Experiences through time w/ CD Protections

hi guys,

I am very amazed with how CD Protection changes over the years. Now, we are faced with one big obstacles – SecureROM 4. Is it really the technology that make it possible to make 1:1 copies of CDs?

When I looked back years ago when I first own my HP 7100i CD Writer (2x2x6x), there is no such things as CD Protection as CD productions are commonly limited to manufacturers. I do not have any problems copying games like Interstate 78, Tomb Raider, and Quake3, etc. Those time was not really exactly 1:1, as I just copy all files to HD and burn it to CDs. Everything changes until CloneCD comes out.

CloneCD did make copying games way easier, as I can simply insert the master and make a copy. I can rent PC games in store and copy and sell them all I want. Until I remember SafeDisc and Overburing is used. SafeDisc 1 is used on NeedForSpeed 4, when it burns the description (file allocation table) at the end, it screwes up the writer and make a coaster. With Overburning, the CDRs are 74mins and no CD Writer officially supports overburning. Making copies lof FreeSpace 2 is impossible unless you modify the movie files.

As technology advances and becomes cheaper, CD Writers are capable of handling/defeating “unusual” patterns, files, on protected CDs. The nightmare of screwing up is over, our hardware can handle most software protections (SD2, SecureROM, Overburning, Dummy…). However, in this 2 years, I see that the protections are way beyond our “domestic” technology can support. Hence many protections are manufactured on the hardware side itself, instead of software.

My predictions of protection schemes will be very simialr to some of the poster here. Precisions, the physical of CDs, will be vastly used to protect it. Until our “domestic” hardwares can read and duplicate the physical side of the CDs, I don’t see the possibility of 1:1 copy anymore.

Just my 2 Cents.

I can rent PC games in store and copy and sell them all I want.

Thats Illegal and its Stealing.

Originally posted by killer23d
I can rent PC games in store and copy and sell them all I want.

It’s people like you that make CD protections necessary in the first place. You are a thief. We suffer for it.

Chris P.

Bad karma dude…

You can actually rent PC games from stores? Unheard of where I live.

Originally posted by killer23d

Just my 2 Cents.

Is that the stolen ‘2 cents’ from game developers who have to feed their families?
People like you disgust me and you really have some nerve saying these things here.

Also since when did you become a copy protection expert?
Sorry but I don’t think you name is Oliver Kastl or the latter.

Originally posted by CCDKing
You can actually rent PC games from stores? Unheard of where I live.

Sure, no problem in the Netherlands.

When does this guy get banned?

Bad karma is not even the word…who let the Cartman open his mouth in here?