Error copying files from HD to External HD

Hello again! It’s been awhile. I’m buried in another project unfortunately! My ex has purchased a new computer as the one he has for Business and Home use is 8 years old and both his good friend and I are tired of patching it up!

He does advertising and I am attempting to transfer advertisements as well as large advertising photos from his old HD to my Western Digital Elements 500GB External Hard Drive and this is now day two! :rolleyes:

Approximately 500 of the files have made the trip, however, that leaves about 750 to go! I am now getting this error:

Cannot copy (name of file) Cannot find the name of the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

I have both drives with both files open on the desktop and selected a group of files to copy and to move to the Elements drive. As I said it WAS working.

Please help. Not only are there a million more things to do to get this ready; I have been assigned a Monday deadline!:slight_smile: :disagree:

Thanks so much.

cs.

He does advertising and I am attempting to transfer advertisements as well as large advertising photos from his old HD to my Western Digital Elements 500GB External Hard Drive and this is now day two!

Is the old HD still in his old rig? I guess the first thing would be to test the old HD’s fitness. Have you run chkdisk on it?

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2241034]Is the old HD still in his old rig? I guess the first thing would be to test the old HD’s fitness. Have you run chkdisk on it?[/QUOTE]

No, didn’t know to do that. Something funny: He called me numerous times in the last two weeks telling me that his computer sounds like a “thrashing machine.” Has he ever heard a thrashing machine??? Just asking. It has been completely normal here.

Do I type CHKDSK at the RUN prompt?

Thanks! :smiley:

cs.

I typed chkdsk c: /f /r at RUN and was asked if it was okay to run at the next start up. I chose ok and restarted the computer. Now the computer is stuck on the Motherboard screen when I should be able to see the check disk progress. What did I do wrong?

Thanks.
cs. :rolleyes:

He called me numerous times in the last two weeks telling me that his computer sounds like a “thrashing machine.”

Never a good sign.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

No, never a good sign but it has been running for the majority of 24 hours here and it sounds perfectly normal. How is that???

Thank you for the reference on check disk; I used something similar to come up with my command.

Do you have any idea why it is hanging at the Motherboard screen and is not moving along? How do I know if it is being checked (I doubt it) and what do I do now (screaming doesn’t help!)

Thanks.

cs.

You could take the drive out and put it in another system as slave. In that way you might be able to again start copying files. Another option would be to place his drive in an external USB enclosure so you could use it pretty much on any system.

RM

[QUOTE=RichMan;2241077]You could take the drive out and put it in another system as slave. In that way you might be able to again start copying files. Another option would be to place his drive in an external USB enclosure so you could use it pretty much on any system.

RM[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but…

Cannot copy (name of file) Cannot find the name of the specified file.

This error makes it sound like a problem with the drive, not being able to run chkdsk also does not bode well.

@ Citsme

Looks like you might have to deal with the Recovery Console and try chkdsk from there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

[QUOTE=RichMan;2241077]You could take the drive out and put it in another system as slave. In that way you might be able to again start copying files. Another option would be to place his drive in an external USB enclosure so you could use it pretty much on any system.

RM[/QUOTE]

Funny, I had my nephews IDE computer here since November and I could have used that one; he took it home last week. The only other option is a converter from IDE to SATA but cost is definitely an issue.

Also, I ran the check disk on the C: drive by mistake - thank goodness for this mistake - the files are on the Z drive!!!

cs.

Looks like you might have to deal with the Recovery Console and try chkdsk from there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Uggg, okay :iagree: I’ve only tried that once with very limited success but my back is against the wall . . .

Thank you and feel free to hang around all night :bigsmile: because I know I will be!

You all are appreciated!

cs.

Hello all,

I do not have the ability to boot from the XP CD; I do not have a command prompt for more than 3 seconds as it thinks about loading the rest of the startup and stops on the page I detailed before.

Was the check disk command I used before wrong? Was it not to be used from RUN?

Now what?

:sad:

cs.:bigsmile:

You can do it from Windows, but don’t tick any boxes. Just see what says.

Appreciate the thought but I can’t even get into the BIOS! I basically can’t get anywhere! This happened when I ran the check disk. I’m really stuck.

Thanks.
cs.

Since chkdsk is a Windows program, the flag to check the disk must be part of Windows as well, I would think. Since now you can not even get chkdsk to work, you are probably best off trying the drive on a different system somehow. Maybe then the chkdsk option will not be seen by the other system’s OS. Just a thought.

RM

Hello to everyone and thank you all very much for your input on this problem! You are all greatly appreciated!

I ended up taking out both hard drives and as they are IDE and my computer is SATA, I purchased an IDE to USB adapter which has been quite handy. I purchased one with its own power supply ($20) so the drives did not need to be installed. :clap:

I did a check disk on both drives and they were fine; I reformatted the smaller drive and got it ready to put back in the old computer to reinstall the OS. The second drive has two partitions; the second of which contained business files so I backed it up to my external drive before I worked with it. At that point, I reformatted just the first partition of the second hard drive just to start over.

Both drives are back in the old computer and working well so far.

Thank you all so very much for helping me with this and my other NEWBIE questions! Now, I’ll spend more time reading and less time asking questions; I sincerely do not mean to take advantage of your help!

You are all great!

cs.