Error correction on CDs and DVDs

vbimport

When i burn a CD/DVD, there is often some space of the disc that is wasted because i don’t fill it completely. Is there a program that could fill the empty space with error correction data?
edit: i’m talking about data CDs/DVDs, not for music or movies

I’ll take a stab at this and say no. Since the sectors of data and movies on CD and DVD already have error correction, I don’t know of any ‘extra’ type of error correction. During playback, if the CD or DVD drive can not read a sector it aborts the read with an error code. I’m not sure if any validity can be placed on the sector data that is returned in this error condition. If not, then having extra error correction data would be useless.

But, this is a very interesting idea. Maybe others will have better answers.

I have no idea how you would implement this or if it would work. You could use a parity backup program to create a parity file of the original data. Then burn multi session, with the data as the first session and the parity data as the second session. If the disk become unreadable, use a disk recovery program to get what you can, then use the parity data to repair what you get. It would only work if the maind data was corupted but the parity data was not (normally with a parity backup, the parity data is stored in a diffrent physical location, not on the same disk). I wouldn’t count on it as being very safe though. You never know if the parity data got damaged till the main data gets damaged and you go looking for the parity data.
The only other thing I could think of is redundency if the data takes less that half the disk. Burn the same data twice (multi session).
I would just do it the easy way, burn a backup disk.

lol i guess you’re right.

But what i’m looking for is something that would just fill the disc with ecc info… If the data on the disc was that important, then i would make a backup disc. But when you burn a CD and leave say, 100MB unused on the disc, it would be nice to put that 100MB to use with error correction codes.

If it doesn’t exist, it wouldn’t be too hard to code if someone knows a good error correction algorithm :wink: