ERROR! Please help. dvd is dirty?

vbimport

Hello,

I just stuck in a dvd-rom titled super bowl xl champions - special edition (it was about the steelers. the dvd is a dual layer format but my drive supports DL. on the dvd it says standard region 1, us not rated canada.

I got this message that i never got before when inserting movies in my drive.

Ok heres what it said :

Warning!

Failed to read dvd
This could havsevereal reasons

1 ) dvd media is dirty - you can try to clan it
2 ) dvd media is damaged , you have to replace it
3 ) your drive is a region locked rpc2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a diferent lregion and try to read a dvd from a different region.
You can try to find a rpc1 patched firmware at www.rpc1.com
4) your drive is an rpc2 drive that has not yet been assigned a region. try to assign one, or try to find a rpc1 patchd firmware

Please help!

UPDATE :

now when in clonedvd with this same dvd. i go to rip it and it brings up a warning message when ripping saying :

processing error:

E:/video_ts/vts_02_1.vob: read error

data error (cyclic redundancy check).

If reading the media has failed, please clean the surface and try again

cycle redundancy error

This can happen onvarious reasons:

I have found out that when you get this error
there is some disk anomaly
1 actual disk damage such as a scratch
2 your current player is unable to read this disk, especially probable if no-one else has problems
3 a manufacturer/pressing error in exact same spot in all dvds of that title that cause no problem for stand alone dvd players, but cause hell for pc players

a) is to try different dvd players you may be able to find one that will read thru the error giving you a microsecond or 2 of some type of glitch on your copy
b) or no player will be able to read thru the error and no one will be able to make a copy.

ok its a brand new dvd, and no scratches or anything are on it. ummm actually my player does have troubl playing it, but it is a DL player and writer.

And whats this manufacturer error in same spot thing?

Excuse me if I don’t explain this right…

It has to do with the manufacturers copying it bad. I’m still fairly new so one of the other users might explain it better. If it’s new return it for another one.

hmm should i buy it from another store

@ mikej3131,

Concerning your CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) data error notifications.

Suggest viewing the below Forum posting concerning CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) data error notification. Notice the Comments in posting #6 by Olli the author of CloneDVD/CloneCD and instrumental in the development of AnyDVD and the three possible cause of CRC Errors.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138522

Concerning your “Warning! Failed to read DVD” error notification.

1 ) dvd media is dirty - you can try to clan it
2 ) dvd media is damaged , you have to replace it
3 ) your drive is a region locked rpc2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and try to read a dvd from a different region.
You can try to find a rpc1 patched firmware at www.rpc1.com
4) your drive is an rpc2 drive that has not yet been assigned a region. try to assign one, or try to find a rpc1 patched firmware.

In Summation ->

If you closely review the what Forum Member Olli says in the referenced Forum posting you will see that he states that one cause of CRC Errors is “A Defective DVD”. Also note in the “Warning! Failed to read DVD” Error Notification the second item mentioned is “DVD Media Is Damaged”.

It is safe to say the cause of your problem with your “Super Bowl XL Champions - Special Edition” is that it is either Defective and/or Damaged. The corrective action is obtain a replacement DVD disk.

Best Regards,
bjkg

The corrective action is obtain a replacement DVD disk.

I would assume from a different store than what i bought that from

2.) A copy protection with intentional errors (SONY Arccos, Puppetlock). Correcting AnyDVD settings (clicking “Default”) or updating to the latest version often helps.

Could this be the problem? how do i check if my dvd hs this?

Also in that thread one of those members said he was able to copy with dvddecrypter but not with clonedvd after getting thos errors?

mikej3131,
Rip the DVD original with the new AnyDVD Ripper feature. Then point (browse button) CloneDVD away from your DVD drive to your HDD and process the files from the folder on the HDD which you have just created.

Whisperer

Could be a dirty lens in the drive itself. Does it read other disc’s alright?

yeah it reads other discs fine.

i will try the anydvd ripper when i get home. Is that just ripping the whole movie with no compression or transcoding or encoding at all(like dvddecrypter)???

And if all else fails, i will be going to return this movie at barnes and nobles. Does anybody know there return policy for dvd’s?

Yes, and I know nothing about barns and noble you’ll just have to look at your reciet and their website.

Yes, and I’m surprised nobody suggested it yet on this thread. Is everyone aware that the AnyDVD Ripper feature includes “FixVTS” that works on the fly?

Whisperer

whats fixvts on the fly?

Also does dvddecrypter have any advntages over anydvd, or the opposite? inother words can one do something the other cant?

when you use the anydvd ripper it runs fixvts on the files while ripping to the hard drive.

anydvd has the advantage for ripping in file mode.

dvddecrypter in ISO>READ mode preserves the layer break information while ripping to an image file if that’s the route you want to go.

AnyDVD has the advantage of being updated regularly whereas DVD Decrypter is not being developed any more. While it’s possible to generate PLS2 files using a PGCEdit wizard so that DVD Decrypter can handle the latest movies, we find it’s just easier to whine and plead with James from Slysoft when AnyDVD can’t copy a movie. :smiley: Usually James has a new version out within a couple of hours. So, basically, the advantage is that AnyDVD is regularly being updated with new functionality and features and DVD Decrypter isn’t. As for Reasons’ comment about layer break, using CloneCD (NOT CloneDVD, but, CloneCD) you can achieve the same results. (I know, Reasons, I know…DVD Decrypter is free and that’s what you’ve always used. It’s kuel!) DVD Decrypter does have some very nice stream processing features that I use quite a bit, but, when I use that I simply shut off DVD Decrypter’s ability to break CSS and detect copy protection and let AnyDVD do its thing in the background. Anyway, I hope this helps.

hmm yeah helped ali. still dont know what fixvts is , but i get the difference between the two somewhat. dont know what ripping in file mode or iso/readmode layer break info is.
Sorry :frowning: im dumb

UPDATE: ok did a little reading,

so ripping in file mode iscreating the vob files???

And then dvd decrypter rips the movie to an iso? and layer breaking just means splitting the files up right???

So dvddecrypter cant write and create vob files but anydvd cant create iso’s

Stil dont know what fixvts is though haha

you’re making progress.

did you do a search for fixvts? i’m sure there’s plenty of info on it. it’s a freeware program that fixes structural and some mastering errors in “problem” discs. normally you have to rip, run fixvts on the files, then you get a new output of files. with the anydvd ripper, fixvts is run on these files on the fly. it’s not always necessary, but since it no longer involved the extra steps, it’s nice to have that added safeguard against errors.

layer breaks are important for dual layer media only. the layers are on top of each other on the blank disc. you have to tell the program that is burning how much to burn to each layer or you’ll runinto problems. the best way to avoid problems when you’re copying a disc 1:1 is to use the same layer break information as the original. ripping with dvd decrypter (or cloneCD if you’re Samuri ;)) will retain that information to reduce the likelihood of errors on dual layer burns.