Experiences with BTC 1008IM

Yesterday I got my first dvd-recorder (1008IM, firmware 0054)

So I plugged it in as Secondary Master with a harddrive as slave.
Booted up and tried to install Nero 6.0.0.16 that came with the drive.
First problem: The drive was not able to execute files from the disc (Program caused error… restart it - something like that)

Then I installed with my Toshiba sd-M1502 dvd-rom-drive, no Problems.
Started Nero and tried to burn a cd (Platinum, a not that bad, not that good media; Plasmon 97m27s18f)
Nero reported an communication error and ejected a coaster.

Next was an update to Firmware 0256 in live update. The system got hung up immediately and the 1008 was dead.
Searching in Forums after a 4x longer boottime; so I found mtkflash created a bootdisk and packed the flashprogram and the bin-file on the disk. (used manual, bin file from here)
Restarted from disk dos and flashed the drive successfully :).

Restarted Windows and the same problems as at the beginning (with FW 0054) - coaster.
Now I tried to set to PIO-Mode only, restarted and well, first success.

The drive was able to execute files and burn a disk using 40x.

Problem: The drive was really slow. the actual burning speed was about 14x; Nero reported a buffer underrun prevention of 152 times.

Next step was disconnecting the (old seagate) harddrive off the IDE-channel and setting to DMA-mode (then it actually showed Ultra-DMA).
:slight_smile: testburn of 700MB in about 3 minutes (in 40x mode)
But the dvd-rom drive was deactivated and won´t activate… OK, un-/reinstalling worked.

Next step: Burning my first DVD (+R, RICOHJPN R01). Its a Tevion, one off Aldi. They got 4th place in quality in the german version of pc-world magazine - wow.
… to be continued…

I thought that everybody knew that it is a VERY BAD idea to have a hard drive and an optical drive (cd-rom, cdrw, dvdrom, dvdrw) on the same ide channel. Neither drive will work at its best.

I wonder how many of these “btc drive is apiece of crap” type posts are the result of that sort of mistake?

Luckily,Range-hood, you are not afraid to experiment.

… and well, success.
4100 Mb in about 11 minutes - playable in the toshiba sd-M1502 dvd-rom drive (set in nero the book type to dvd-rom, I don´t know if this caused that effect).

So my recommandation is to try to burn a CD in an accurate time before trying a DVD. it´s cheaper.
:iagree: :wink:

First I was about to change the drive to an lg GSA-4081B one (only 10 euros to pay more) but now I´m waiting for some compareable test-results off computer magazines. let´s see what happens…

Originally posted by contrex
[B]I thought that everybody knew that it is a VERY BAD idea to have a hard drive and an optical drive (cd-rom, cdrw, dvdrom, dvdrw) on the same ide channel. Neither drive will work at its best.

I wonder how many of these “btc drive is apiece of crap” type posts are the result of that sort of mistake?

Luckily, range-hood, you are not afraid to experiment. [/B]

Maybe BTC should point to this forum additional to the live-update link :wink: