"Expert" Says: Burned CD's and DVD's have 2-5 year lifespan

According to this dude, a physicist for IBM Deutchland, cheap discs (CD-R and DVD-R) have a lifespan of 2 years. Better quality discs have a lifespan of 5 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060110/tc_pcworld/124312

Thoughts?

I just saw it on yahoo and wanted to post it as well. lol

Well, my thought is that for backing up purposes, and price wise, it is still the logical choice.

And btw. the key sentence of the article is:
“Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland, has his own view

I wouldn’t worry so much unless I see some proof (one “expert” view is not enough to influence my opinion).

Propaganda. On another video forum, this was discussed yesterday. Somebody brought it to attention that the writer works for IBM and was suggesting an IBM product as more reliable than CD media.

Even without that clear lack of ethics, the article was baseless bull plop, with pure opinions and speculation and not an iota of fact or even a collection of observed experiences.

I guess we will all see if its true in a few years.

I have Verbatim CD-Rs burned in 1998-1999 that scan with such excellent results today, that I cannot burn a new CD-R with better quality now.

I also have blank Kodak Ultima 80 CD-R 12x Silver+Gold from 1999 that still burn with excellent quality at 8x and with very good quality at 16x in my drives today.

OTOH I have a couple of pressed music CDs that have deteriorated to the point of almost being un-rippable in less than five years, and this is not due to scratches.

Either the article is making huge generalizations from what the physicist at IBM has said, or he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or perhaps he’s being deliberately negative because IBM doesn’t make any CD/DVD drives or media.

Here is one thing he says…

“Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years.”

What a load of manure.

He’s intitle to his own opinion, but that statement I quoted above is a bit extreme…

I join the gang saying this is nonsense. This is propaganda to push an IBM product. :rolleyes:

That’s the “100 years-old lifetime” same marketing crap, just in reverse. :bigsmile:

Half-truths are always more efficient than plain lies, that’s why they use at least one truth, which is that el-cheapo optical media won’t last long…

Or its in binary :wink:

100 = 4

Yup, that is BS. I have well taken care of CD-Rs (ie Taiyo Yuden) that have been around for 6 years or more.

I’ve got about 45 TDKs from 1998 that are still in very good shape and very readable.

Kodak Ultimas are archival quality media that the manufacturer makes very lofty claims for (100 years iirc?) so hopefully after 1/10th the expected lifetime they’d still be OK.
I know people who exclusively use the no-name shiny silver see-through CD-Rs and those are the ones that wouldn’t surprise me if they were dead in <5 years. In fact I should track down one of these old discs from my friends and scan them.

Golly gosh :eek: It’s almost 10 years since i burned my first cd then. Well -i’m confident that the real experts write in this forum :smiley:

Trust a guy from IBM (you know those people who brought you the amazing IBM ‘Deathstar’) to spout such crap

but can we compare CDRs with DVDs in terms of burn reliability? i’ve got some cheap CDRs that were 2x and considered state of the art at that time and they still are fine too.

Well I just finished having a look at over 50-70 of my burns in the last few years,
it doesn’t look good, but then I didn’t scan them then, a few of the questionable brands still scan fine, others are marginal, with what quality control is in this crap
shoot, the guy may have a point, he’s just not done enough research to be qualified
to speak. As our collections age, I think this forum will become THE “source” of media
longevity, at least in real world terms. my 2 cents

I don’t believe that either, 5 years, I already have older disks than that, they read fine. Except badly scratched ones.

But, I don’t think people should COUNT on ALL their disks lasting >5 years. I would not want family photos kept on 1 CD, hoping they’d last 10 years, and then discover that 1% of the photos are destroyed. Ok, nobody on this site would put all their photos on 1 CD and think that would be enough, but people are in general very sloppy when it comes to making backups. :frowning:

BTW, I’ve seen with scratched media, and media left in the sun, or in general mishandled, that they sometimes read better on old CD-readers, such as 4x-readers, while new DVD-readers/writers fail. My CDRW-burner, Samsung SW232, had to be limited in Nero Drivespeed to 4x to read some CDRs.
I have a 2x-reader, Sony something from 1994, that reads just about everything. I keep all my old readers and writers as long as they work, stored in cold (but not damp) cellar :slight_smile:

A few years ago I read an article saying that new CDRs (high-speed)were WORSE than old (low-speed), as the higher speed required a thinner layer or something.
It wasn’t the high speed burning that was the problem, but the media was so thin that any degradation would be catastrophic. Any opinions on this? Is higher speed media more likely to fail in the future due to degradation?

Okay,
So what does this mean about my burned backup dvds? Also, does this mean all the dvds I bought at Walmart will go up in smoke in 10-20 years? Andre

Probably before that (I’m serious), :frowning: unless you choosed your discs wisely. DVD media is far less reliable than CD media, and cheapo CDRs don’t take more than a couple of years before developing readability problems, so imagine with DVDRs…

On this board we’ve seen discs getting unreadable in less than six months (Ritek G05), this is the most extreme case, quite uncommon and doesn’t concern ALL G05 discs, but it may give you an idea of what CAN happen.

I think very few here would bet on a life expectancy of more than 12-15 years for the very best DVDRs. Yes, it suc*s, I know. :frowning:

Oh, and sorry, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’m all for constructive discussion about media life span, what causes it to decrease, and what can be done to insure your disks are remaining readable… but this guy was/is making vary narrow comments without any information about how he comes to his narrow conclusions… the article is of little value, other then maybe to scare some folks into learning more about CDs and DVDs… but really… the article is so far off the mark, I don’t really give it any credit to being helpfull, and it probably does more harm then good.

Now… lets get back to some real constructive discussions on what to do to increase your odds of having disks that last much longer then 2-5 years, rather then trying to convince others that it can never happen.

I am estimating over 10 years on this disk!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=162964