Experiences with Redmond Linux / Lycoris

vbimport

I've downloaded the freeware .ISO and installed it on a Pentium 166 (not even MMX) and it bloody works ! :slight_smile:

How the people at Lycoris get away with it i don't know but they try to make it look like Windows XP as much as possible .. quite funny to see such a thing on a P1. And it directly connected to my other pc which actually is running Windows XP ; though streaming an mp3 towards it doesn't work.

Now there's XMMS installed but they sound is way too crappy (i think because of the low processor speed) but is there any way to enhance this ? I've already tried the real time option in XMMS but no such luck.

Oh , here's the Lycoris homepage : http://www.lycoris.org

Lycoris/Redmond Linux is the most crappy linux dist around!!!

If you want some real dists, try Mandrake Linux, very easy for the newbie user… Mandrake Homepage .

There are rumours that Lycoris is made my some Microsoft Employees, but that’s not proven… (Redmond as in Redmond, Microsoft’s Home Base)

Originally posted by panchebe
[B]Lycoris/Redmond Linux is the most crappy linux dist around!!!

If you want some real dists, try Mandrake Linux, very easy for the newbie user… Mandrake Homepage .

There are rumours that Lycoris is made my some Microsoft Employees, but that’s not proven… (Redmond as in Redmond, Microsoft’s Home Base) [/B]

Sooo… Mandrake is super , Lycoris is crap.

And where do you base this hell of a professional opinion upon ?

For your info , Mandrake is enormously slow on a P1 , so is Red Hat. Suse has that horrible YAST2 and i would really like that EvilEntity (www.undeadlinux.org) would run , but sadly only on a 686 processor.

Second thing . this hardly answers the question i have , since running XMMS on Mandrake 7 or 8.2 on my P1 will sound even crappier than Lycoris does.

Third of all , Redmond Linux was NOT written by Microsoft programmers , and if it was … who cares ? If you hate Microsoft , stop using it. Redmond Linux is called like that because it looks almost exactly the same as Windows XP. Even the name Redmond Linux is not theirs , but one of KDE’s methods of skinning and using the mouse in X.

First of all, no one in good mental condition installs these most recent distrs. on a Pentium of 1st generation!!! Most of these new distributions are compiled for i586 (MDK) i686 (SuSE), and RH has even athlon builds. For an old computer I would sugest something like iLinux, or some old build of MDK or RH, but with the kernel and the packages updated.

Hmm , if ILinux can cope with the crappy hardware i have then maybe it’s worth a try.

However , the ilinux.com domain containst nothing , the ilinux.org domain is for sale (though SourceForge says it holds the info).

Do you happen to have a link where i can find info about that distro ?

I wasn’t planning on using a really old distro version of mandrake or red hat.

That’s because it is a dist still in development here in my college by me and my friends… It’ll be small (200Mb with XFree 4.2.0, KDE3 and Gnome2). It is still in alpha versions… It’ll be ready by the end of the year. I suggest you go to linuxiso.org . It has a database of almost every linux distro available, so it’s very easy to choose…

Seems quite nice … please keep me updated if you have the complete works :slight_smile: