Experts, help me please! I am crazy with my new liteon 20A1H

vbimport

I got the drive from newegg.com and installed it in my dimension 8400 together with a NEC 3520 in a same (only) IDE channel. I am using windows XP pro.

• If the drive option (in the bios) was set to combination mode, two SATA HDDs (plugged in SATA ports 1 and 3) were identified as in the primary IDE (one slave, one master) in UDMA 5 (SATA ports 2 and 4 were not available in the bios setting in this mode). The liteon and nec drives appeared in UDMA 4 and UDMA 2 respectively as I assumed (in the secondary IDE channel). However, the HDDs ran quite slowly because of no SATA controller.
  • Then I changed to raid autodetect /AHCI mode, the HDDs worked perfectly, very fast with a SATA controller in device manager. Both the optical drives were identified in the unique (primary) IDE channel but in UDMA 2. The burst rate I checked was only 24MB/s for the liteon drive :a (it is always over 37MB/s in UDMA 4). I think, this burst rate is not enough to burn DVD at 20X.

I’d like to keep the liteon drive in UDMA 4 while I still can use the advantage of AHCI mode for SATA HDDs. Help me please!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(In raid autodetect/ATA mode, there was no SATA controller but both the liteon and nec drives were in UDMA 2)

First of all, you wanta make sure you are using 80 conductor ide cable. Second, set both drives to cable select jumper position. Thirdly, after you reboot, uninstall the ide channel that the two optical drives are installed on. Then reboot, the computer should detect the ide channel and the drives. Then do another reboot and it should fix your problem.

The 3520 only supports up to UDMA-2 mode, so even with the 20A1H supporting UDMA-4 mode, it will still be held back by the 3520 since they’re sharing the same IDE bus. Your best bet is probably not use the 3520 if you want to use the 20A1H to its potential. I advise to NOT set the drives as Cable Select, but rather as Master and Slave, to avoid any potential mis-recognition with the 80-conductor IDE cable.