Even NEWER new SecuROM

vbimport

I've posted this under the NWN post since this is the first game this has occured in, BUT I think it merits a separate thread aswell since it seems to be an even NEWER version of new SecuROM as of July 15th, all NWN backups worked until patch 1.21 which was done on July 16th, BioWare are the folks that wrap the executable with the SecuROM protection. All correct backup CDs worked up to patch 1.20. So Sony has gotten more aggressive in how SecuROM does its checks or they've done something that can distinguish the backups from originals even in DVD drives or CD drives......however this seems to also affect some systems with the original Play Disc aswell. So based on this it would be nice to see if some enterprising individuals would be able to tell us what's going on. Would this be like the upgrade of Safedisc going to Safedisc 2 with it's EFM?

Also they have 1 or 2 programs that they are sending out to users with this issue to test on their system to discover what is "wrong" with this new SecuROM....I'll try to get them and is there anyone that would mirror these on a site?

As another aside this may affect the next patch of Warcraft III so beware.

Below I'll post the direct quote from one of the BioWare employees from the NWN forums:

We received a follow-up email late yesterday from Securom with some new information. It appears that there was a miscommunication in regards to the day that Securom code was changed. The information we reported yesterday was inaccurate.

This is the current situation.
There was new code put in place on July 15th by Securom. We encrypted our executable on July 16th. We weren't made aware of the code change until late
yesterday.

We are working with Securom to determine all the ramifications of this added code. If you are having any issues starting the game with the 1.21 patch installed, please contact Infogrames support http://www.ina-support.com/ . We need them to collect information from you so we can work with Securom on this.

Dave and Derek have been on the phone this morning with Securom checking on this update as we speak.

(Update)
There seems to be some people stating that by disconnecting their CDRW off the IDE Channel it will allow it to work.

we have examined NWN, fact is that LiteOn 24102B makes a lot of subchannel reading errors, to much. You can read this game with every better reader like a Tosh or a Plex. Writing is not the problem. The users that load down the patch made a big mistake, the patch changes the copy protection completely. The protection is now very like that one on “Arx Fatatlis” and the original CD needs now “Hide CD-R” from CloneCD to run in CD/DVD-ROM. (LOL) I think there will be another patch for the NWN costumers. :slight_smile:

Ok this brings up a few questions for me. Are all LiteOn’s affected by this “bad subchannel reading”? Or just the 24102B? Also what can you do if CloneCD reports that your DVDROM does not support reading of Subchannels? Have to get another DVDROM?

Originally posted by Cyn
Are all LiteOn’s affected by this “bad subchannel reading”? Or just the 24102B? Also what can you do if CloneCD reports that your DVDROM does not support reading of Subchannels? Have to get another DVDROM?
No. Many. Wait for a Clone Upgrade which may not help. Yes :wink:

If i’ve read well, Is it necessary to mark HIDE CDRMEDIA even you play with the original?? Is it legal?? I think it make no sense not can play with an original game if you don´t have clonecd tray installed in your PC. What would have happened if Olli hadn’t be born???:slight_smile: :slight_smile: