You never know what’ll happen. Some other programs tend to overwrite DLL’s as well.

Maurice[/QUOTE]

Great to meet you here! Nice to see that there are more people here who bought the extra ram ‘block’ in these days. :wink:

Unbelievable what technical happened to our computers the last years… but to be honest the fun part never got greater. It was a great time. Nobody had a computer in these days!

Normally I am ‘always’ in the Lite-on forum. It’s a very nice community there. But today I noticed that the other forums @ cdrfreaks are great too!

I took a look at your website and when I am not wrong than you understand when I say:

“Heel erg bedankt maatje voor je geweldige tips! Ik hoop je hier nog vaak aan te treffen!”

Maurice