Evil Entity 0.2.5 login problems

vbimport

So i made some new partitions, yadayadaya and installed evil entity, looked like all was going well and it rebooted. Then it loads up and comes to the login screen. It never asked me what i wanted the root password to be. So now what? how do i login to get started?

I should also mention that i installed it on my windows xp drive, and now when lilo loads up it only shows linux to boot into? How an i add xp into the list?

Any ideas?

1. Are you sure about the root password? I only installed this distro once, but I remember that I had to give the root password during setup

2. When you are on the system, you can configure lilo (I believe this file is called lilo.conf) to boot from the XP partition as well.
    Before rebooting the system, you have to run lilo from the console, so that the new configuration can be initialized (if you made errors during the configuration, these will probably be displayed by running lilo)

ok i got the login part. How silly of me, i just had to type in root and hit enter for it to start configuration.

So i get it set up and my mouse doesn’t work, so i had to turn it off witht he power switch twice before hooking up a ps2 mouse instead of my usb mouse. Well i guess that screwed things up and elightenment kept giving me error messages non stop and it wouldn’t respond.

So i pulled a fdisk /mbr, and got back into xp. Then i tried to use partition magice 7 to repartition (i don’t think i gave it enough free space, i only gave it 2 gigs). Anyway, partition magic keeps giving me problems with error messages. First it was error 1555 errors found on disk. ASo i ran chkdsk and fixed them. Then it was error cross linked files.

Im just having a bad time getting this installed.

So now im back to having my windows xp partition with free space. Maybe ill try using cfdisk on the evil entity installation cd to partition instead.

Thanks for the help. I’ll fool around with lilo as soon as i get this up and running.

evil entity wont allow to choose the boot loader options & directly installs it in MBR !!!

plus the latest nvidia card supported is the Geforce1 !!

Originally posted by pps111
[B]evil entity wont allow to choose the boot loader options & directly installs it in MBR !!!

plus the latest nvidia card supported is the Geforce1 !! [/B]

Weird , because i have a LiLo configuration and my GeForce 2MX 400 works flawlessly on it. (Yes , with the NVidia drivers).

if a geforce1 is the latest card supported - its not their fault. nvidia supports all geforces on linux. its a matter of whether you can get them to work.

I was aleady using a bootloader (osl2000) with booting between win 98, win xp & linux.

after i installed evilentity …it installed LILO directly in MBR & i lost the osl2000 loader.

i had to :

1. boot into linux.

2. #lilo -U

3. Change lilo.conf to boot=/dev/hda8 (my boot partition)

4. #lilo (reinstall lilo)

after installation was completed, it autoran the xf86conf and the latest card i found supported was geforce (i have a gf2 mx)

i anyway slected & it worked

nvidia is doing a good job supporting linux & unix. they even have good support on their forums.

evilentitiy is good, cause it recomplied everything on my PC , but for a new person it isnt that user friendly.

I feel

Mandrake 9.1 > *

I installed mandrake 9.1, it autodetected everything (onboard gf2 mx, soundcard, lan, memory controllers, IDE drivers…) it ran fawlessly on my machine. i am looking forward to installing more linux systems on other machines after working a while on Mandrake 9.1

only problem i face is of installing programs, they keep on giving me somesort of libraries missing, after i download & try to install that libraries, it ask for other libraries…kind of get fustrated sometimes :frowning:

ps : i was trying out all linux distros since few days. tried : redhat 9.0, debian 3.0r1, slackware, SOT 2002, evilentitiy, lycoris, suse, mandake 9.1

according to me the best one is “Mandake 9.1” (very stable build, easy to use control panel, nice collection of softwares, good hardware support)

is there any program that automates the installation ?

it will download & auto install the needed or missing libraries rather than manually doing all this… ?:confused:

i have been tring to install new softwares on the linux m/c…but i never manage to finish it due to missing dependencies…

redhat has one. i think you have to pay mandrake to use theirs. their poor upgrade support is why i quit using their software :wink:

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]ok i got the login part. How silly of me, i just had to type in root and hit enter for it to start configuration.

So i get it set up and my mouse doesn’t work, so i had to turn it off witht he power switch twice before hooking up a ps2 mouse instead of my usb mouse. Well i guess that screwed things up and elightenment kept giving me error messages non stop and it wouldn’t respond.

So i pulled a fdisk /mbr, and got back into xp. Then i tried to use partition magice 7 to repartition (i don’t think i gave it enough free space, i only gave it 2 gigs). Anyway, partition magic keeps giving me problems with error messages. First it was error 1555 errors found on disk. ASo i ran chkdsk and fixed them. Then it was error cross linked files.

Im just having a bad time getting this installed.

So now im back to having my windows xp partition with free space. Maybe ill try using cfdisk on the evil entity installation cd to partition instead.

Thanks for the help. I’ll fool around with lilo as soon as i get this up and running. [/B]

well the evilentity distro decompresses to about 2 gig .you need 4 gig of free space.

guys evil entity has the best support hands down of nvidia cards then any other distro.its the one of the few distro that will set up glx accelleration automatically.if your distro need the nvidia drivers goto www.nvidia.com and get the drivers.we still working on most of the drivers.NNGod and Kloss have worked very hard on the nvidia drivers.guys you have any problems with nvidia let us know at our irc channel irc.freenode.net #evilentity.were trying to make this the best multimedia distro ever.me and NNGod will be working on more nvidia based drivers in about 2 weeks(me and NNGod only live 50km from each other small world!!)

guys also we need a distributor to package and sell our distro.DR 0.2.5 was meant to be sold but our dealer backed out on us.

any suggestions comments please feel free to post them at www.undeadlinux.com or on the irc channel.

good luck and if you have troulbe ill be more thehappy to help you.some strange or unusual situations happen on some computers that you cannot setup lilo properly we are working on it.a suggestion of MrB was the xosl bootloader.Kloss agrees with using the xosl to boot some systems.
way to go MrB!!:bigsmile:

good luck to all weare working hard to make this the best distro ever.

thanx MrB for introducing the distro to me.i would never have been on the development team.

good luck!!:bigsmile:

Originally posted by 2ndsign
[B]good luck and if you have troulbe ill be more thehappy to help you.some strange or unusual situations happen on some computers that you cannot setup lilo properly we are working on it.a suggestion of MrB was the xosl bootloader.Kloss agrees with using the xosl to boot some systems.

way to go MrB!!:bigsmile:

thanx MrB for introducing the distro to me.i would never have been on the development team.[/B]

Well , you’re most welcome. Pretty impressive , i would never dream you’d be on the development team of it so soon.
If Kloss is in favour of Xosl , perhaps you can mail Geurt Vos (the author) about it to implement a version of it inside the Evil Entity 0.3 instead of the normal (boring) Lilo. Or give users a choice to either have lilo installed and configured or not at all , so that people can install Xosl without having another bootloader after Xosl.

Have you had a chat with the people at sourceforge about printing cdroms ?

well hes not in favor of someone having windows on their machine at all or any machine for that matter(wine included LOL)

but the best setup to dual boot using 2 hard drives.one with evil entity and the other xp.

problem arise on some machines with evile and xp on same hard drive.thats when usually xosl comes into play.

a good suggestion MrB i will follow it up!:bigsmile:

sure people print some cds but Kloss wants to cut a major deal we got a real winner on our hands.

ive designed a cover for the installation disc but nothing definite yet!

we are thinking about in the next distro including mplayerxp i would be interested in comments here about that.

remember Kloss makes the final decision on everything.Great guy to work with.

Originally posted by 2ndsign
[B]we are thinking about in the next distro including mplayerxp i would be interested in comments here about that.

remember Kloss makes the final decision on everything.Great guy to work with. [/B]

We’re getting a little off topic here (and that is also my fault of course). No Xine ? Perhaps it’s better we discuss this in another thread.

@2ndsign

linux in general :

> i am really looking forward for some sort of better software installation tools. rpm/deb is great, but the dependencies stuff really gets hard sometimes on a new user.

also this can be helpfull while installing drivers…

> i dont know how of this is true. but i have like blown up my ext3 partition 3 times. its due to improper shutdown (mostly attributed to power failures). didnt have much data on my system though.

i plead sgi-xfs support by default. and bootloader to be able to recognize the xfs filesystem.

:bow: :bow: :bow: