Errors Halfway Through when Playing DVDs

I just purchased the Clone program and EVERY dvd I try to burn is unsuccessful when I actually play it. There are no problems unlocking and cloning the DVD. But once I put it into the player and the DVD (all of the ones I burned so far) plays, there are always errors about half way through. It either starts glitching (visuals become very choppy) or suddenly reads “disk error” and will not play any further. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

( I use Fujifilm 4.7GB DVD-R disks. I also tried playing DVDs on two different DVD players and experienced the same problems. Two examples of cloned DVDs that had these problems are Click and Alien. )

Classic bad media or burning too fast symptoms.

Lower your burn speed to half of the rating on the fuji media (ie if the rated speed is 16x then set CloneDVD to burn at 8x). BTW, do your fuji’s say “Made In Japan” on the outer packaging?

If that doesn’t work, dump the fuji’s and buy verbatim in stores or Taiyo Yuden online. If burning +R rather than -R, be sure to bitset your burn finalization.

Whisperer

jordn787 –

Welcome to the Forum.

I echo Forum Member Whisperer1 above recommendations.

I would like to add that it would be a good idea to ensure that your DVD Burner has the most current up to date Firmware available installed.

BeLooken

I’ve been looking in the Clone program, but I’m unable to find anything where I can change the writing speed (from 16x to 8x, for example). Its probably right infront of me, but I still can’t find it heh.

Also, I'm on a new laptop - how would I go about checking the status of my current firmware or downloading up-to-date firmware?  Thanks

On page 4…Prefered speed selection just under “DVD Writer”.

I have a brand new 8x DVD burner in my laptop. I tried changing the speed down to 4x and it STILL isn’t recording the whole DVD movie. Any ideas of what might be wrong?

jordn787 -

Out of curiosity have you noted Forum Member Whisperer1 comments in posting #2 concerning a DVD Media change?

Also have you noted my comments in my #3 posting concerning DVD Burner Firmware? Just because you have a “New” DVD Burner does not mean that in fact it has the most current up to date Firmware available installed in it.

BeLooken

Yes. I haven’t changed DVD disks yet (I just want to make sure I’ve tried everything). As for firmware, I’ve been googling a few sites. I’ve found one that looks semi-reliable to download from. Where do you recommend DLing firmware from? I appreciate the help.

jordn787 -

Suggest providing the Name/Model Number/Firmware Version of your DVD Burner. That information can be obtained by using a utility software program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

BeLooken

Jordn,
If you happen to have DVD Decrypter, it will tell you what kind of drive you have in the Source window (Be sure to select correct drive).
Also, as to firmware, Go under Tools, click Drive, click "Check for firmware updates"
It is very handy to use, and dvd decrypter is free, and is available all over the internet. Just google for it.

I finally got the information on my drive. From the dvdproinfo.com tool, it says: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082, firmware revision: CG03. Is this workable with the program? If my firmware needs to be updated, where should I go? I’ve never heard of firmware before this forum hah. Thanks.