EVGA is the first manufacturer to replace the driver DVD with an USB stick

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/evga-is-the-first-manufacturer-to-replace-the-driver-dvd-with-an-usb-stick-84314/

Graphic card and main board manufacturer EVGA has announced it will replace its driver DVDs with 8GB USB sticks. The move is likely motivated by the fact that more and more computers no longer contain an optical disc drive.

Well, the costomer will the the higher price. But it will not be a big difference if you buy mainboards/graphic cards for some hundreds of €/$

But a graphics card, get a USB drive. That’s two for the price of… well… two.

There may be one problem with this strategy: if the drive is writable, it can become corrupted, which means the user may be stuck without a driver. Granted, that would only happen if the user is suddenly unable to access the internet. If they could make read-only devices, that would help plenty of users.

Also, I’m curious to know if EVGA really needs 8 gigs. On one hand, that would be quite the bloated driver. On the other hand, it could be that these 8gb drives just happen to be the most cost-effective option available to EVGA.

I´m sure a SL-DVD would be enough for the drivers :wink: . And sometimes I´m glad to for store data on a WORM-media :slight_smile:

8GB-USB-flashdrives are cheap, but DVD would be cheaper. So the consumer would pay for it. But if you buy a graphic-card/mainboard for >200$/€ it doesn´t matter much.

On the other hand, how often do you use a driver-DVD/USB-flash in this case? I used it after build the system, and then I get updates via internet.

Does the USB stick have write protection?

Nope…

So not malware proof.