Expect to see faster than 32X CDRW?

vbimport

First off I would like to ask what is the very best CDRW media because I’m frustrated that I have so many crappy Comp USA 4X and 10/12X memorex CDRW media. Second question, are there drives that write faster than 32X for CDRW media? I just saw on this site that there is some 32X CDRW media which surprised me cause I couldn’t find or still can’t find any 32X CDRW media on google. I just don’t want to end up buying this media and then finding out they’re making faster RW media.

I mean CDR speeds are one thing since it’s one time use but for RW I’m stuck with it for the rest of its useful life.

Best CD-RW media?
I’d suggest Verbatim 24x Ultra-Speed CD-RW which should work well in just about any drive or Verbatim 32x Ultra-Speed+ CD-RW if you need the fastest available, but it doesn’t seem to be quite as widely compatible as the 24x.

I don’t see why any optical media makers would use time on specifying, creating, testing and producing CD-RW media above 32x - the market for such media is too small and there is rewriteable DVD and Blu-ray media available now. I don’t think we’ll ever see CD-RW media faster than 32x.

It’s true that 24x and 32x US-RW did not become widespread due to their rather late introduction to the market. I must agree with [B]DrageMester[/B], there’s 8x DVD+RW [again one of those late product introductions with no market penetration in RL] and some BD-RE out there now…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2009375]Best CD-RW media?
I’d suggest Verbatim 24x Ultra-Speed CD-RW which should work well in just about any drive or Verbatim 32x Ultra-Speed+ CD-RW if you need the fastest available, but it doesn’t seem to be quite as widely compatible as the 24x.

I don’t see why any optical media makers would use time on specifying, creating, testing and producing CD-RW media above 32x - the market for such media is too small and there is rewriteable DVD and Blu-ray media available now. I don’t think we’ll ever see CD-RW media faster than 32x.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with the Dragon too. :iagree:

I had some Prodisc 12x CD-RW which lasted a while, but not as long as the Verbatim 24x and 32x CDRWs I have now. The Prodiscs started to fail one by one after sometime, whereas none of the Verbs have failed as yet :wink:

BTW, congrats on your first post! :slight_smile:

Not trying to turn this into a “me too fest” but yeah I cant see much insentive for high speed CD-RW either. I assume the original poster understands that even 4x DVD+RW is actually faster than 32x CDRW, not to mention much more cost effective given the greater capacity.

BTW. By my calculations a 4x DVD is roughly equivalent in data rate to a hypothetical 36x CD speed. If that calc is a little off then I’m sure someone will correct it. :slight_smile:

There is one thing that killed the market for CD-RW media, especially high-speed ones:

Pen-sized flash drives. You see, most people who bought CD-RW media simply used those discs in packet writing mode, which allowed the writing small amounts of data without actually mastering the disc and which also allows the rewriting without erasing other data on the disc. And even 52x CD-RW (if such a thing ever existed) still cannot write anywhere near as fast overall as a pen-sized flash drive.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2009438]There is one thing that killed the market for CD-RW media, especially high-speed ones:

Pen-sized flash drives. You see, most people who bought CD-RW media simply used those discs in packet writing mode, which allowed the writing small amounts of data without actually mastering the disc and which also allows the rewriting without erasing other data on the disc. And even 52x CD-RW (if such a thing ever existed) still cannot write anywhere near as fast overall as a pen-sized flash drive.[/QUOTE]

And of course the price of the flash drives which appears to be going down by the hour.

I use my 4gb unit from Play daily.

[QUOTE=uart;2009397]Not trying to turn this into a “me too fest” but yeah I cant see much insentive for high speed CD-RW either. I assume the original poster understands that even 4x DVD+RW is actually faster than 32x CDRW, not to mention much more cost effective given the greater capacity.

BTW. By my calculations a 4x DVD is roughly equivalent in data rate to a hypothetical 36x CD speed. If that calc is a little off then I’m sure someone will correct it. :)[/QUOTE]

No that’s about right. My reasoning for using a CDRW is due to my SOHC-5232K drive being a COMBO that doesn’t write DVDs. I’m just going to wait out until DVD burning is FULLY matured just like CDs were when I bought this drive. (And to add that a drive from 2004 still has the fastest rewriting speeds of CDRWs seems to indicate that faster than 32X isn’t going to happen) Also CDRWs are much more compatible than a burnt DVD so I still prefer and use them.

[QUOTE=imzjustplayin;2009600] I’m just going to wait out until DVD burning is FULLY matured just like CDs were when I bought this drive. [/QUOTE]

I’m still just a newb, but I think DVD’s have matured pretty well, as good drives can be had for $30- $40. And blank single layer discs can usually be bought for $12.99 for a 50 pack, and/or good spindles of 100 for about $30 + shipping.

Now with technology focusing on BR and other larger formats, who knows how much more investing is going to be made with DVD’s.

Also, I see the future being flash media.

[QUOTE=disk n00b;2009733]I’m still just a newb, but I think DVD’s have matured pretty well, as good drives can be had for $30- $40. And blank single layer discs can usually be bought for $12.99 for a 50 pack, and/or good spindles of 100 for about $30 + shipping.

Now with technology focusing on BR and other larger formats, who knows how much more investing is going to be made with DVD’s.

Also, I see the future being flash media.[/QUOTE]

haha my point exactly. You said single layer, I’m more interested in refined, cheap dual layer discs.

Dual layer DVD’s will probably never be as cost effective or quite as reliable as single layer so you might be waiting forever there. The main purpose of Dual layer DVD’s is for copying pressed DVD’s onto a single disc without compression.

Just wondering, what’s your main usage for CDRW mzjustplayin?.

Traditionally I’ve used RW media for two main purposes. One for transporting temporary data and two for data backup (cycled backups not archives)

For purpose 1 (temporary storage for data transport) CD-RW is long since obsolete for me, with flash drives taking over for the last couple of years. I still occasionally use DVD+RW media for this purpose because my flash drives are only 2GB, but soon flash will dominate here too.

For prupose 2 (data backup) CDRW was obsolete for me many years ago. For a while I was storing incremental backups on DVD+RW (with the full backups going onto a removable hard-drive) but the removable hard-drive has pretty much taken over here too.

When I need to use a bootable disc, I burn to a CDRW especially for something like ultimate boot cd. When I want to transfer data to another computer, I like using a CDRW because not all computers have USB ports (the one’s I’m working on anyways), when I want to bring data with me, sometimes I like using CDRWs for what ever reason that may be, also my car has a 6 disc MP3/WMA stereo so all I have to do is burn to a CDRW or even 6 and then I have 700MB-4.2GB of space to store my music. If I want new songs, I just erase the discs and add new music instead of burning a new CDR and that’s if I don’t want to keep any discs lying around. If I’m ok having some discs set aside then I can have far more music at my disposal. Again the rewriting feature is very useful to me as write once discs are only good if I’m backing up a game or program or album, something that is ok as a final compilation.