Experts: current copyright laws are hurting technology

I just posted the article Experts: current copyright laws are hurting technology.

More and more experts seem to agree that more is going wrong than right with the current approach to protecting digital content. The experts argue that current copyright laws (such as the DMCA) are…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5504-Experts-current-copyright-laws-are-hurting-technology.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5504-Experts-current-copyright-laws-are-hurting-technology.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It is absolutely true that current copyright laws are hurting technology. Apparently the greed of large companies has became more important to the government than allowing consumers fair rights and the advancements in technology. There is only one fair solution. That is no laws restricting the use of digital content and everyone is allowed to trade all music, movies, and software for free without restriction. That would make me one happy person.

Wolverine: It would also make the media companies loose fantastic amounts of money. The ability for consumers to make copies of legally bought content how they see fit is something they should have. The current state (particularly with music and movies) is akin to that you would expect to see in some “coming of the apocalypse” esque senario. People are taking what they want, and not just a few people, everyone is. The whole world and his wife pirates music. If a decent online music delivery system was brought about then maybe this would be reduced. But I don’t think that it would create a huge impact piracy. We live in a state of pop-crime.

The DMCA is a horrible creation of big business lobbying. That I’ll agree to. But Wolverine is out of his mind to think that Copyright law hinders technology. I think you may have Patent and Copyright mixed up considering Copyright allows for the work, and Patent covers the technology, system, process. Copyrights are cheap (about $80USD), patents are thousands of dollars. I would suggest to Wolvering to create something worth money, and then let it off into the wild without any notice to the world that you created it, watch the world use it, and never get compensated for it. Then you won’t be so high and mighty, on your horse of ignorance. Why would ANYONE creating ANYTHING if all music, video and software was free to exchange? The open source world only exists as a snub to the business world, anyone who is in open source will die off because of lost revenue, customers will eventually go to commercial offerings because of support and reliability, and above that, someone to blame if the product goes bad. Consumers fair use rights should be extended to creating backup CD’s, DVD’s, etc so that your original isn’t destroyed by use/overuse, but ends upon the sharing of the duplicate. You can share the duplicate if the original is never played, you can share the original if the dupe is never played. Fair Use also ends when its distributed across the internet. If you don’t state ONE thing that you’ve created that is worth money and you aren’t getting paid for it, nor getting any street cred for it, then you are wasting EVERYONES time and you just look foolish. Anyone who argues that copyright laws should be abolished without having intimate knowledge of the business world should let those of us who survive off of our works decide the fate of our works. I still agree that the DMCA should be wiped out, and CD/DVD prices slashed.

Quite right, onlinetracker, but you’re taking that Wolverine guy too seriously. He writes the same junk in response to every article about piracy on cdfreaks. Some open source programs can be supported through paypal donations, but that mainly achieves a morale boost rather than a financial one :slight_smile:

Like I’ve said before, It is always easy to get a Microsoft program illegally then it is to actually come up with the money to pay for it. Nobody I know actually buys Office upgrades or Windows upgrades. They just download them. But Microsoft isn’t going broke. The RIAA may not be making as much money as it likes because of filesharing networks but that doesn’t mean they’re losing money. To the RIAA losing money is just not making as much as they thought they would. The RIAA is still making billions of dollars in profit.

Lets go back tot he old rules. :4 Solves the headaches.

Nuke, and those who actually understand whats going on [even if we all don’t actually follow it to the letter]… I’ll shuddup, this isn’t the place to debate, just to react. I understand. I won’t comment in the future unless its directly related to the articles content.

interesting side note: the roland vs-880 multitrack hard disk recorder will not allow you to go from a spdif out of a cd to the spdif in of the roland - *unless you say “yes” & agree to 3 screens which, in a nutshell, say that you - not roland - are entirely responsible for any legal infringements you make - this goes to the point of making the copy protection in the users control - its been like that with roland for a few years now.

Are these the same copyright laws that said that many of Disney’s characters should have already been in the public domain long ago… yet keep getting illegally extended by graft to the government?

disney’s characters remain their copyright because congress extends their release into the public domain. its not illegal. if you do not like this system, i suggest you lobby your state / federal representatives to change to a communism or some other more representative government :wink: