Exact backup

I’m trying to backup my dvd collection. I’m looking for something simple that’ll make exact backups of the original. I use dvd decrypter and dvdfab but I keep running into a few titles that give me problems. I have a large anime collection. Has anyone backed up godannar or Planetes successfully? If so what software did you use? I tried using dvdfab and it keeps making coasters. It will get through burning it and finalizing then say it’s done but won’t eject the disc. The light is still on and I can hear it spinning still I manually eject it but the dvd won’t play in my dvd players and windows says it’s a blank disc but other programs say it has something on it (but vlc won’t play it). Anyone got any ideas? I want something easy to use one button exact duplicate type software. If anyone knows any settings that’ll solve my problem in dvdfab that’ll work too. TIA!

The most frequent cause of coaster production is the use a low quality disc.

What media are you using exactly? I suggest to use Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden disc (the very best currently available at the moment).

Another solution could be to not burn anything but saving all your collection on external HDDs. You can use ImgBurn and AnyDVD to rip all your discs on a HDD and then connect the disc to the player via USB (some standalones have an USB port). In this way you have your entire collection on a single place and no need to burn on a media.

JMO: Buy what is on sale, also cheaper media are speed sensitive, so keep those 16x cheaper media at 8x or lower, will keep you from making coasters and save some green.

[QUOTE=Briareos;1951404]I’m trying to backup my dvd collection. I’m looking for something simple that’ll make exact backups of the original. I use dvd decrypter and dvdfab but I keep running into a few titles that give me problems. I have a large anime collection. Has anyone backed up godannar or Planetes successfully? If so what software did you use? I tried using dvdfab and it keeps making coasters. It will get through burning it and finalizing then say it’s done but won’t eject the disc. The light is still on and I can hear it spinning still I manually eject it but the dvd won’t play in my dvd players and windows says it’s a blank disc but other programs say it has something on it (but vlc won’t play it). Anyone got any ideas? I want something easy to use one button exact duplicate type software. If anyone knows any settings that’ll solve my problem in dvdfab that’ll work too. TIA![/QUOTE]

I know I used Anydvd with its’ decrypting running in my taskbar and then using CloneCD to make a 1:1 duplicate of the DVD that is region free and protection free…but to do 1:1 you have to use either DVD-/+R for SL layer movie and DVD+R DL media for DVD9 movies…as this will keep in step with the 1:1 duplicate of the movie…also CloneCD keeps the layer break intact as well…but you have to pick a reliable media to use for either purpose and as well have a good burner and update firmware as well and keep the burning process speed slow and not multitask as your backing up as this will cause coaster as well. What version of DVDFab are you using?? If your dvd is blank usually nothing was written to it. As to one button duplicate there is anything that I can recall that will do that in one button but couple steps but you have to follow their instructions as from their company site as to how to fully utilitize their software as well…and there plenty of forums on here where people give steps as well as how to use the software…

I have problems with the words “exact copy” if the copy you make is so close to the origional that you can see no difference in playback is that exact enough? Like a car repair the results are near origional condition not exactaly like it was.

I’m using verbatim dl +R as my media

By exact copy I check my discs by going into my computer and selecting properties on the dvd drive and checking the number of bytes that are listed are the same on the original and the backup. I want a backup that is the exact same quality and content of the original I want to lose nothing. Why yes I am a anal rententive, obsessive compulseive, control freak why do you ask?

If you make an “exact” copy you won’t be able to burn it.

[QUOTE=Zathros;1952087]If you make an “exact” copy you won’t be able to burn it.[/QUOTE]

He’s using Verbatim dual layer media so that’ll be no problem.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Briareos;1951404]I’m trying to backup my dvd collection. I’m looking for something simple that’ll make exact backups of the original. I use dvd decrypter and dvdfab but I keep running into a few titles that give me problems. I have a large anime collection. Has anyone backed up godannar or Planetes successfully? If so what software did you use? I tried using dvdfab and it keeps making coasters. It will get through burning it and finalizing then say it’s done but won’t eject the disc. The light is still on and I can hear it spinning still I manually eject it but the dvd won’t play in my dvd players and windows says it’s a blank disc but other programs say it has something on it (but vlc won’t play it). Anyone got any ideas? I want something easy to use one button exact duplicate type software. If anyone knows any settings that’ll solve my problem in dvdfab that’ll work too. TIA![/QUOTE]

Try using ImgBurn to burn the discs.

It’s free and it’s the best software available for burning DL discs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1951791][B]I have problems with the words “exact copy”[/B] if the copy you make is so close to the origional that you can see no difference in playback is that exact enough? Like a car repair the results are near origional condition not exactaly like it was.[/QUOTE]

Same here, it sounds like “perfect copy” which is just impossible, and I’m glad its so.
Kinda exact backup of the content/movie is possible when using proper software (DVDDecrypter, DVDFAbD. and Imgburn) and good media like Verbatim DL. :wink:

If you want an exact copy you’ll have to press it as original ones aren’t burned onto disc.

@wombler, I do like Verbatim, I meant if he didn’t remove the protection, i.e. exact copy, he wouldn’t be able to burn it. Of course I realize that I am making no sense because to make an exact copy, he would have to have an “exact copy” to begin with.:bigsmile: I have a headache.:confused:

[QUOTE=Zathros;1952460]If you want an exact copy you’ll have to press it as original ones aren’t burned onto disc.

@wombler, I do like Verbatim, I meant if he didn’t remove the protection, i.e. exact copy, he wouldn’t be able to burn it. Of course I realize that I am making no sense because to make an exact copy, he would have to have an “exact copy” to begin with.:bigsmile: I have a headache.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Ok here’s what i’m trying to do. I check my originals to my backups by putting them in the dvdrom and right clicking on the dvd in my computer and selecting properties. Then I check the size of the disc and they are identical for both the backup and the original.

[QUOTE=Briareos;1952867]Ok here’s what i’m trying to do. I check my originals to my backups by putting them in the dvdrom and right clicking on the dvd in my computer and selecting properties. Then I check the size of the disc and they are identical for both the backup and the original.[/QUOTE]

That won’t always work as the removal of copy protection on a lot of discs causes the overall size to decrease.

[B]Wombler[/B]

John loans sally a protected disk which weighs 2.0z.
Sally rips the protected disk and burns a new DL.
Sally gives john back his orginal 2 oz disk and keeps her copy which now weighs 1.15 oz cause she took copy protecting files off before she burned it…
Sally’s mad at John cause here disk now weighs less.
Sally posts to cd freaks to see if there is any way she can rip johns movie and come out with the same 2oz.
Posters tell her she has too much time on here hands and let it go.
Sally does 1 last fling and views both her copy and Johns and fails to see any difference.
Sallys [hopefully] happy now cause her new DL disk is lighter than Johns original…

I think I dated that girl. She still has a few of my Dvd’s too. What a beeatch!

Dvd Cloner worked! yay :smiley:

Well don’t use RipIt4Me in Full Dvd Rip then, because you want an exact copy, not a cleaner more sructurally correct copy. Of course then you couldn’t use ImgBurn in Build Mode to burn on to a Verbatim Dvd+R DL, made in Singapore.