Evidence of firmware change

vbimport

I bought a 32125W about a month ago and have only just had a chance to use it properly and have started backing up stuff on my HDs.

I have checked a number of CDs and many of them contain large numbers of damaged sectors. I have seen that many people have got better results by using new firmwares but if I upgraded the firmware and was still not satisfied, would Liteon be able to tell if I had messed aroung with the firmware even if I changed it back to the original? If I still get this many errors I will be sending the drive back.

Is the reason for the number of errors perhaps the media I am using? This is the information for them, they are 24 speed rated 700Mb discs.

ATIP: 97m 15s 11f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Also could the errors be caused by doing too much at the same time as burning. I am usually running IE and not much else. Shouldn't smartburn take care of this?

Some of my discs are returning as much as 50% plus damaged.

Thanks for your help.
Ian

EDIT: My firmware is WBS2 and I am burning the above discs at 24X with SB enabled.

Those ritek discs is not the best discs availible…

I thought that might have something to do with it. It doesn’t happen with every burn though. I guess I could just use them up and check each disc, or perhaps burning at 20X or 16X would be better?

So how about whether Liteon can tell if I have changed firmware if I end up sending it back?

Also I never got errors with my old Mitsumi 4802TE using the same media.

I doubt they would take the time to check the fw…but you can just flash back to your old fw using mtkflash…just make sure to save to a floppy