Setup Of Exact Audio Copy - How to setup Exact Audio Copy
Options Of Exact Audio Copy - How to configure Exact Audio Copy
Using Exact Audio Copy - How to rip your CD to Mp3
Install, Setup And Usage Of AccurateRip - Guarantying 100% rips

Revision History
Version 1.1 - Added AccurateRip
Version 1.0 - Initial Release

Exact Audio Copying: Installation
Once you have downloaded the program you will need to find it on your hard drive. Double click on it to launch WinZip.

You will now need to unzip the program on to your hard drive. To unzip the program click on the Extract button.

In the following window you will need to choose a directory that you want to put the program into and then hit the Extract button. You can place the files anywhere on your hard drive. I have chosen to put them in my Program Files folder.

The program will now unzip the files into the directory that you have chosen. Remember where you have put them as you will need to find it again later because Exact Audio Copy doesn’t make any shortcuts for you to use.

Exact Audio Copy: Lame Installation
Once you have downloaded the program you will need to find it on your hard drive. Double click on it to launch WinZip.

You will now need to unzip the program on to your hard drive. To unzip the program click on the Extract button.

In the following window you will need to choose a directory that you want to put the program into and then hit the Extract button.

The program will now unzip the files into the directory that you have chosen. Remember where you have chosen as you will may need to find it again later.

Exact Audio Copy: Setup
Now you have unzipped the two programs and placed them in folders somewhere safe you will need to go back into the Exact Audio Copy folder and find the application that looks like a CD with the letter EAC on it and run it.

The first screen that you will come to when you launch the program will be this one. This is the introduction screen for the program. Simply press the next button to continue

On this next screen is the setup for the CD-Rom drives. Here you can tell the program to use just one drive or a number of drives. I have selected both my drives so that I can find out which will be the best to use.

Next we come to the first settings screen for each drive. Here you can select Speed or accurate ripping. I would go for the accurate option for the best results. This screen will appear for all of the drives you have selected.

The next screen will be the setting screen. This too will appear for each drive that you have selected. It will come up with the settings for each drive so long as it appears in its database. You can either use these or tell the program to detect the features of your drive.

At this point you should make a note of the settings that the program gives your drives. As you can see below my Toshiba drive does not have any Audio Cache. However my other drive a Plextor does along with everything else. The program however should select the best drive to be used according to the features it has.

Finally you will get to the end of the drive configuration process and this screen will appear.

As you can see it has selected my Toshiba drive as the better of the two drives so I will use that one. Even though my Plextor drive had yes in all of the features according to the programs database the Toshiba will give better results.

Now we come to the Encoder Configuration screen. You should have already put the Lame Encoder somewhere on your computer then it can be set up here and now. If not you will have to do it from a menu inside the EAC program later.

If you have Lame installed then tick the box and click next.

The following screen will come up. The program will search through your hard drive looking for the Lame file. If you know where the program is then you can cancel this process and select the file manually.

The next screen to appear will contain the directory where Lame is contained unless you cancelled the search program where you will have to find it manually.

The other option is to determine which settings will be used with the encoding. I would recommend settings (from r3mix forum). These appear to be the best settings.

Finally the bottom option is to set if an ID3 tag should be created. An ID3 tag is what is used by MP3 programs to show what the track is called, artist, year and many other things.

Next you will have to enter an email address if you want to use the freedb internet service.

The freedb internet service can be used to import the artist name and track details from the web so that you don’t have to type them all in. By doing this you will save yourself a lot of time.

The final screen in the configuration process is to select which set of options you want to use. I would recommend using the beginner options until you get used to the program.

That is the program now setup correctly. Hit the Finish button to save the settings and launch the program.

Exact Audio Copy: Options
This is the program itself. At present there is no audio CD inserted. When you insert one the tracks will appear in this window.

The first thing to do is to set up how the files will be named. To do this go to the Top Left hand corner and select EAC. Under that select EAC Options.

There are many options here but I feel that they can all be left at there default settings. If you want to experiment and change some of the other settings then do so. The main option that I like to change is the naming convention. I like my filename to have the Artist name follows by a Dash and then the Track Title. So my filename would look like this,

Artist Name – Track Title

You can set yours up however you want to. Simply enter it into the box provided using spaces and/ or separators. To get my naming convention you would use %A - %T. You can also put other things in here to add Track Number or CD title.

Next we want to click on OK to save your changes and exit this menu. Now we want to go to the Drive Options. These can be found under. EAC then Drive Options.

This will be the first screen that comes up. Take notice of this because the this that you change in here can and will affect your ripped tracks.

Once you have read the notice click OK to go onto the actual options page. The first screen is Extraction Method.

This is where you set up the way EAC will rip your cd’s. There are three modes. Secure, Synchronized and Burst. Secure is the option that takes the most time but give the best results because of the checks it does on the tracks. Synchronized takes less time but does less checks on the tracks and Burst does no checks on the tracks but is the quickest by far.

I would recommend using the Secure mode. This way you will get near prefect results. The only bad thing about this mode is that it takes about 5 times longer than Burst mode.

Next you can check your drive settings if you think that they are wrong or if your drive was not found in the setup screen. To do this hit the Detect Read Features button.

As soon this window comes up it start checking you drive. You will need to have a CD in the drive for this to work.

Once it has finished the results will be displayed. As you can see these are the same settings that came up in on the setup screens. To use these settings hit the Apply button. To not use them hit the OK button.

The next window to come up will ask you to submit your drive settings to the EAC database. If you drive was not detected in the setup screens then please say yes here to update the database for later releases.

Once you have exited this screen you can check you drive for C2 Features. This is to see if your drive can rebuild errors on scratched or unclean CD’s. To do this put a “Bad” CD into your drive and then hit the Examine C2 Feature button. A Bad CD is one that has been badly scratched so that the tracks on the CD jump.

The following screen will come up.

Once done it will update your settings to use or not use C2 features depending on what it finds here.

Next we want to click on OK to save your changes and exit this menu. Now we want to go to the Compression Options. These can be found under EAC then Compression Options.

Under these options you want to go to External Compression. This is the Lame encoder that we set up earlier. You can use other compressors and this is where you would set them up. However we are using the Lame Compressor and it should already be set up. What you can do here though is set up the Bit Rate used in your Mp3 file.

Below is a table of bit rates, roughly what they sound like and there approximate sizes.

Bit Rate (Kbps) - Info - Size (Per One Minute Of Sound)
32 - - - - - Badly Distorted - - - - - - 400Kb
96 - - - Lowest Usable Quality - - - - 700Kb
128 - - - Most Common Used - - - - - - 1Mb
192 - - - Very Near CD Quality - - - - 1.75Mb
320 - - - Nearest To CD Quality - - - - - 2Mb

Personally I would set the bit rate somewhere between 128 Kbps to 192Kbps. Any lower and you could get some loss of sound and quality and any higher and I think it is just wasting disk space.

Here you will also want to make sure that you have the Delete WAV After Compression box tick or you will have about 600mb of files on your computer per ripped CD that you don’t need.

Next you will want to go to the ID3 Tag screen. There is a new ID3 Tag out now, cunningly called ID3 V2. This is the next version of the ID3 Tag. It contains more information about the Mp3 you have encoded. Once again you will need to set up the Filename Convention. The information that you put in here will be added to the ID3 Tag. I normally include everything so that you have a nice complete ID3 Tag to go with your Mp3 file.

We have now finished setting up all of the options that you need to do. Unless you have any problems you won’t need to change any of these options again.

Hit the OK button to go back to the main menu to rip your CD’s.

Exact Audio Copy: Using The Program
Finally we can put the Audio CD in. When you first put in an audio CD it will come up with TrackXX with and Unknown Title, Artist, Year And Genre.

Instead of having to type all of this information in you can use the freedb information database. To use this go to the options under Database then Get CD Information From. Follow the arrow and select Remote freedb.

The following window will then come up. This to just to show you that the program is connecting to the internet to get the information on the CD.

Once it has completed the information showed in the window will be updated with the downloaded information. Now we can get to ripping the CD. To do this highlight the songs that you want and then click on the Mp3 icon on the left hand side of the screen.

This will bring up the following window. Here you want to leave the File Name as it stands.

This is because the program will use the information it downloaded and stored. The only thing that you need to do here is to specify where you want the Mp3’s stored.

The following window that will come up is the program ripping the tracks you have selected to your computer. These will be temporary files saved as Wav format.

Once the track has been ripped the following window will open up. This is the Lame encoding program turning the Wav files into Mp3’s. The faster your computer the faster this process will be. This is a DOS window that maybe minimized at the bottom of your desktop.

Once completed the following window will come up. This is just to let you know that the operation has finished. Just click Ok to exit this window.

The final window to come up will be the following one. This window will show all of the tracks that you have ripped and some information about them. The Track Quality number represents if the program had to set in and help out when ripping the track. It would read the same area more than once to recovers errors. If this number is 100% then it is a prefect copy and no help was needed in copying it. The lower this number is the more help it had to give to get the track off of the CD.

All you have to do now is hit the OK button to close the window and be returned to the program.

The Mp3 files can now be played with and compatible Mp3 decoder such as WinAmp or Windows Media Player.

There are a lot of other options included in this package. This guide is only intended to guide you through the first time you use the program. The best way to get the best out of this program is to experiment with a few of the other options not included in this guide.

Exact Audio Copy: AccurateRip
AccurareRip is a new program that allows users to check there rips against others peoples. This way you can see if your have got a good or bad copy.

The first thing to do is to install the AccurateRip Function program. All you have to do here is to click the Next button a couple of times to install the files.

Because we are using Exact Audio Copy to make this program work correctly we need to copy “accuraterip.dll” from “program files\illustrate\dbpoweramp” to EAC’s install folder.

Now that is done we have to install the AccurateRip Database. Once again all you have to do here is to click the Next button a couple of times to install the files.

Now we have to configure the Accurate program to our drive. To do this you need to insert a Key Disc. The Key Disc list can be found here. Bear in mind that many of the discs listed have different pressings, for different countries. If you have a drive for which the offset is not known 3 key discs will be requested (they should all give the same offset for AccurateRip to configure). When you first insert a disc the following window should automatically pop up. To set up the drive simply click the Configure button.

If you have inserted a Key Disc that it recognizes then the following message will come up.

If you insert a disc which is not part of the Key Disc list then the following message will come up. You will have to keep on inserting discs on the Key Disc list until you find one that matches.

Now that you have AccurateRip installed and configured correctly you should see the following picture in the bottom right hand corner of the program window when you insert a disc that is on the database into the drive.

You should now Rip the Key Disc that used from before just to check that everything is Ok. To do this rip the CD like before. Once the CD has been ripped a window should pop up with the AccurateRip Results in it. This will tell you if you have ripped your track 100% correctly, if there is an error somewhere or if the track is not yet in the database.

That’s it. AccurateRip has now been setup and configured correctly. After you have ripped a bunch of audio CDs you should submit the results with the “Submit AccurateRip Results” under Database. This will create a file on your desktop to be mailed to,

You can help populate the AccurateRip database so that others can have 100% accurate music by simply ripping your CD’s and then mailing the file. Go on help out. Just remember to give each disc a light clean before ripping for best results.

Please Note
***** At this early stage, please do not submit the results from Ripping CD-R copies of audio CD’s *****