"Once the three largest US TV stations, CBS, NBC, and ABC (is that right?), no more have that much power due to competitions from all sides."
The only true competition to CBS/NBC/ABC was FOXNews, and the only reason it could compete with them and take a 'bite' out of the former 'kings' reach is not because they came on the scene and solely 'competed,' but because the owner of FOXNews had sufficient $$$ and personal connections to keep his enterprise afloat and thereby weather the 'muscle' from CBS/NBC/ABC by getting at least as much airtime as the major networks. Had he not had the foundation he established, nor sufficient $$$ and connections, FOXNews would not have succeeded strictly based on fairer and more far-reaching reporting; on that basis alone, it would have failed miserably and not be around today. Also, had FOX in general not been able to show and demonstrate the unfair tactics used against it by the other networks (and therefore show how under-handed they were) in sufficient quantity, few people would have found out the truth of what the 'big 3' tried to do to FOX. Human nature is inherently lazy and at best, only 10% at the most ever investigate things to find out the truth; the other 90% only responds if the work is done for them and they are shown why.
As human beings, we like to think the 'underdog' can always win. However, if the 'underdog' has no way to make 'the playing field level' or can't compete on the same terms, the underdog will not succeed and soon disappear. The record of human history is even when people have spoken the truth and there was a controlling power (i.e., the Spanish Inquisition), they could only have their voice heard for a brief moment in time, but were quickly silenced. The fact is, unless one has sufficient connections, money and backing, it does not matter how wonderful a truth or product is one might invent; it will not succeed unless there is sufficient resources at hand to make sure people know about it, be aware of why it's better, and be able to 'break into the market' and consequently outmanuver the competition.