Evil Genius & kbeepm.sys!

vbimport

My son’s just bought and loaded on Evil Genius (together with the patch) which I believe is copy-protected
with Securom (as, I think) is Neverwinter Nights (which does not load kbeepm.sys). The installation has deposited a
memory resident system driver, kbeepm.sys, in Documents and Settings\john\local settings\Temp. This retched thing stays loaded and running even when the game isn’t running and there seems to be no way to delete it other than rebooting. The process or whatever it is is not identified as kbeepm.sys in Task Manager. Even when I do delete it after rebooting its back in all its glory as soon as the game is played. It appears to be quite memory hungry.

Can anyone tell me what this is? My guess is that it is something to do with the copy protection. Is there anyway to stop it loading? Or at least to get it to automatically unload itself on quitting the game?

Hope this is the right forum to post this and thanks for any help.

It’s securom 5’s driver. It uses a random name and is placed in the temp directory during the launch of the game. Normally it should be removed automatically once authentication is finished, but securom is known to be buggy and sometimes it remains loaded into memory.

Hi jarmstro,

Nearly every single media protection dumps files/drivers wherever it likes, and often forgets to remove them when the exe in question has been terminated.

Thanks for the information. Is there any way to unload the driver without having to reboot?