- I bought an unbranded BenQ 1620 PRO from Meritline.com and flashed it with G7Z9. It identifies itself as ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16, and displays a serial number.
- A month or so later, I bought a beige branded (i.e., says BenQ on tray face) BenQ 1620 (not PRO) from Newegg and flashed it with B7V9. It identifies itself as Ben! DVD DD DW1620, but does not display a serial number.
- I use Ridata 8x [RITEK R03], which burn at X12 on both drives.
- I use Nero Express to burn, and usually check the 'Verify data on disk after burning." The unbranded drive verifies flawlesslessly; the branded drive reports numerous sector errors.
- Despite reported errors on the unbranded, the DVDs play without noticeable errors.
- When using DVD Shrink to burn via Nero, the progress box shows 'Booktype set to: drive default", but a Booktype message doesn’t even appear in the unbranded drive.
- BenQ has offered to replace the branded drive with a refurb, but I’d like to know what the problem is before I jump to a solution.
Anybody have any ideas what’s going on here, especially the sector write errors on the branded? Its failure to report a serial number is troubling, but I wouldn’t care if it functioned as well as the other drive.