Ever spent 2+ hours backing up dvd with Ripit4me & DVDdecrypter?

vbimport

Using Ripit4me rev. 1.7.1.0 and DVDdecrypter rev. 3.5.4.0 I have backed up many a dvd. The process was fast and simple, and for its time these programmes were state-of-the-art, no doubt about it.

But now, we need some author of those two, or author of dvd playback software, to step up and write new software that is basically emulating a dvd-player running playback software!

Why? Because the Industry has invented the killer app against dvd backup, their latest dvd:s use good old keyboard buffer technology!

The keyboard buffer is basically a round or circular file with no beginning, and no end.
And, now the dvd has the same characteristics.
If you read a dvd the full circle more than 70 GB is stored on it, and now somebody realized that removal of most EOF (end-of-file markers) in dvd-files will cause the above mentioned programmes to read redundant information in order to spend unnecessary time and waste harddisk space. When starting to read a file from file start read will pass over file end because the EOF was not present, and will read the spinning disc until finding EOF in any read sector.

You lose 2+ hours, but the dvd is stored on disc OK. You can watch it, no problem. But you cannot copy 70+ GB to a dvd-5 or dvd-9. I have to bow to the inventor, it is so clever while still so simple.
When a dvd has 100+ files you should get suspicious, still files may claim to have small size. Or, may tell truth that 71,8 GB are stored.

For example, try these babes: ‘Powder Blue’ or ‘Defiance’.

What we need now is a new approach. Read dvd while emulating playback software, In each file, only read the number of images required from that file and save them with trailing EOF in a new file with same name on a hard drive. Repeat until the complete movie has been “played”. Now it’s a
snap to backup the dvd from the new hdd files.

The 70+ GB copy protection has even spread to Sweden, an obscure Swedish dvd is also causing problems: ‘Tur Med Vädret lgen’.

This is how I see it, will watch your comments with interest.
rgds
capnVideo:cool:

You can do it fine, if you know which title to copy. Just play the DVD on a standalone player or a program like PowerDVD and look at the on screen display. That’s the title number you want to copy.

Or else buy a program that is updated often to do these problem dvd’s, such as dvd NextCopy, dvdfab, & Anydvd because those two programs you mentioned will never be updated anymore

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2469535]You can do it fine, if you know which title to copy. Just play the DVD on a standalone player or a program like PowerDVD and look at the on screen display. That’s the title number you want to copy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you could do that, but personally I do not have the time, or for that matter, the inclination. Rather like watching paint dry, don’t you think? Not wanting to invent the wheel again, if I had the source of a decent dvd playback software I’d convert it myself along my suggested guidelines. Youbetya! And it would be shareware, available to all!
After two weeks of too little sleep I have a bad case of fatigue, and thank you for not critizizing the logic behing storage of 70+ GB on a 8.5 GB or smaller disc, but the numbers go up
relative to the number of files * the amount of bytes to read until encountering an EOF.
rgds
capnVideo:D

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2469608]Or else buy a program that is updated often to do these problem dvd’s, such as dvd NextCopy, dvdfab, & Anydvd because those two programs you mentioned will never be updated anymore[/QUOTE]

I sure wish these dvd were the odd problems, but this is just the beginning of opening a can of worms! This is the ultimate copy protection scheme the Industry have been praying for!
H*ll, the don’t need cell manipulation any more once they ballooned the films out of fitting on a dvd! Don’t expect Ripit4me or DVDdecrypter to ever be updated, but am challenging personell who helped create them to stand up now and address the new issues ASAP. I will sign on the team if you want me, I have the ballpark overview of how to write the new software, and could cheer the authors with positive ideas all along the construction!
There for you
capnVideo:iagree:

@capnVideo,

Both DVDFab and AnyDVD already work on the basis of the principles you suggest and it’s been that way for a long time now (since 2007 as far as I recall).

DVDFab uses it’s ‘PathPlayer’ technology and AnyDVD has ‘AI Scanner’.

The basic idea behind both technologies is similar though.

BTW you’re allowed to name specific DVDs so I’ve unscrambled the titles in your earlier post.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m not sure on this but I believe there were some legal issues regarding DVD Decrypter so thats why the author doesn’t upgrade it anymore and doesn’t stand up and address the issue as you put it, maybe the same with Ripit4me too. Maybe somebody else knows for sure will pop in

^As I recall, LUK was threatened with a lawsuit in England by Macrovision, and had to give up the rights to the program (DVDDecrypter) in the settlement. So there is no possibility of it being updated.

Ripit4Me was shut down by Sony in Australia. More threats of lawsuits, and major revisions required by Digital Digest in their forums on the types of articles they would allow there. They had some great guides to decryption that disappeared. The FixVTS author was also under fire, and forced to stop development on his program.

Thanks Kerry

[QUOTE=Wombler;2469676]@capnVideo,

Both DVDFab and AnyDVD already work on the basis of the principles you suggest and it’s been that way for a long time now (since 2007 as far as I recall).

DVDFab uses it’s ‘PathPlayer’ technology and AnyDVD has ‘AI Scanner’.

The basic idea behind both technologies is similar though.

BTW you’re allowed to name specific DVDs so I’ve unscrambled the titles in your earlier post.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry for late reply, but my intention was to run a benchmark test between DVDFab and AnyDVD. So far DVDFab has 2 touchdowns and 1 fumble, while AnyDVD failed to appear at the arena. In May of 2007 I tested a few of their programs, and eventually bought two of them, notAnyDVD though, I uninstalled it. Suppliers tend to leave all kinds of garbage in Vista registry, so I was unable to run evaluation copy of AnyDVD, but when I explained the problem to them no way they would give me a temporary evaluation key - or they don’t wanna face DVDFab in combat out in the field? Think so, told them all about it…
DVDFab crashed and burned with error 401 with Defiance, and mysteriously PathPlayer was disabled while set as always enabled? But their crash log is amateurish, they have all info but display practically nothing in the log??
Seems to me DVDFab has an advantage over AnyDVD, but I still think shareware is the way to go. There is room for a new player here, and myself I have already given my best shot.
rgds capnVideo:iagree: