Ethernet problem? help guys!

vbimport

hi there well i have just installed service pack 2 xp cd to clean my computer all up and whn trying to get my thomson speedtouch router set up i couldnt get it solved so i went to my computer right clicked (novice here!)and went to my computer right clicked and went to properties and then hard ware then device manager and in other devices i have 3 devices with big yellow question marks on them they are ethernet controller, video controller and vidoe controller vga compatible, they main thing is my ethernet one right? so i double click it here is the info on it. at the top there is general then driver then details then resources.

GENERAL: device type: other devices
manufacturer: unknown

driver status: the drivers for this device are not installed.(code 28)
to reinstall the drivers for the device click reinstall driver. which i do but it doesnt work because the wizard could not find the necessary software???

also in the driver . driver provider :unknown
driver date: not available
driver version: not available
can anyone tell me how i can fix this please im sorry but i dont know very much as im a newbie thanks for taking time out to read and thanks for any info you give me back. :o)

darren.:a

The drivers should be on mobo CD or may be downloaded from manufacturer’s site for the device.

First - write down the name of the software or hardware that is giving the problem. Try to get as much information about it as possible (version, dates etc.)

Second - Go to the manufacturer’s website (might have to use someone’s computer) and download the drivers and updates for that particular item.

Third - Upload them to your computer

Fourth - run the updates one by one, checking that the problem is resolved before moving to the other.

Fifth - After all of the updates are done, write yourself a little note about this episode so that you won’t go through it again

[QUOTE=darren1984;2152926]hi there well i have just installed service pack 2 xp cd to clean my computer all up and whn trying to get my thomson speedtouch router set up i couldnt get it solved so i went to my computer right clicked (novice here!)and went to my computer right clicked and went to properties and then hard ware then device manager and in other devices i have 3 devices with big yellow question marks on them they are ethernet controller, video controller and vidoe controller vga compatible, they main thing is my ethernet one right? so i double click it here is the info on it. at the top there is general then driver then details then resources.

GENERAL: device type: other devices
manufacturer: unknown

driver status: the drivers for this device are not installed.(code 28)
to reinstall the drivers for the device click reinstall driver. which i do but it doesnt work because the wizard could not find the necessary software???

also in the driver . driver provider :unknown
driver date: not available
driver version: not available
can anyone tell me how i can fix this please im sorry but i dont know very much as im a newbie thanks for taking time out to read and thanks for any info you give me back. :o)

darren.:a[/QUOTE]

Beyond the code error your giving us very little sparce information on your Rig system and software install to be of much help. You need to find what kinda hardware you have and check the manufacture site to get the correct drivers. Sounds like your missing the correct drivers and need to get them from the manufacture site. I never use the CD that comes with the computer because the manufacture site always have the update just the program driver itself not a bunch of useless installs I don’t want to install. Footnote SP3 is out there now if you have XP so get that and don’t use SP2 anymore.