EU bans vacuum cleaners over 1600 watts from Sept 1st

vbimport

From the 1st of September, manufacturers will no longer be allowed to make or import vacuum cleaners that exceed 1600 watts within the European Union.

Just a few months ago when I was looking for a vacuum cleaner to replace a falling-apart Dyson, I couldn’t get over the crazy wattages some models were reaching. The model I ended up going with was a Henry rated at just 1200 watts. We mainly operate it in its 600W eco mode, which is plenty and seems to suck more dirt out than the previous Dyson.

For example, with a quick look at Amazon UK’s top-selling vacuum cleaners, there is a VonHaus 2400W. My Dad’s electric concrete mixer has a 600 watt motor and has no problem mixing several wheelbarrows of heavy concrete and here we have a vacuum that uses 2400 watts just to suck up dust!

According to the Expert Reviews site, most vacuum cleaners over 1400 watts are very inefficient, where the rated wattage ends up being a marketing figure and little to do with its actual suction power.

Further info in this article.

I ordered a 1200W Miele vacuum cleaner last week. We already reduced the power level because at full power it’s too much and you can hardly use it. Doing a better job than our old 1700W cleaner

I checke my “Shop Vac” it is rated at 8.5 amps
The conversion I found said to multiply amps X voltage = watts.
8.5 X120 = 1020

My home canister vac is 9.5 Amps so 1149 watts.

My Hoover Deluxe upright I couldn’t find any tap with this information .
I suspect it is also under 1600 watts.

I just saw another article that this ban is going to be extended to vacuum cleaners over 900 watts in 2017.

That effectively means that 99+% of current vacuum cleaners will be banned. :eek:

They also say that 30 household appliances could be restricted next year, including kettles, toasters, lawn mowers and hair-dryers.

While vacuum cleaners can be improved such that there is more suction per watt, it is technically impossible to improve the energy efficiency of most cooking appliances without using another source of heat besides electricity.

For example, a 1.5kW kettle takes twice as long as a 3kW kettle to boil the same amount of water, so even though it uses half the power consumption, the accumulated energy usage will be the same, i.e. absolutely no energy saving. It’s similar for a toaster - reduce the power of the elements and it’ll take longer to toast the bread.

As for hair-dryers, well let’s just say that there are going to be a lot of unhappy ladies out there complaining about how long their fancy new hair dryer takes to dry their hair.

Basically the end result in many cases is wasting people’s time with appliances that take longer to perform, with little to no energy saving.

[B]Edit: [/B] Interesting comment on the BBC article: :wink:

I hope they don’t do that in the US .
If more efficient vacuum cleaners with the same amount of suction are developed . Good. smaller lighter duty motors don’t hold up as well.
I guess I would have to engineer adapting a larger motor to my shop vac.
Dish washers use more watts than that.
So do electric clothes dryers .

I’m not concerned about hair dryers I think the lower heat is better for a persons hair . I rarely use one anyway .

I wonder if this is to reduce overall power usage, or reduce peak power usage at any one given point in time (as you’d have to do if a power grid was becoming overloaded).

I had a look at the actual draft document on how various appliances will be tackled and it turns out that it’s not about reducing the wattage on some as the news stories suggest, apart from vacuum cleaners and hair-dryers.

With toasters, their draft would be to have a switch or sensor so that if one slice of toast is put in, the second slot does not heat up and that the slots close to hold the heat in while on. I’m not sure how that would work with tall slices. :slight_smile:

For kettles, the draft suggests a quicker cut-off when the water boils and reduced thermal mass so that most of the heat energy heats the water. The main issue that was discussed are kettles that keep the water hot, as those use more energy than an instantaneous hot water dispenser.

As for hair-dryers, they are indeed discussing about the wattage.

There are some appliances they list as excluded for the foreseeable future, such as barbecue grills.

Here in the USA similar measures are underfoot. Examples are a Government mandate for more lumens per watt (essentially banning incandescent bulbs), ‘Energy Star’ (which while currently voluntary is a huge selling point in most any purchase), ‘Low Flow’ toilets, etc.
As an appliance repairman I question some of these Energy Star practices. An example is dishwashers. Over the generations they have become much more complex now requiring a laptop running proprietary software to repair them, yet to my knowledge no manufacturer has implemented a simple automated latch that would open the door at the end of the cycle making air drying a more attractive option.

How long before they ban crossfire graphics cards?

Computer PSU’s are required to meet efficiency standards, but the rate they are going, I can see them outlawing the >1000W models that power multiple GPU setups.

As for vacuum cleaners, there has been a trend to refer to “air watts” of suction power, and not mention the actual power usage - as otherwise, you might think a higher wattage would be “more powerful”, though it may just be less efficient.

@ olyteddy , My dad was an appliance repairman. (He has long passed).
I learned to rebuild washing machines at an early age .
My dad financed this & made so much per machine from a business that sold used appliances. I also got part of that.
I went into auto mechanics though but it was good experience.

I still want my incandescent bulbs where I want them .
I hate this “Big Brother” aspect of my US government which is supposed to allow us the be free.
I use a lot of florescent & compact florescent already.
They just don’t work as well for a heavy duty drop light bulb .
Or for a backyard flood light . Neither do LED bulbs
Especially for quick on at cold temperatures.

I think the idea by restricting power consumption, is to force the manufacturers to improve the efficiency of their product, by getting the same suction from a lower power motor.

My first new car had a 1.6 litre engine, and produced 105BHP, and managed an average of 37MPG. My new car is also a 1.6 litre engine, although its one of those new S.I.D.I engines. It produces 143BHP, and averages 52MPG. So it’s more fuel efficient and faster than the old car.

Car manufacturers were forced to make their cars more fuel efficient. So it can be done.

so you really have to wonder what the intelligence level of the EU officials you dream up this nonsense is.

Posting my point of view about their intelligence level would be a major sin against the forum rulez…:bigsmile::iagree:
The EU parliament would better cut down on wasting electricity …at night,there is more light in the cities than during the day…:eek:

This is crazy EU politics. We, the user, want more power and they reduce the power. Sure, all this people have a charwoman and so the problem is not theirs. But we, on one arm the baby and in the other hand the vacuum cleaner, we need more power :wink:

[QUOTE=DVDranger;2735773]This is crazy EU politics. We, the user, want more power and they reduce the power.[/QUOTE] They are ignoring the wisdom of the great Tim the Tool Man Taylor: More Power! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2735771]The EU parliament would better cut down on wasting electricity …at night,there is more light in the cities than during the day…:eek:[/QUOTE] Maybe the EU Parliament should cut down the waste of having a traveling circus between seats in Brussels and Strasbourg?! :stuck_out_tongue: