Exact Copy of a DVD

Hi,

I have got quite a few retail DVD’s. And would like to know is if its possible to create a identical copy of them without losing any quality.

Currently right now the software that i have to achieve this job is Nero 7 Premium, and would like to know if this is enough to create a exact copy of the DVD movie.

Do i have to have to remove the copy protection from the disc as i just want to make a copy it without losing any quality by rencoding it.

I am not sure whether the DVD’s are dual layer format or single. would this be a problem in allowing me to create a exact copy of the disc, as im not sure if my DVD-RW which is a pioneer DVR -107D is capable of writing dual layer discs.

If i am not able to copy the disc with nero 7. What other method and would you suggest i use and is there any other software which i will need - i do not mind if its retail.

Thanks for your help:)

Yes.

Quick, mindless, easy solution = Anydvd+Clonecd+Verbatim +R double layer discs (this method preserves the original layer break)

visit www.slysoft.com

Free solution = Ripit4me/decrypter/fixvts+Imgburn+Verbatim +R double layers discs

visit http://www.ripit4me.org/

No. You need something to decrypt the original movies, such as Anydvd.

Do i have to have to remove the copy protection from the disc as i just want to make a copy it without losing any quality by rencoding it.

Yes, you need to remove the protection.

I am not sure whether the DVD’s are dual layer format or single

Most commericial films use two layers.

would this be a problem in allowing me to create a exact copy of the disc, as im not sure if my DVD-RW which is a pioneer DVR -107D is capable of writing dual layer discs.

Yes, this does present a problem since your burner isn’t capable.

However, you can split a film across two discs instead if you wish. In this case you would be looking at Clonedvd2, if you want to use Anydvd for a single layer solution.

You can also split across two single layer discs using Recode and Shrink (but you still need to use something to decrypt protections first, even if you do use Shrink; one free option, again, is Ripit4me).

So just to make things clear, I will need a copy of anyDVD and cloneDVD2 (instead of cloneCD) so i can split a film across two discs and burn it on a 2 normal DVD+R. correct?

Again thanks for your help, made things much easier.

Dipset,
For 30-40 US dollars you can get a burner with more up to date features. The 107 is very picky about what media it likes and it worked better with -R media. Most people find they now need a burner that does single and double layer +R and also [I]bitsets the media[/I] for better player compatibility.

Yes you can split disks (I do that all the time) with the 107 but the firmware for that pioneer hasn’t been updated in years. This was always the Pioneer marketing people’s way of getting you to buy,buy,buy their latest drive product! So you are limited to disappearing stocks of blank media types that are compatible with the writing schemes of the last released 107 firmware. And I don’t think even that last release of firmware gave you “native” +R bitsetting ability … it required a firmware hack or a software’s ability to bitset … which narrows the number of backup software packages available for your use.

If you are gonna keep the 107, stick to -R 8x speed media like Taiyo Yuden media (available from Rima.com) and you will be fine for the splitting disk method. A point of history to remember is that the -R / +R wars were raging during the time the 107 was produced and Pioneer was previously firmly entrenched on the -R side of the war and had just recently (the 106D model) decided to make drives that were also capable of +R recording … and they were not fully featured as to +R media burning yet.

Best solution: update that burner.
Cheapest solution: stick to the TY media I suggested above.

Best regards,
Whisperer

You already own Nero Recode, which can also do this (and can split wherever you want–not just at chapter markers). However, Clonedvd2 can split and retain the original menus. Clonedvd2 is also more compatible with Anydvd.

By the way the person who developed Shrink also helped develop Nero Recode, so the programs share some similarities.

If you wish to compress, Clonedvd2’s transcoder is faster, but the picture quality is inferior to what Recode and Shrink can produce. Of course, since you’re not interested in compressing (because doing so reduces picture quality no matter what using programs), this probably isn’t an issue for you.

I believe I can be fairly objective when stating Clonedvd2 is a much easier program to use.

Again thanks for your help, made things much easier.

No problem

sigh I suck. I often think faster than I type, so I miss words. I meant “no matter what using these programs”