Error Writing to CD, UNIT NOT READY: LOGICAL

vbimport

everythime i try to write a CD whether using CloneCD, nero, cdrwin etc, i keep receiving an error, the error is:

Writing to CD Failed, UNIT NOT READY: LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS (2:0x04:0x06)

what does this mean?!?

I haven’t seen this error for a while. The device is either locked by another program i.e. CloneCD does not have exclusive access or you do not have ASPI installed on the system (sometimes it does not install correctly!) and the safemode is kludging its way around your system.

Telling us your OS, chipset, game title and anything else you can think of also helps - like the burner/reader brand & model :wink:

Work your way through the Down & Dirty Sticky Post, pinned to the top of this Forum should help, too

i cant tell u much, coz i got no feckin idea what to do (sorry for swearing) i just i can tell u anything, as long as u can guide me through it :wink: i said look in the Down and Dirty Post as it might help, but i dont know what im looking for - i tried searching for the error message that i got, aswell as ASPI and too many reuslts came up for ‘ASPI’, as i hav stated at the reply subject i feel stoooopid! these are the details i can provide u with:

Pentium 2 450 Mhz (dont laugh ;))
OS - Win 98SE
ChipSet - No idea, i downloaded Intel chipset identifier and executed the file and a message came up saying: Non-Intel Chipset
CD-RW - LG 8080B
Error Message comes up with every game/audio etc etc when trying to write

i installed the new ASPI and it seems to work now, before it stopped after bout 1 minute (i think the LeadIn part) now it went past that, before i installed ASPI i checked what version i had, and it said 4.0 installed it, and it became 4.6 im gona try writing something to chck it works

and i wana thank u VERY much, as it has been like this for MONTHS!! and no-one knew out what was wrong, im so FRICKING relieved!!!

Glad it works :smiley:

Adaptec ASPI v4.60 for Win98SE is fine. If you install WinMe (:Z), Win2K or XP then install 4.70 - link is off the Sticky.

Open your PC box, grab a torch and look for the MoBo chipset - square, brown/black & exposed - less than 2.5x2.5 cm. On it, it will say “AMD”, “VIA”, “SIS” or “ALI” and a heap of numbers. Check for another similar chipset to the left or right of it - they could be at near opposite ends of the MoBo. If the two chips are different, commonly AMD northbridge & VIA southbridge, then you will need chipset drivers from the MoBo manufacturer - avoid hybrid chipsets in future upgrades! If this is too techo and perhaps your MoBo handbook informs you that the chipset is pure VIA then d/l the latest VIA 4in1 drivers from VIA-arena.com and install. If you have an AMD, ALI or SIS chipset, well, then you’re gonna have to work out what MoBo you’ve got and go from there.

Good BIOS page here

i was wrong, it dont work still, i made a msitake by clicking “simulate writing” coz this displayed the msg without making a coaster, but then i installed ASPI and it didnt display the msg when simulating, so i thought it’d work, tried writing and it didnt!

[edit]i need help, someone t guide me through everything :wink:
hehe, i need help, FutureProof knows my problem, but for those of u who dont (and please god, u can help) i keep gettin an error msg when WRITING to a cd whether it be audio cd usin adaptec, or data cd usin nero, i get it all da time! msg is as follows:

Writing to CD failed, UNIT NOT READY: LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS (2:0x04:0x06)

ive updated my ASPI, Proof told me to update my BIOS and ChipSet Drivers, anyone know where i can download them? he mentions “DMA Devices Running In PIO Mode” is this meant to happen or should i enable it somehow?

anyone know what i should do? or any info that’ll help me - keep posts together, the other one has been deleted - FP