Errors when burner set to DMA

Hello there,

The saying goes: two heads are better than one. Anyhow, for about a month I have been trying to solve a problem relating to burning DVD+RWs. Any help to try to solve this mystery will be greatly appreciated for I have completely run out of ideas.

Relevant hardware involved:
Mainboard: Asus P5V800-MX (Via P4M800 + VT8521)
Mainboard Firmware: v 0802 (latest)
Processor: Intel Celeron D 2.66GHz, FSB: 533MHz, L1 Cache: 16k, L2 Cache 256k
RAM: DDR 400MHz
HDD: 2x Samsung SP2504C 250GB SATA2 in Mirror RAID configuration
Drives tested: Lite-On SHW-1635S, Lite-On LH-20A1P, Pioneer DVR-112DBK
Symptoms: Unable to correctly burn UDF DVD+RW

The story:
My replacement office PC. I have tried to get mainboard, which have the following:

• Integrated gameport/sound
  • Integrated graphics
  • 2 PATA 133 connectors
  • Built in SATA RAID

The Asus P5V800-MX fits the bill perfectly.

Integration consisted of:

• Proper RAM burn-in for 7 days with mem test
  • Proper HDD burn in test for 12 hours per drive
  • Install of Windows XP Pro SP1 OEM, followed by SP2

All went perfectly smoothly untill I tried burning a backup of a DVD (an ISO image) onto a Verbatim DVD+RW. The burn completed successfully at 4x, however Nero data verification failed. The same happened at 2x. I have run a file compare program CD Check v3.1.13.0 to check the ISO on my HDD and on the DVD+RW. The files did not match. The same 3 burners in a PC with Intel 965 chipset perform flawlessly at 2x and 4x with the same media. They burn with no errors each and every time on Verbatim and Mitsubishi DVD+RW media. I have not tried any other type of media, i.e. DVD-RW, DVD-R etc. I have 200 of the Verbatim and Mitsu DVD+RW, so I am keen to fix this issue.

I tried the following burning programs:

• Nero 6.3.1.25
  • Nero 6.6.1.15
  • Nero 7.10.1.2
  • CDburnerXPpro 3.0.116
  • CDburnerXPpro 4.0.022.370
  • InCD 4.3.20.1
  • InCD 5.5.31
  • CyberLink Power2Go 6.00.1005
  • NTI CD & DVD Maker Platinum 7.7.0.1100

The following DVD+RW disks:

• Verbatim
  • Mitsubishi

The following layers:

• Native Nero ASPI
  • System Aspi 4.6
  • System Aspi 4.71
  • Patin Couffin Internal Revision 37

The following BIOS setting for the DVD burner:

• Auto (all 3 burners were detected as UDMA 4)
  • Manual UDMA 4
  • Manual UDMA 2
  • Manual MultiWord DMA 2

The following IDE drivers:

• Native Windows XP
  • Via 4in1 v5.14A

Windows XP was re-installed twice and tested in various configurations as per above. I have even connected DVD burner to a SATA controller with a SATA to PATA converter with no change to erroneous burning process.

In any of the above combinations, only PIO mode for the DVD burner produces error free burning, however on this setup takes well over an hour to do 4.3GB data DVD, which is unacceptable. System log listed 2 errors, which I felt did not have much bearing on this problem. These errors happened during a multitude of restarts with different DVD burners for testing.

• The device ‘LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P’ (IDE\CdRomLITE-ON_DVDRW_LH-20A1P__________________KL0N____\5&19694ff7&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
  • Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for \Device\Scsi\SI3112r1.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback relating to this problem.

Regards, Mimes

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

RW discs are known to contain more errors than write once discs. To exclude the media as culprit, can you do a test writing some data on a write once disc? A verbatim disc is the better option (easy to find, and certainly a reliable disc).

Another thing you can do is change the IDE cables. A damaged cable can cause data corruption, and this explain the errors in the verification process after the burning. I suggest to use a 80 wires cable (the old 40 wires ones are not good for recent burners). The liteon 20A1P should run natively in UDMA4.

I also suggest to uninstall any packet writing software (they only cause a lot of problems). It is possible that after removing the InCD software anything will be solved.

Another thing that could explain this behaviour is a damaged hard disc. If there is some data corruption on your hard disc, it’s pretty straight that the verification process after the burning will fail. Try to run a checkdisk on all your hard drives.

At the moment I can’t think to other solutions :frowning:

Hi,QUOTE=Mimes;1970877
The following layers:

• Native Nero ASPI
  • System Aspi 4.6
  • System Aspi 4.71
  • Patin Couffin Internal Revision 37[/quote]ASPI is not needed at all on Windows XP.

(…)
Windows XP was re-installed twice and tested in various configurations as per above. I have even connected DVD burner to a SATA controller with a SATA to PATA converter with no change to erroneous burning process.
This would rule out cable issues, but VIA SATA controllers are not known to support ODD properly.
I’d suggest to replace the IDE cable ([B]must [/B]be an 80wired flat ribbon, length 18in/46 cm) at first.
Also, try both IDE connectors.

System log listed 2 errors, which I felt did not have much bearing on this problem. These errors happened during a multitude of restarts with different DVD burners for testing.

• The device ‘LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P’ (IDE\CdRomLITE-ON_DVDRW_LH-20A1P__________________KL0N____\5&19694ff7&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
  • Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for \Device\Scsi\SI3112r1.

You have also installed a SATA controller card (SiI3112)? What is connected there?

Michael

[QUOTE=geno888;1970946]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

RW discs are known to contain more errors than write once discs. To exclude the media as culprit, can you do a test writing some data on a write once disc? A verbatim disc is the better option (easy to find, and certainly a reliable disc).[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your suggestions. I am a bit of a PC freak. At present I have in my workshop 4 PCs with functional DVD burners. All burners are lite-On. Chipsets vary, however Chips are Intel only. These DVD+RWs never did nor are causing any problems on the other 4 PCs but this one. I will however try “write once” DVDs and verify. I burned some write once disks on this machine, but the source is deleted now so I can’t verify.

[QUOTE=geno888;1970946]
Another thing you can do is change the IDE cables. A damaged cable can cause data corruption, and this explain the errors in the verification process after the burning. I suggest to use a 80 wires cable (the old 40 wires ones are not good for recent burners). The liteon 20A1P should run natively in UDMA4.[/QUOTE]

I have tried 40 wire cable, 80 wire cable and SATA cable with no joy.

[QUOTE=geno888;1970946]
I also suggest to uninstall any packet writing software (they only cause a lot of problems). It is possible that after removing the InCD software anything will be solved.[/QUOTE]

Will try this one as well, thank you. Having said that, InCD is on my other 4 machines with no problems what so ever. On this PC it may cause problems.

[QUOTE=geno888;1970946]
Another thing that could explain this behaviour is a damaged hard disc. If there is some data corruption on your hard disc, it’s pretty straight that the verification process after the burning will fail. Try to run a checkdisk on all your hard drives.[/QUOTE]

Hard disks were fully tested and burned in - no problems there. VIA RAID may be the issue though. Interestingly enough, the PC runs perfect. I will run a full scan disk tonight.

[QUOTE=geno888;1970946]
At the moment I can’t think to other solutions :([/QUOTE]

Thank you for your suggestions. Will report any findings later.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1971220]This would rule out cable issues, but VIA SATA controllers are not known to support ODD properly.
I’d suggest to replace the IDE cable (must be an 80wired flat ribbon, length 18in/46 cm) at first.
Also, try both IDE connectors.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I have already tried both connectors (IDE 0, and IDE1), having the burner in as master with a DVD reader, then slave with a DVD reader, and then solo master and solo slave. No joy. Will try yet another 80 wire IDE cable, will report any success / failure…

[QUOTE=mciahel;1971220]
You have also installed a SATA controller card (SiI3112)? What is connected there?[/QUOTE]

This external connector was put in just to test burners hooked up to SATA connector through a SATA to PATA converter. I was hoping it might have been a cable or this particular Via IDE controller problem. Sil3112 is out of the system now.

Thank you, regards, Mimes

Just one thing to emphasise, burning in PIO mode produces each and every time 100% good burns ferified OK by Nero and CD Check. It just takes forever. DMA burns failed untill now each time in any of the 1000 permutations of the setup as outlined above. I have just tried Nero 8.2.8.0. I got 1 burn 100% good on Verbatim DVD+RW in DMA @4x, one burn with one error on Mitsubishi DVD+RW in DMA @4x. WIll keep you posted.

Hello there,

A bit of an update:

One of the HDDs (500GB Samsung SATA2 used for storage) came up with bad sectors. It will be swapped tomorrow under warranty. I was about to pop a bottle of Champaigne to celebrate, but would have been too soon. I moved some test files, images over 1GB to C:\ drive which is System drive and resides on a 2x 250GB Samsung SATA2 RAID 1 (mirror) setup. This setup was all clear with a low level HDD scan. I have also replaced an 80 wire ribbon IDE cable leading to DVD burner with a brand new one. WIth Nero 8 I now get about 50% burns OK, the other 50% fails Nero and CD Check verification.

Regards, Mimes

Hi there,

Just to let anyone reading this thread know:

The HDD got swapped, but it stilll did not resolve burning errors.

Then I hooked up the burner via a PATA to USB adapter and all is OK now. Goodness knows why all previous setup combinations simply refused to behave. I will leave it on USB indefinitely now.

Regards, Mimes