I have been having a problem for some time now regarding this dvdfab error. I have tried more than one version of dvdfab, more than one dvd burner (3 different internal burners and 2 different external burners all with the most recent firmware I could find), more than one computer, and more than one operating system(XP Home SP3, XP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP1). I have also tried 3 different brands of Dual Layer media (Memorex, Verbatim, and Office Depot). This error occurs on brand new dvds straight out of the package, so the originals are not scratched or damaged in any way.
Now I am out of ideas.
Here's some background on how I got this message, what I have done to try to resolve this error and where I am at now with the problem.
First, I tried to burn a DVD (Lost, Season 4) on a computer with Windows XP Pro SP3. All windows updates were applied, the dvd burner had the most recent firmware updates applied, and the DVD Fab version was 188.8.131.52 configured with the defaults (possibly even the version before that, although I didn't write down that version number so I can't be completely sure).
I just bought a brand new computer and again, I have made sure that all software and firmware updates are applied (including the new DVDFab 184.108.40.206) with all defaults, yet this error is still happening. I then tried to uninstall the beta 220.127.116.11, reboot, reinstall the most recent stable version, reboot and retry the cloning, but that didn't help either.
First, I tried to clone the dvd. Task 1 completes just fine (clone process started, clone process completed successfully). The problem occurs just seconds after the original disc gets ejected and dvdfab asks me to insert a blank dvd9 (dual layer). Then I get the message:
Cannot open file
"C:\Users\Mickey\Documents\DVDFab\Temp\Clone\BU2-0N-NT1_2_DES.iso\". The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect." (I know that I mentioned Lost Season 4 earlier, but this error came from Ugly Betty Sesason 2).
Next I could pop in a disc such as The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season 2 and the clone will complete without problems. Then, I go back to trying to clone Lost or Ugly Betty and I receive the error message again.
I have tried changing the default location of the .iso file, thinking that the link was just too long. That didnt' help. I also wondered if the dvd file name was causing problems because the program might not like dashes or underlines in the file name, so I tried changing those but it didn't help either.
The only thing that does seem to work is to save the .iso file to my hard drive, but then I can't burn it to dvd using the "Full Disc" option in DVDFab.
I am so confused! Probably 90% of my dvds clone just fine without this error, but then I can't explain why this happens to the other 10%. Since I have the same problem on different computers with different OS and different hardware and different versions of DVDFab, I have come to the conclusion that it is either a problem with the blank media (but then why do the other 90% of my dvds clone without problem?) or that there is something that DVDFab doesn't like about the file name characters like the dash - or the underline _. My only other idea is that this problem occurs due to some new copy protection that DVDFab isn't yet able to remove.
I hope that I have provided enough information for someone to help me resolve this error. If I have left anything out (like maybe you need specifics on the dvd burner hardware and firmware), then just ask and I will happily provide it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.