Evil CD!

I’ve recently had to format my hard drive
every thing works well apart from my CD RW
It now just spins the disk in the drive whilst a little green light is just green. It then goes CLUNK the light dissapears, and stops spinning. Normally the light flickers and the CD auto runs. Now it just does nothing. The drivers are just the default windows drivers. It also no longer works with Nero 5 now that this has been done, only Nero 1.

OS Windows 98.

Can anyone help?

Brewer welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Normally the light flickers and the CD auto runs.
Autorun might be disabled, this is not a probem. Does it read the contents of the CD when opened? If not is the drive recognised under system devices/Bios?

And what do you mean it is not working with Nero5 but just Nero1?

No,autorun is enabled. It just spins the disk and then nothing happens. When I try and copy CDs it throws open the drawer and tells me to put in a blank CD when I’ve just tried about 5 CDs that are unused! It doesn’t work with Nero 5 as Nero won’t recognise the drive as the drive to burn CDs to. It will only use the image recorder. However I don’t have this problem when using Nero 1, here it will let me use my E: drive. It doesnt read teh contents of the CD. Windows just tells me that the E: drive is not ready. And I don’t know how to check about Bios or whatever you mentioned.

Well if it’s older drive that explains why newer Nero won’t work with it, as my old HP 8200 won’t work with Nero5 only 4.

To me it sounds like your drive maybe going.

Originally posted by Brewer
It then goes CLUNK the light dissapears, and stops spinning.

That’s what happened before my drive died.