*EXACT* duplication of a DVD

vbimport

Hi people.

I have a $100+ program installed on my PC that needs to find its original DVD in the PC’s drive for the program to run.

I tried backing up the DVD, including with WinX DVD Copy Pro, but apparently the copy isn’t an EXACT copy of the original DVD. With the backup DVD I get the message: “Please insert the original disc instead of a backup.”

IMO, not allowing me to safeguard my investment by storing a backup is a dreadful practice.

Protection stripping is not the issue – I think I need a utility that will make an exact bit-by-bit copy of the original DVD, so anything “tricky” is also reproduced.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Protection stripping may be the only solution. There are places on a stamped DVD that aren’t accessible by a burner. That’s often how program copy protection works. We have a couple sub-forums here that deal with protection:
http://club.myce.com/f80/
http://club.myce.com/f79/

Thanks, I’ll have a look at those. But in the meantime I have discovered some more information.

Just tried BlindWrite, again without success, but at least now I know what’s being used to protect the DVD. With BlindWrite I get the message:

[I]“Conflict with Disc Emulator Software detected. See http://www.securom.com/emulation_detected for more details.”[/I]

So it is being protected with SecuROM.

After looking around on what’s been written about SecuROM, it looks like my wish for a backup of my DVD is not going to be realised. There are number of tutorials around on cracking SecuROM (example) but I’m afraid that’s all beyond me, and beyond most people I would guess.

Also, every claim I see for a SecuROM crack is very old, mostly in the 2004-2008 range, and I’m pretty sure the developers would have had fixed any cracks that old by now.

You can make a copy of a dvd.
3 top choices are MakeMkv, Dvdfab and Anydvd.
There are others as well but these are the most reliable.

@AnonyMouse901
Recommended apps for creating a virtual or physical emulated SecuROM backup are Alcohol 52%/120% and/or DAEMON Tools Pro. Whether you’re mounting an image to a virtual drive or burning a physical RMPS copy, your drive needs to be capable of performing a so called DPM (Data Position Measurement).

Please have a look in our guide section for more details:

Those guides are partially outdated. If you have questions regarding the image creation procedure, just ask.
Also additional tools like Pr0tSt0p or YASU shouldn’t be required anymore.
Either way, i’d first uninstall Blindwrite as it maybe prevents even your original disc to work properly.

If you still have your Blindwrite image, would you please upload/attach its tiny B6T file.

One remark regarding “cracking”: if you want to create a working backup you’re welcome, but we don’t condone the usage of NoCD Cracks in our forums, so please don’t ask for help with that.

What type of DVD media are you using? At the very least, I’d use DVD+R and bitset to DVD-ROM in case the game checks for that.

[QUOTE=AnonyMouse901;2688681]Hi people.

I have a $100+ program installed on my PC that needs to find its original DVD in the PC’s drive for the program to run.

I tried backing up the DVD, including with [I]WinX DVD Copy Pro[/I], but apparently the copy isn’t an [B]EXACT [/B]copy of the original DVD. With the backup DVD I get the message: [I]“Please insert the original disc instead of a backup.”[/I]

IMO, not allowing me to safeguard my investment by storing a backup is a dreadful practice.

Protection stripping is not the issue – [B]I think I need a utility that will make an exact bit-by-bit copy of the original DVD[/B], so anything “tricky” is also reproduced.

Any suggestions most welcome.[/QUOTE]

Impossible for you because you have no Authoring burner and media at hand I suppose…

@chef
Remember this ?

[QUOTE=AnonyMouse901;2688681]Hi people.

I tried backing up the DVD, including with [I]WinX DVD Copy Pro[/I], but apparently the copy isn’t an [B]EXACT [/B]copy of the original DVD. With the backup DVD I get the message: [I]“Please insert the original disc instead of a backup.”[/I]

Protection stripping is not the issue – I think I need a utility that will make an exact bit-by-bit copy of the original DVD, so anything “tricky” is also reproduced.

Any suggestions most welcome.[/QUOTE]

Little confusion here for me how is it you have the installed program but don’t have the original media from which it was installed from and where has the original gone to? I think most installed program aren’t of DVD size that I could recall only one being my Windows7 O/S install did come on DVD media size. You should be able to download a installer version from the software site and with your registration serial/keys be able to install it should you need to in the future. And since I have no idea what 100+ program your talking about others whom have it would be able to help you more on how to backup the program. That doesn’t sounds like that program that install from a dvd media. That heavy protection sounds like it is proprietary software and you most likely would have to contact that software company and ask how can you get a backup of the software should you loose it? That would be the next course to take.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2690816]Little confusion here for me how is it you have the installed program but don’t have the original media…[/QUOTE]Doesn’t he ? :confused:
The OP already tried to copy the DVD with Blindwrite, so i don’t get your conclusion.

btw. there is for example educational software on DVD using SecuROM protection.

Its impossible without the tools that chef mentioned,

Posted by chef
Authoring burner and media

A bit-by-bit DVD copy is impossible with any tool/burner/media.
It won’t help with SecuROM media anyway.
Emulation is the only way to go.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2688704]If you still have your Blindwrite image, would you please upload/attach its tiny B6T file.[/QUOTE]

[I]Unfortunately I had already uninstalled BlindWrite, for reasons mentioned below. On seeing your request I attempted to reinstall it in order to get you a B6T file, but it wouldn’t reinstall due to the trial period being expired. Since it won’t do what I want is not much chance of me buying it.[/I]

Anyway, thank you all for your interest. It hasn’t got me anywhere yet, but I’m still hoping. However, it seems I have to clarify a few points, which may help to put you on the right track:

1. I legally own and am in possession of the original DVD.

2. The way that this works is that the program must be installed to a PC from the DVD. Then, whenever the program on the PC is run, it checks that the [B]ORIGINAL[/B] DVD is in the drive.

3. [I]“100+”[/I] isn’t a program name. What I said was [I]"$100+"[/I] (note dollar sign) meaning that the program cost in excess of $100. I only mentioned the price as a reason I would want to have a backup of my purchase.

4. The program on the DVD is not a game. Whether that makes any difference or not I don’t know, just want to be clear.

5. An attempt to use BlindWrite was unsuccessful, but it did reveal that the DVD is protected by SecuROM. This seems to be a fairly widely used service for making “uncopyable” DVDs. If it’s possible to crack the current version, I haven’t been able to find any reference to it. All references I could locate for defeating SecuROM were fairly old and applied to earlier versions of SecuROM.

6. In the process of trying out various copying programs I discovered that when the DVD-based program detects the presence of certain ripping/copying software it refuses to run, usually with a message relating to [I]“Conflict with Disc Emulator Software”[/I] or something similar.

I hope those points clear up any misconceptions.

I am quite capable of copying a DVD and have tried many ways to copy this particular disc. All copies appear to be successful, but the program always knows that it’s not the [B]ORIGINAL[/B] DVD.

Chef, supported by byAlan1476, says [I]“Impossible for you because you have no Authoring burner and media at hand I suppose…”[/I]. As you now know, I do have the original media. I’m not sure what you mean by “Authoring burner”, but I have tried a lot of different DVD copying programs.

The DVDs I am trying to copy to are: DVD-R, 1-16x speed, 4.7GB single sided. If the program is looking for a specific DVD type, is it possible to determine the specifications of the original?

But I suspect that if you want to understand the details of this protection you’ll have to at the very least take a look at the SecuROM website. According to their blurb their protection is used by many games publishers as well as more serious software.

[B]ADDITIONAL:[/B]

It’s no secret, so I may as well give you details of the program itself. “A manual of Acupuncture

I don’t at all like the way they have implemented their protection so as to prevent the making of a security backup, but I didn’t have much choice in choosing this program, as it is by far the best of its type, and there aren’t many alternatives to choose from anyway.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2690864]A bit-by-bit DVD copy is impossible with any tool/burner/media.
It won’t help with SecuROM media anyway.
Emulation is the only way to go.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t see that message until after I posted my latest one.

So… evidently you are familiar with SecuROM, so it looks like I should try what you recommended earlier on:

Recommended apps for creating a virtual or physical emulated SecuROM backup are Alcohol 52%/120% and/or DAEMON Tools Pro. Whether you’re mounting an image to a virtual drive or burning a physical RMPS copy, your drive needs to be capable of performing a so called DPM (Data Position Measurement).

I didn’t try that already because I didn’t know what you meant by [I]“your drive needs to be capable of performing a so called DPM (Data Position Measurement)”[/I]. Mine is just a standard LG write/rewrite burner that came with the PC.

And what’s the difference for me between Alcohol 52% and Alcohol 120%?

[QUOTE=AnonyMouse901;2690867]
The DVDs I am trying to copy to are: DVD-R, 1-16x speed, 4.7GB single sided. If the program is looking for a specific DVD type, is it possible to determine the specifications of the original?
[/QUOTE]

I have no clue how you could make a copy of this since it is software based but if I were you, I would try DVD+R just to see if that would work.
I suppose you would have a nearby store and the price of one or a pack wouldn’t be a problem.

I would also suppose that any info you get here is just about useless since no-one likely has the same DVD and has made a copy of it.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2690869]I have no clue how you could make a copy of this since it is software based but if I were you, I would try DVD+R just to see if that would work.
I suppose you would have a nearby store and the price of one or a pack wouldn’t be a problem.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I’m sure I can get a DVD+R from a local outlet, but since we know there is some heavy protection in place, a different DVD type is not going to do anything by itself.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2690869]I would also suppose that any info you get here is just about useless since no-one likely has the same DVD and has made a copy of it.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it is very unlikely that anyone in a community like this would have that DVD. But I would think the important point is the type of protection (known to be SecuROM), not the title of any particular disc it happens to be protecting.

Hopefully more information from Terramex will allow me to try his recommendations, as he seems to be at least familiar with SecuROM.

[QUOTE=AnonyMouse901;2690868]I didn’t try that already because I didn’t know what you meant by [I]“your drive needs to be capable of performing a so called DPM (Data Position Measurement)”[/I].
[/QUOTE]The DPM measures the unique topology of the disc and saves it in the MDS image file.
Some drives are capable, others are not. But LG sounds promising.

[QUOTE=AnonyMouse901;2690868]And what’s the difference for me between Alcohol 52% and Alcohol 120%?[/QUOTE]120% can burn, 52% can’t. Also there’s a free version of 52%.

[QUOTE=AnonyMouse901;2690893]Yes, I’m sure I can get a DVD+R from a local outlet, but since we know there is some heavy protection in place, a different DVD type is not going to do anything by itself.
[/QUOTE]Basically it’s a good idea to use DVD+R as the booktype can be set to DVD-ROM. But when using Alcohol/DAEMON Tools the emulation handles possible booktype issues. So in the end + or - doesn’t matter.

I’d install the latest trial of Alcohol 120%.
During setup uncheck iSCSI Service - you don’t need it.

Open the Image Making Wizard and select the SecuROM *NEW (4/5/7) datatype.
When prompted select Maximum DPM speed.
After image creation is finished mount your image in the virtual drive of Alcohol and start you Accupuncture app.

Does it already work ?

[QUOTE=Terramex;2690809]@chef
Remember this ?[/QUOTE]

Cood call!

I even forgot about that great thread… :bow:

But, on the other hand, the OP should explain what “EXACT duplication of a DVD” in his opinion means… because its fairly impossible exactly…such “duplication” would imply access to a pressing factory, AFAIK. :wink:

PS. I offer some DVD-RA jobs done if necessary.

I’m pretty sure the OP wasn’t aware of the (without emulation) unburnable, non-standard sector density of SecuROM.
So “exact” should count as “working”.

Nice offer btw., but alas in this case DVD-RA is of no avail.

Posted byAnonyMouse901
I think I need a utility that will make an [B]exact bit-by-bit copy[/B] of the original DVD, so anything “tricky” is also reproduced.

I think the key words here are above. This may be reproduced by emulation but I doubt it can be reproduced any other way. JMHO.