ES25 does it support double sided?

I’m considering the ES25 because of the extra features that DVD-RAM gives you. It has been a few years since I’ve played with a DVD-RAM drive. In 2001 we had some G4 Macs at work that had DVD-RAM drives in them and I remember there being 4 and 8 gb discs. So do these RAM recorders support both types?

The 2 disc types are single sided and double sided. The drives you had at work probably used a different type disc. Current double-sided discs are fine, although usually more expensive “per side”. The Panny’s also support cartridge discs, which is fine if you don’t need to use the disc in a PC. The sizes are 4.7GB and 9.4GB, with 9.4 being double-sided.

Best place online to buy RAM discs is usually at Panasonic. Sign up for Club Panasonic and you’ll get great deals and free shipping.

Yeah, you’re right about the sizes. And these drives can access the full 9GB of data with out having to flip the disc over or anything, right?

I’m really torn between the es25 from Panasonic or the DVD-R145 from Samsung. The panasonic is missing a SPDIF port, but the Samsung is missing the 12bit dac and the higher quality recording. My sony receiver only has 1 spdif and 1 optical port so up until now the spdif was used for my dvd player and the optical port was used for my PS2.

But the other thing the panasonic has going for it is the cartridges. I hate it that DVD RAM carts never caught on that well. As far as I was concerned it was the perfect medium. A touchless optical medium in a hard case. That gets around the fingerprint and scratch issue with DVDs and the head crash issue that was common with ZIP and Jaz discs.

I have the Panasonic ES15 and use DVD-RW’s with it and appreciate the 500 line LP quality and the fact that 6/8 hour mode is acceptable visually. I have not yet used any DVD-RAM stuff with it.

Wrong, the discs must be turned over.

double sided DVD/CDs was something the industry wanted to avoid ever since the laser disc.

Ok I finally made the plunge and have found the 4 hour LP mode to be pretty decent, however I’ve been unable to figure out how to make the time slip mode work. When I press the button during a recording I get a (/) on the screen in red. The manual is pretty vague about it, it just says to press the time slip button and use the up and down arrows to go back into the video, so are there certain conditions that must be met for time slip to work?

Nevermind, I figured it out, press Play while recording and then it takes you back to the beginning and then you can FF and RW or jump ahead by minutes using the timeslip button.

I don’t even know what the Time Slip does yet. :slight_smile:

I should read the manual.

I believe it relates to playing a RAM disc while it is recording.

help me out here DVD-RAM harder to find more expensive, few standalone DVD players can play them. Yes some added features for the ES15/25 recorders but since they must be copied to other media to be played on most DVD players what is the point? Other than my ES25 the only place I can play them is on my PC. Reminds me of S-VHS, Super Bata, MDs better but just will fade away; when Walmart no longer carries the media it’s days are numbered.

Oh - ok. Thanks for telling me what Time Slip does.

Fred Meyer has DVD-RAM disks on sale all the time. Is cool.

But I am a very happy DVD-R/RW kind of guy. :slight_smile:

DVD Ram is nice because you can put a blank disc in straight from the box and hit record and you’re going in 1 to 2 seconds. Then hit stop and eject, put it in a PC and play it.

With any other RW media, you have to format the disc and then finalize it.

I bought some media today to try out. I’ve got TDK +RW, TDK -RW and TDK -R.

The +RW took 1 minute to format and when I finished recording, it said it needed to write the chapters and menus which took 5 minutes. When done it said something like “This player is not capable of viewing the menus” So when I put the disc in the Panasonic, it just starts playing without going to a menu.

The -RW took 1 minute to format and when I finished recording, it didn’t mention anything about writing chapters, but it did warn me that until I finalized the disc, I wouldn’t be able to use it in another device. I hit finalize and it took 9 minutes and it wrote out the menus like the other did. But when I put this in the Panasonic, it displays the video menu and I can select a chapter.

Anyone have an explanation for this? Why does +RW not mention finalizing but it wants me to set up menus. -RW wants to finalize and it set up the menus by itself (i.e. didn’t ask me for my input) and the 5 minute vs 9 minute ending.

You know, I don’t know the reason for it, but I do know that I’ve had trouble with +R/RW in both the Lite-On and Panasonic. DVD-R/RW seems to work best for the Panasonic, plus you get the extra fast-forward speeds of 30x, 70x and 200x. For some reason, DVD+ does not give you that on that machine. Very odd.

So I guess that’s why I just keep on harping on the DVD-R/RW thing, cause it just seems to work right.

I think I will try messing with that DVD-RAM thing a bit. After all, I do have one disk that came with the recorder, so I might as well give it a shot.

I tried the -RW and +RW discs in my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive. The -RW disc came up right away and started playing, the +RW disc took about 20 seconds of spinning and seeking to get started.

I also burned a -R disc and it played fine in my ancient Sony DVP-S530P. That player was over $400 when I bought it. It has SPDIF/Optical, 5.1 channel outputs (one jack per channel) built in DTS decoder (it can play DTS discs on a non DTS receiver), component out and can play Video CDs as long as they are recorded on CDRW discs.

One thing it can’t do is read CDRs. So it was a pleasant suprise that I could play the TDK -R disc in it. I’ve got a Philips DVD/VCR combo that has played everything the panasonic has spit out except the DVD-RAM disc.

I use RAM to transfer the video to PC for authoring a new DVD-Video. Saves a lot of fiddling around at the recorder in exchange for some time copying the file to the PC. But with a good authoring program like TMPGEnc, you get real menus and multiple titles and such, not the lame blue-screen menu off the recorder.
Anyway, it’s what I prefer to do.

I’ve been playing around with the RAM media and took a test recording I made on Sunday and FF’d it to the start of the commercials, then I’d advance frame by frame until I was on the black screen and then I’d hit the Chapter button. I’d do this at the start and end of each commercial break, then I’d go into the menus and delete the commercial breaks which allowed me to recover the space on the disc. As far as I’m concerned, DVD-RAM is the way media should have worked from the start. From a usability standpoint -RW and +RW did not improve upon much compared to CDRW media.

I also found out that while windows media player doesn’t recognize the .VRO extension that DVD RAM uses, PowerDVD does and will read the disc just fine.

Or optionally you can double click on the .VRO file and then assign it to Windows Media player. Then when you launch it, it will warn you that it is an unrecognized file type, just tell it to not warn you next time and the video will start playing.

My only complaints so far with the ES25 is, one, it is as ugly as sin. It looks like a piece of 1980’s technology and secondly, it turns itself off automatically when not used. Since I have everything going through it, I have to keep turning it back on because it will shut itself off.

VRO files are just MPG, and can be re-named to MPG and used in any application. The drawback is that if you have made multiple sessions on the disc, that information will be in the other file, not the VRO, so if you rename it to MPG and try to play it you may only get the first session. Likewise, chapters will be lost.