EVER here of a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S?

vbimport

suppose to be a Panasonic, but in device manager is says it is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S. trying to figure out if the dvd burner is any good or not.

Panasonic and Matshita (sometimes known as Matsushita) are the same company.

This is a newer version of the drive that I have in my laptop, a Matshita UJ-840S.

IMO the Matshita 840S isn’t nearly as good as my desktop drives for burning DVD media, but it’s a very good CD-R burner. If I use only those DVDs that are favoured by the drive and write them no faster than 6x, the results are OK.

My experience with the 840S may or may not be relevant for the 850S.

Congrats on your first post at CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Hi! I have a compaq nx6310 notebook with MATSHITA UJ-850S DVD-RAM, and few days ago, nero told me for a DVD+RW (TDK) that’s an DVD-ROM disc. I write and erased many times this disk, and it worked! I tried the disk in my friends computer and that wrote it fine. I have the same problem with multisession disc, it also see the drive as a DVD-ROM. I really don’t understand. It’s write the disc at one session fine. I tried look after firmware update but i can’t find it anywhere. Pls, help me!

There is no firmware update.

Solve your problem by uninstalling crap software like Alcohol and not using Bitsetting for RW media.

I have been uninstalled alcohol120%, and now i can finallly use my dvd+rw discs. Thx a lot chef :smiley:

Uh, easier than I thought.

Good that it worked. :wink:

my dvd named MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-860H

[QUOTE=naughtywl;2063750]my dvd named MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-860H[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum. :smiley:

hi… i also have matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850s…

my problem are it cannot finish burning… it only burn half way and then failed… i am burning using nero and burning , the message like this came out “unspecific recordable error”…

at first i though it is because the software, so i uninstall nero and try ashampoo burning studio 8, but the problem still happen…

why???:confused::confused::confused:

pls help me

@ eyeshield,

Welcome to the Forum.

Panasonic/Matsushita/Matshita drives have a well-documented history of being extremely “Media” picky. Panasonic/Matsushita/Matshita drives require the use of high quality top of the line Media. The use of lesser grade Media will only prove to be problematic.

Suggest only using known proven high quality top of the line Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media which consistently produces quality error free results.

Regards,
bjkg

sorry, i dont understand the term line Media,what is line Media…??

Hi,[quote=eyeshield;2110499]sorry, i dont understand the term line Media,what is line Media…??[/quote]whole term is “high quality top of the line media”, and examples were given.

Michael

ooo… i understand now…

but before this, i try to burn at DVD+RW CyberHome (the cheap one),
it burn completely wihout a problem, but now i try on the same DVD it failed…

Thanks 4 the advice… i will find the new DVD

[quote=eyeshield;2110499]sorry, i dont understand the term line Media,what is line Media…??[/quote] “Top of the line” - - the best (most expensive) in a given line of merchandise

Top of the line media would be the generally accepted best quality media, and thus also among the more expensive media.

Two examples that come to mind are:

Verbatim (outside Asia) also known as Mitsubishi (in Asia)
Taiyo Yuden

My Matshita UJ-840S drive (not 850S) hates a lot of DVD media that burn well on other drives, and only really likes Taiyo Yuden DVD+R media (8x or 16x). It doesn’t like most Verbatim DVD media very well either. It’s an extremely picky drive, but I’m not sure if your UJ-850S is as picky as my UJ-840S.

I would follow the advice given previously and restrict yourself to using known good media on your Matshita drive - Taiyo Yuden if you can find it, or Verbatim. I also suggest trying to burn at 6x or even 4x if you have problems burning at full speed (8x) on your drive.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2110520]
My Matshita UJ-840S drive (not 850S) hates a lot of DVD media that burn well on other drives, and only really likes Taiyo Yuden DVD+R media (8x or 16x). It doesn’t like most Verbatim DVD media very well either. It’s an extremely picky drive, but I’m not sure if your UJ-850S is as picky as my UJ-840S.[/QUOTE]

My UJ-850S is extremely picky too. I have good experiences (for 8x writing) with MCCs (especially the +R ones), TYs and Gigastorages (for some strange reason).
4x is a much safer speed with this drive and at this speed it can handle almost all decent and supported media.

thanks… it realy work, it burn completely when i used Verbatim…

and i also bought panasonic DVD-RAM, but my matshita did not read it at all…why??

@ eyeshield,

Are you certain that the particular MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the Panasonic DVD-RAM Media you are attempting to use is supported by your Matshita DVDRAM UJ-850 drive?

Regards,
bjkg

i certain because i have used it before, and it burn and read without a problem

it ok, it can read now, i dont know, suddently it work…hehe

Had a Toshiba laptop with a Matshita dvdrw, thoudgt it was one of the better drives made for laptops–apparently sony did also cause they put them in Vaios instead of thier own unreliable sony drives.