Ever hear of "Contagious operator malfunction"?

vbimport

I spent yesterday and much of last night and early this morning dealing with a problem on a customers computers, and got more frustrated when I had the same issue on my backup desktop…

spending time reading posts on the various Microsoft forums and nothing particularly revealing came up…

The issue was in inability to set file associations so that a specific program would open selected file types.

It seems that Windows Media Player 12 was set as default…
but the customer (on my recommendation) was trying to set Windows Media CENTER as the preferred program for video files…

I like WMP as an audio player, but Media Center deals with videos and video libraries better.

But Media center was NOT available as a choice…

As it turns out the reason for the “issue” was so stupid as to be mind boggling…

In Control Panel>Default Programs>Set File associations
where you are choosing what program to open each file type with…

When you choose “Change programs” the already selected program often appears to be the only choice…

Here’s the stupid part, mind you I am far more familiar with Windows7 professional, (When I originally set up my computer these choices were visible by default (without clicking the blue text)

The plan was if I couldn’t resolve the issue that I would reinstall windows on both of them to resolve the issue…

What is the issue? when the box opens up you need to click on the blue text “Other Programs” to see the choices.

Personally it took a nights sleep to forget my friend’s explanation of the problem and look at it without preconceived notions and discovered myself reflexively clicking on the blue text…

Revealing that the issue was one of “contagious operator malfunction”, thus no issue at all…

I’m not sure I’m going to be able to keep a straight face when I explain the exact nature of “the problem”