Evilentity 0.2.6 coming in feb

hey guys weve sceduled a release of 0.2.6 evilentity hopefully in feb

here is a host of new features!

hardware detection
using grub instead of lilo this time
xine is the media player instead of mplayer
and implementation of enlightenment 17 desktop !

and many other new features.

anyone know of any question or comments(benice!!)
i would appreciate your input or questions.:bigsmile:

pul-leeze serious questions or comments only and please note this is one of the best distros around.

and also note im the linux god around here!!

Still promoting the distro you are working on huh (not in the living room)?
Could you do it in the correct forum next time please, and be careful for this not to be considered spam…

For the rest I cannot help you, I’ll stick to my Win2k.

Originally posted by 2ndsign

Now that’s a BOLD statement!!!
/cough* Belvedere /cough
/cough* Dee-ehn /cough
and the list goes on and on

Originally posted by slayerking
Now that’s a BOLD statement!!!
/cough* Belvedere /cough
/cough* Dee-ehn /cough
and the list goes on and on

Don’t forget about ckin2001 and DaNeR :slight_smile:

Anyhow, it’s aways nice to see that the little distro’s are still being maintained. The former version of EE (0.2.5) was actually quite nice and it although it will never be a major distro, it’s future could be bright.

As soon as I finish my exams and the distro is available I’ll download it and install it a VM machine… :slight_smile:

Gotta admit, he has a sense of humor…especially given the display of his knowledge in the past :bigsmile:

But seriously, how many people do actually use this distro besides yourself?

Originally posted by Smart@$$
[B]Gotta admit, he has a sense of humor…especially given the display of his knowledge in the past :bigsmile:

But seriously, how many people do actually use this distro besides yourself? [/B]

You should see the major support the almighty reverend Kloss gives on sourceforge. :slight_smile:

Besides… i’m waiting for 0.3. I was promised a whole new enlightment and a ultra fast desktop.

Nevertheless , this is a great distro when compared to the overbloated distro’s that are released nowadays. Evil Entity gives just what’s needed and nothing more. Fedora might be a serious competitor though.

One thing still holds me back to use Linux continously : The very very very very poor support regarding accellerated graphics. Sure , about every vga card on the planet is supported , but if you try to run Tux Racer , it will tell you your card is not OpenGl compatible. Excuse me !? My GeForce’s not OpenGl compatible ? Fuck that ! nVidia makes crap drivers (and if they fail , your kernel dies) . Ati makes crap drivers. Voodoo is dead. And here i am with my Quake III for Linux , barely fragging while my Windows XP machine makes the Prince of Persia run around in 3D while picking its nose.

And i’m no Linux god whatsoever… i know barely nothing about Linux. Hell , i even had trouble removing Grub. :bigsmile:

as far as video graphics go nvidia is supported!:bigsmile:

evilentity installs the drivers no problem itsself.

as far as “major” distro goes weve got a half a million users.

other distro have too much bloat too many things that youre never gonna use.

we are using a new package system called xgn thats much better then slackwares or rpm packaging systems.

as far as everytime im posting about evilentity linux someone has to post about “itll never be a major distro” well our distro 0.2.5 has been as high as number 17 at one time on distrowatch.

as far as the statement goes “im the linux god around here” is just a stated fact.
i compile and build anything on any linux distro rpms, tgz ,and whatever.write bash scripts .edit files you name it .

and Dee-ehn i appreciate the fact that your gonna try the distro :slight_smile:

as far as spam goes im not advertising the distro were going to have a commercial release but you dont havta buy it !the iso well be on our website just like commercial.its unfair to take open source and withhold it because we are making money from someone elses efforts.itegrity all the way!its more like a donation if you want ya dont havta.

im also the maintainer of audio and xine
(i compiled and built the xgn packages for the 0.2.6 release).

as for those that wanna challege my linux knowledge im on irc.freenode.net #evilentity my handle is liberion

and MR.B they got better nvidia driver for linux now.

and MR.B they got better nvidia driver for linux now.

yay ! no more unstable binaries !

was a pain to install nvidia on redhat - boot to text only, try to remember emacs keyboard shortcuts…but in the end, i tuxed all over the snow. but 60+ fps half life @ good res made it all worthwhile.

there are no linux gods ;). only false prophets. what one person values another might wipe his ass with.

feel free to quote me on the ass wiping part.

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]was a pain to install nvidia on redhat - boot to text only, try to remember emacs keyboard shortcuts…but in the end, i tuxed all over the snow. but 60+ fps half life @ good res made it all worthwhile.

there are no linux gods ;). only false prophets. what one person values another might wipe his ass with.

feel free to quote me on the ass wiping part. [/B]

hmm nvidia not that hard to install .i understand you gotta go into /etc/inittab.conf and change the 5
to 3 but now the new installers do it mostly themselves.its alot easier.

as far as your quote “what one person values another might wipe his ass with” i dont agree with you on that note.ive used mostly freebsd and slackware based linuxes and can tell you that once you used a slackware distro you can run any linux distro because ya gotta do it mostly by hand you learn alot more quickly.other distros do the hard stuff for you so you dont learn by it.

well were getting off the subject anyway i hope you give evilentity 0.2.6 a chance.

and you guys need to give me credit where credits is due!

QUESTION-are there any other linux developers
on cdfreaks you know of?

Im an one of 3 main evile developers!

i agree though you cant learn everything about linux .

it was my intention at one time to recruit developers on this site but ive seen either noone cares or maybe its me.

i trully beleive if MR.B told you guys he was a developer on a linux distro youd say “GREAT”
“way to go!!” but since its me you can just make bad comments about me or my distro just because its me.

well guys im welcoming you that have some linux skills to help me with this project .

if you want to be a developer pm me!

:bigsmile:

or if you just wanna learn how to build rpms or packages let me know.

ive just started using linux a year and a half and to go from newbie to developer in that time is an accomplishment.good god what could i do later.

like i said im the linux god around here!!

i trully beleive if MR.B told you guys he was a developer on a linux distro youd say “GREAT”
“way to go!!” but since its me you can just make bad comments about me or my distro just because its me.

whoa there matey… first of all don’t say things in my name. i’m perfectly capable of boosting my own ego and do not need anyone else for it.

second of all , respect is earned , mockering as well and you shown lots of signals in the past regarding the latter.

I advise we all stop this futile discussion before it starts a topic-flame-war… or i’ll close this topic.

Yes I am a Linux developer… not for living, nor for any known programs etc etc, but…

When I finished university (bachelor degree), I developed Linux software for about 6 months. Nowadays I am doing my masters degree and I’m taking all the Linux/UNIX courses there are. For now, I’m playing around with filesystems and some security related issues… pretty nice stuff :slight_smile:

good to know theres another linux developer here
!

id like you to join us in this distro if ya like :smiley:

feel free to visit me on irc.freenode.net at #evilentity my login is liberion!!

[B]good to know theres another linux developer here
!

id like you to join us in this distro if ya like :smiley:

feel free to visit me on irc.freenode.net at #evilentity my login is liberion!! [/B]

I’ll consider it…

I’ve been quite busy nowadays, but on the other hand, this will get better soon and it’s a good place to learn a lot of practical things…

“what one person values another might wipe his ass with”

didnt mean that as a jab, just that something i would consider stellar, others would scoff at. im amazed when i have the motivation to clean my room. or my car. or my desk. if i could find my webcam in all this, i’d post a picture.

//on topic now, kind of

the new installers are the same as the old. nvidias goal was to create a driver that would be suitable for any flavor of linux. the various distros could perhaps write their own front for the driver, as well as for reconfiguring x.

what kind of file systems are you exploring? programming for them, or just the ins/outs. curious, as NACHOS made me hate filesystems programming.

taking a comp graphics course next semester, hope to have something to demo here :smiley:

well in evilentity 0.2.6 weve got an nvidia driver that installs itself.weve got nvidias permission to do this and were keeping this feature in the next release.

the nvidia module is built from source when installed at that moment so it works.

no need to download an nvidia driver for our distro weve got it built in.

as for files systems we are sticking with reiser the new reiser will rock!!

weve basically updated the base and rebuilding the libs.updating libs in a slackware based system are a real pain.then after weve rebuilt multimedia libs we can then rebuild media apps.
thatll be in a week!

ive had to perform alot of hacks to get things to work!

the new xine is terrifc!now all the codecs are built into it.

[B]well in evilentity 0.2.6 weve got an nvidia driver that installs itself.weve got nvidias permission to do this and were keeping this feature in the next release.

the nvidia module is built from source when installed at that moment so it works.

no need to download an nvidia driver for our distro weve got it built in.
[/B]

:bow: :bow: And does it support ALL nvidia cards ? The entire GeForce line ? (2mx/Ti/etc).

I can’t wait to try that out with Tux Racer and Quake III arena.

Hopefully… finally some smooth Linux desktop and apps.

yes it supports all nvidia

0.2.5 has the self installer also

here how to setup up nvidia drivers

1)run econfigure as root
2)setup video vertical and horizontal sychs
3)setup video 24 bit modes as 4321 some prefer 54321 but that is my preference and choose 24 bit when done (5)
4)say y to lookup card database
5)pick 322 which is nvidia geforce
6)set identifier as nvidia
7)and it installs nvidia drivers automatically
and its sucessful when you log into x and see nvidia splash screen

//whines for more features

automounting of local hard drives, regardless of the filesystem

ill check this one out when it comes out, thx to xmas i have spare computers everywhere :smiley:

I have a wishlist as well :slight_smile:

1. Automounting of USB memory sticks (good working please :))
  2. Fully working version of WineX for my Sis650 based VGA card :frowning: :frowning: