Error copying

Hi,

I have a portable usb hard drive. Recently i copied a movie onto the hd. The problem is that while watching the movie from the hd, at a certain point it just stops, the indicator stops blinking, and no data is visible until usb is reinserted. However, I can “jump” over this point and watch the film till the end fine. While copying, however, the drive just stops working at the same point until usb is replugged. how can i copy the movie?

[QUOTE=newedge;2222733]Hi,

I have a portable usb hard drive. Recently i copied a movie onto the hd. The problem is that while watching the movie from the hd, at a certain point it just stops, the indicator stops blinking, and no data is visible until usb is reinserted. However, I can “jump” over this point and watch the film till the end fine. While copying, however, the drive just stops working at the same point until usb is replugged. how can i copy the movie?[/QUOTE]

First off what software did you use to copy to the HD? Was the source media a working and playing media? What kinda usb HDD are you using? So are you using the main HDD to copy to then copy to the usb HDD?? How are you setup would be a start?

Could be a HDD issue. Try running chkdisk on the drive or testing it using the manufacturers disk utilities. If possible, you could also simply re-format the drive. Aside from that, it could also be a USB, cable, or enclosure(hardware) issue.

Try testing on another PC.

coolcolors: I copied the movie from computer’s hd to the portable hd from my friend’s computer. the movie was deleted from the main hd. then i try to watch the movie and there is a problem. I can’t check if anything was wrong with the “source” movie, but i’m pretty sure that it was ok. It’s not the first time it happens, and i wanted to format the portable hd earlier, but it’s transcend jetflash 120 gb, and it’s kind of hard to backup all the data :slight_smile: i guess i’ll have to do it now.

Dogg: i tried to copy on different comps with different cables. yesterday i also tried to check disk for errors with standard windows utility. i’ll try chkdsk . it’s not easy as the disk is almost full. i thought i could delete the file and then try to recover it with some program, like “recover my files”… i’ll check if there are utilities on transcend disk. i know i’ll have to format the hd, just wanted to get the movie first… well i guess i’ll have to download it again.

thank you :slight_smile:

update
i ran chkdsk e:/r it started with verifying files and folders and at 96% everything stopped - indicator’s not blinking and verifying is not progressing for half an hour. :confused:

Sounds like a hardware failure (ie: controller board) in the hardware itself or the interface in the enclosure. If it were bad sectors or whatever on the disc, chkdisk would be making the repairs. I would get another HDD to copy all of the data onto before it completely fails. You may have to copy some contents and then shut the drive off for a period of time for it to cool, then try again. Or simply keep disconnecting, power off, then connecting and power on multiple times until you can get all of your data.

After you have your data safe, if it’s under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If not, you could try removing the drive from the enclosure and directly connecting it to your PC. That will at least help in identifying if it’s the drive or the enclosure.

ok. thank you.