Error Message when Burning CDs with iTunes

For the past few days, I’ve had problems successfully burning CDs. My cd burner is a Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ [CD-ROM drive] and I’m using iTunes 4.0.7 as the burning software. I’ve had both for several years and I’ve burned many cds with no problem. The cd drive in question has no problem playing cds. The problem only occurs when I attempt to burn a disc.

A few days ago, I started receiving an error message when I attempted to burn a disc. After I instruct the iTunes to burn a disc, it starts normally. It initializes the disc and even starts to write to the disc. At most, it gets through two files and abruptly cancels. The error is:

‘The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4500)’

When I googled the error message, I didn’t get any results. After I initially got the error message, I did manage to have a few successful burns with no errors. I did uninstall and reinstall iTunes. Also, through the years that I’ve had the burner, I’ve generally burned at a low speed. I’ve been trying to burn at 8x-12x, which shouldn’t be a problem.

Basically, I’m wondering how I can determine what the error actually is and how I can determine if it’s my cd-rom drive that’s causing the errors. If it is the cd-rom drive, is there anything I can do to fix the problem, or is it now useless?

I asked about my problem at another message board, and I was told to download Nero CD-DVD Speed and run some tests with a CD-RW to see if anything shows up there. I downloaded the program, but I couldn’t figure out what I was supposed to do with it. I probably should say that I’m not all that knowledgeable (a beginner).

Thank you for any help, insights, etc.!

If I put this in the wrong place, just let me know. Or, if you know another site I should look at or another message board I should ask at… I was pointed in this direction at another message board.

Even if you don’t know anything about the iTunes error, if someone could tell me how (or link me to another site…) to determine if my cd burner is working correctly, at least. I’ve been trying to back up important files on my computer, I’ve been wasting a lot of cd-rs, and I really just would like to figure out (sooner rather than later) if I’m screwed. Thank you for any comments at all.

I posted a question in the CD/DVD burner forum here that, uh, no one’s answered. I think my question is similar to this one, though. My CD burner has stopped burning CDs, I get errors. I wondered if there is any way to test my drive to see if the CD burner still works… basically so that I can determine whether it’s the drive or the software. Am I to understand that there really is no easy [I]and[/I] reliable way to test this? I have Nero’s CD-DVD Speed, but I can’t figure out how to use it to get any results that I understand. I only have pretty basic knowledge of cd burners, and I was told that this place was pretty friendly and helpful…

morritzy

download quickburn easy to use. just drag [B]any file[/B] from right to left and click burn. quickburn will write data disc, both cd and dvd. after burn open disc with my computer.

troy

Thread moved from CD & DVD Burners to the Newbie forum, and other two relevant posts merged.