Existing code to write MP4 format files?

Hi.

I need to modify an encoder program to write .mp4 files with data for a new codec. I have not been able to find any available (i.e. usable in a commercial application) code which will handle writing .mp4 files with VBR, which does not cost too much (e.g. Bento4 at $5000.)

I would prefer not to have to code from scratch using the ISO specification.

Are you aware of any available code, C++ callable library or DLL that could handle this function for me? I have a small but reasonable budget for acquiring whatever will save me the coding and debugging time.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jack Bowman

You’ll probably do better to ask this question at the doom9.org forums. (there is a waiting period before you can post) http://forum.doom9.org/index.php

In the meantime, you might also post your question at videohelp.com. There are a number of video professionals who post there, but I’m not sure how many are programmers as well.

FFmpeg, http://www.ffmpeg.org/

Jack is looking for something that can be used in a commercial product. FFmpeg is only available under the GNU General Public License.

[I]FFmpeg is not available under any other licensing terms, especially not proprietary/commercial ones, not even in exchange for payment[/I].

And under their FAQ’s: [I]Q: Is it perfectly alright to incorporate the whole FFmpeg core into my own commercial product?
A: You might have a problem here. There have been cases where companies have used FFmpeg in their products. These companies found out that once you start trying to make money from patented technologies, the owners of the patents will come after their licensing fees. Notably, MPEG LA is vigilant and diligent about collecting for MPEG-related technologies. [/I]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2543787]Jack is looking for something that can be used in a commercial product. FFmpeg is only available under the GNU General Public License.

[/I][/QUOTE]

I skipped right by “commercial”, thanks for catching that. :iagree: