Experiment: Storing BD-R: binder vs jewel case

Many people are not aware that they shouldn’t store their Blu-Rays in DVD wallets - it can lead do readability problems and false alert on degradation. Basically nothing should touch the BD recording surface for prolonged time period.

For the purpose of this experiment I burned two identical disc from the same cake/batch. One of the discs was stored in jewel case and the second one was stored in dvd binder for 100 dvds. The binder is full to its maximum capacity, zipped and stored vertically.

Writer: Pioneer BDR-209EBK fw. 1.34
Media: Omega BD-R 25GB 6x
MID: CMCMAGBA5
Burned on: 28.01.2018
Scanning drive: hp TS-LB23L (DVD-RW/BD-ROM slim type drive)

Initial scans made on 28.01.2018:

Disc stored in DVD binder - initial scan

Disc stored in jewel case - initial scan

Scans made on 24.02.2018:

Disc stored in DVD binder - one month later

Disc stored in jewel case - one month later

When I removed the disc from the binder it had dust particles on the recording surface. First I tried to clean it with air blower but it didn’t help, the particles seemed to be glued to the surface. Second I tried to gently brush them off using lint free towel but that created smudges all over the surface. I had success cleaning the dust particles and smudges using the lens cleaner that I use for my DSLR lenses. After few tries I managed to make the recording surface shiny and smudges free. After all that cleaning I did the scanning.

This is an ongoing experiment - the disc are back in their storage. I will report back with new scans in month or two.

Nice, thanks.

I wonder if the degradation happens from pressure or some chemical reactions.

I think I have 2-3 BD-Rs in single paper wallets, will see if these are affected too.

Static electricity would be my guess.

I use binders exclusively for pc troubleshooting @ people’s home.
@ my own home,everything I use on a reguar base is stored in jewel cases in dark drawers…

There are many different binders and wallets on the market with different types of inserts.

I have used wallets for many years and I have not noticed any imbedded dirt or particles.

Case Logic 11/07/S 085854016735
Fellowes 64 disc CD wallet No codes on wallet and outer cardboard discarded long ago.

Both of these have a “fabric like” surface inside, not sticky plastic. Perhaps the plastic in the sleeves is causing what you have observed ???

You got me quite curious, so I went to a storage area in my home that is generally warm and dug out some cd wallets filled with BD-R’s with older image backups. The binders had been turned on their sides and piled atop one another (very bad). These were Fellowes binders which tend to be tighter around the discs than the Case Logic. Some of the BD-R’s had a pattern on the clear side, where the laser would read, from the fabric like side of the wallet sleeve. I was able to wipe it off with a microfiber cloth and a drop of water on some. On others it would not come off. I do not have any lens cleaner around to try right now. Nor do I have a drive that can do quality scans.

I also found a pile of BD-R’s in black TekNMotion paper sleeves that got turned on a stack instead of vertical the way they should be. The plastic windows became stuck to the label side of some of the discs. No damage appeared to be caused, but I did notice some scratches in the clear side of the disc as I removed them. The black paper sleeves seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I am thinking they fit too tight.

I have hundreds of archived data discs. Jewel cases would not be practical for someone like me, but now I wonder what is really the safe, economical, and compact way to store hundreds of discs?

It is not static electricity, they seem to be pressed in the anti-scratch coating.

That sounds bad! I would definitely stop using those particular wallets.

This subject is not new but it seems to be forgotten. It has been discussed on this forum and other forums in the last 6-7 years but no one did experiment with control disc to see the actual differences.

From what I know the “degradation” is from the pressure applied on the recording surface and in many cases is not permanent. The disc can heal itself if left in jewel case for some prolonged time. This process could be speed up by applying heat source but it increases the risk of doing permanent damage to the disc.

According to the BD whitepaper only BD-R in cartridge can be produced without anti-scratch coating. It seems that coating formulation is prone to taking imprints from other surfaces (like dvd sleeve) and catching dirt when under pressure.

This doesn’t apply to Ritek BD media where the degradation is caused by something completely different.

I remember this post where applying heat fixed the problem

I store my burned media most in files like this:

All other storage costs to much space or is impractical

I don´t like Paper sleeves with sythetic transparent because I had in the past some slleves which cleaved on the media and ruined them.

I have from throwned away Jewelcases many paper inlays left. Would it help if I place it on the fleece in the folders in the back of the media?

A BD-R disc stored in a paper wallet for 8 months

nothing should touch the BD recording surface for prolonged time period

I absolutely agree. But also with proper (jewel) cases one should really be aware of how the center hub that holds the disk is made. I have had some bad experience with some video CD cases where the improperly made large hub actually ripped apart the CD-R from the center thus destroying data completely.

In my case I switched completely to standard slimline jewel cases. Again they vary in quality but even those poorly made does not seem to suffer from what may happen with video CD cases - hub ripping apart the disc from the center.

In conclusion: avoid video CD cases, possibly DVD cases. Jewel cases are fine, even the slimline ones.

I tried Video cases for a time because they were all opaque black except for a few cut outs around the hub/spindle. Ultimately they were too expensive and took up too much space. Some also gave off a strong chemical odor which seemed unhealthy for me and the discs.

I suggest that if someone was to go the slim jewel case route (and could afford both the space and cost), a dark drawer or opaque case where they could be stored vertically without laying on one another would also be needed.

Just a thought.

Scans made on 24.04.2018

Disc stored in DVD binder

Disc stored in jewel case

Anyone have experience with stored in a cakebox?

Interesting

I store some discs in a cakebox and have no error increase after 9 months. New media is in cakeboxes too, so there shouldn’t be any problems.

Hope so

Still not sure a burned and unwritten media have the properties.

Cheap DVD-media like my Monarch and Lifetec are more than ten years old and can be written in good quality. But if the colleagues here are right there will not be readable in some years

Storing BD discs in binder that are not written will have the same bad effect. From what I concluded the problem is not the recording dye, the problem is the transparent substrate with all its coatings that gets dirty and smudged (probably at magnifying glass level), then laser light refracts and we see increased error rates while reading or writing.

Maybe disc bends while under pressure inside large and heavy dvd wallet and that also contributes to increased error levels… who knows…

The only well documented media that has problems with degrading dye is/are Ritek BD-R media.