Expensive Japanese AXIA Cd-r Media. Cool-Looking, But Are Really Taiyo Yuden Discs

vbimport

Had these imported from Japan. $30 for 10. AXIA Pure Sound CD-R’s

I should’ve known these were Taiyo Yuden discs when the description on the AudioCubes website read: “made my the world’s leading cd-r manufacturer.”

I popped one my Plextor Premium drive and whalla! PlexTools Pro identified them as Taiyo Yuden.

Doh! But…they do look better than any other cd-r disc I’ve seen.

Also, these are 74 minute discs. I can’t seem to find any 74 minute Taiyo Yuden media anymore, so I guess this purchase wasn’t a complete waste.

I don’t read Japanese but are you saying you paid $3USD for ONE blank CD-R disc???

I never paid more than $2.99+tax after rebate for 50 Taiyo Yuden CD-R in the blue Fuji box. And those are 80 Min. media.

Oh no, I meant they were $30 USD for pack of 10 cd-r discs in jewel cases.

But still, the most expensive cd-r disc I’ve come across is still this: TDK Theory CDR Now that is $15 USD, for just 1 lousy cd-r disc.

Whoa – US $3 for one CD-R !!!
WTF - TY DVD blanks are a little more than $1 a piece ( in the US )

So, what’s the big deal about this ?!?

Correction they cost me $36 with shipping included.

I don’t know what the big deal was, but they certainly look schweeeeet. :bigsmile:

I was just pissed to find out they were TY discs and that I could’ve spent less $ for about 100 unbranded TY discs.

The reason why they cost so much: They were imported from Japan, meaning sent from Japan to my house in the U.S.

If you crapped your pants at those, just look at my 2nd post in this thread about $15 for a single disc. :stuck_out_tongue:

Uhm… what did you expect them to be? CMC? :slight_smile:

lol Noooooo. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was hoping for a different brand. I only use TY and Mitsui. Each full disc I burn gives me about 2,900-23,000 C1 errors and with the cd-rw drive I have that should not happen all the time.

I just wanted to try my luck and maybe get less errors with a different brand.

I tell you what… LITE-ON LTR-52327S is about $30 at newegg.com. Why don’t you buy it instead of 10 CDs? It burns TY just fine - check out the CDR(W) tests forum.

I had one, but I sold it along with my old computer.

I spent $1,500+ on building a new computer, with the “best” components and thought the Premium drive was the best from what I’ve read…but…one makes mistakes sometimes. :slight_smile:

Can you say “Marketing Scam” ? :iagree:

<------Fell for the scam. :wink:

I want to go 2-for-2 and buy that ultra-expensive TDK Theory cd-r disc. I might as well, right? lol I can’t read Japanese, but I’ll put money that it’s a Mitsui disc. Or, does TDK finally manufacture their own?

LOL, bet it’ll be TY too

Well, I don’t mean to offend you in any way. Consider this as a joke. Russians say that smart people learn from somebody else’s mistakes, and fools learn from their own ones. Since you keep buying the media which price exceeds the price of a good CD burner, I don’t really know what category you belong to ;-)) Eccentric, maybe?

No offense taken VAD. Eccentric? Hmm…nope…just foolish. lol

Seriously though, the line of: “made my the world’s leading cd-r manufacturer” should’ve tipped me off that they were made by TY, but it wasn’t a total loss. I was looking for 74 minute media anyway and genuine-unbranded 74 minute TY’s are hard-to-come-by.

Think I’ll rebuy a Lite-On 52327S and compare the burn quality with the Plex Premium. I don’t think anyone on this site has done that yet, so why not.

Think I’ll rebuy a Lite-On 52327S and compare the burn quality with the Plex Premium. I don’t think anyone on this site has done that yet, so why not.

Lots of people have, just read the CDR test threads. You can only compare by reading both burns in a LiteOn, (or Plextools) as Plextools does not really approximate Kprobe scans. (they can’t be compared)

Hmm…well there are good & bad burns with both drives. I might as well stick with my $100 drive. Argh. :confused:

This topic has gotten way off-subject, but does anyone reccommend a dvd-rw drive over a cd-rw drive…for burning cd-r’s?

Meaning any difference in the laser, the way the media is burned and blah blah blah.