Europe Dying Out?

Just heard on the news, that Europe only has 1.4 children per couple. With that statistic it was said that Europe is not replacing the death rate and they need 2.1 children per couple. Is Europe dying out?

You guys better get busy !!
:eek:

I’ve got 3.2 children. :bigsmile:

In my opinion, everything seems to be fine, there’s probably a reason why they don’t have too many children (over-population, economic, or something). The population will stabilize.

Kind of like Darwin’s theories of natural laws :confused: . Anyways, I hate evolution, but some parts (like population) are true, and that could be the case in Europe.

This would also explain the reluctance to go to war. Not meant as an insult btw. Countries with lower birth rates tend to value their individuals more. So in warfare, a country that loses a thousand soldiers but has an extremely high birth rate like China for example is not going to think about pulling out. A country like France…wait bad example, they would pull out anyway :slight_smile: A country like England with a low population rate will not tolerate losses like that. That is why in Vietnam, the leaders were willing to sacrifice 11 Vietnamese to 1 american. They knew that with their birth rate, they could overcome these losses while the Americans would cringe at losing so many of their own.

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
That is why in Vietnam, the leaders were willing to sacrifice 11 Vietnamese to 1 american. They knew that with their birth rate, they could overcome these losses while the Americans would cringe at losing so many of their own.

Don’t think the birth rate had that much influence :slight_smile:

But this is indeed becoming a big problem in Europe. We don’t have enough people to support the excellent social security system. So we have to make a whole lotta children, start importing others or kill of the elder people.

I guess it’s pretty normal that Europeans are having less and less children. After the second world war, and once again after the cold war, a true baby-boom existed in Europe. That explains the crowdiness partually.

Now, quite some years later, people are having less and less babies for various reasons. I guess what’s happening ain’t more than normal!

The world is overpopulated anyway…
The world growth rate should stabilize at least, but preferably decrease for a few years…

Just yesterday the newspapers announced that for the first time in a couple of years, our population grew. Soon we’re 9 million people :slight_smile:
There’s alot of space left up north though…
U’re welcome if you don’t mind a little cold (was -33C this weekend :))

Originally posted by Airhead
Just yesterday the newspapers announced that for the first time in a couple of years, our population grew. Soon we’re 9 million people :slight_smile:
There’s alot of space left up north though…
U’re welcome if you don’t mind a little cold (was -33C this weekend :))

I got cold just by reading your message. Thank you for the offer but will stay right here for now. But I have always wanted to visit Sweden and Scotland and Finland and rest of the north. But I don’t think I can handle the cold.

That is not why we are reluctant to go to war, many of us just don’t feel confident being lead by a country with a brainless idiot for a leader (oh and plus I don’t like the idea of pre-emtive striking. They can’t prove that Iraq have weapons of mass destruction )

Originally posted by AtomicX
That is not why we are reluctant to go to war, many of us just don’t feel confident being lead by a country with a brainless idiot for a leader (oh and plus I don’t like the idea of pre-emtive striking. They can’t prove that Iraq have weapons of mass destruction )

Why? Why? I see the flame war starting again. Do you want to see these things? Dude, why do you have to make this thread into another battleground? You are almost trying to be offensive. This thread had nothing to do with Bush or anything else relating to the US. Is there a reason why you want another heated argument that would result in the closing of this thread?

Originally posted by AtomicX
They can’t prove that Iraq have weapons of mass destruction )

As if they don’t have weapons of mass destruction themselves :slight_smile:
Their nuclear weapons are friendly and nice while Saddam’s weapons are evil.

A war against iraq would accomplish nothing except suffering and death for innocent civilians and children. The US will never catch Saddam, just as with bin Laden.
It’s all about the oil. Money talks…

Who says they want to catch Saddam or Laden ?
They need fanatic leaders like those so they can justify their acts.

oH YEAh! America sux! We should go and bash them for being so selfish with their large army and their huge “economy”. Where the hell is the US flag I bought? I need something to burn! Burn in hell America! You suck! I hope Bin Laden blows the rest of you to pieces!!!

:Z

Sad, sad, sad. Nothing more to say. Sad that this thread degraded to such a low level. Oh well, i guess thats the atmosphere here.

we didn’t mean it in a bad way - our comments were with good intentions :slight_smile:
There you go :

OK everyone just stop the war stuff, and get back to European Population (or lack there of).

any chance that france might fall victim to the lack of people problem?

That’s a big flag Judas, if you weren’t already banished for betraying Jesus I’d have you flogged for messing up the page layout like that! :slight_smile:
No the French will survive, remeber, they were the ones that discovered that snails are edible…