Error Code 0x80070057

While trying to install Win10 I get “We couldn’t format the partition” Error Code 0x80070057. I followed the steps at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2476568/error-0x80070057-when-you-format-a-hard-disk-drive-to-install-windows but problem persists after a new partition is created in the last step. Is there any way to fix this problem?

Here are a few more steps that might help

I have used MiniTool Partition Wizard several times with great success

1 Like

I have always cloned an existing installation of Win 10, using a few different tools, it is far easier to clone and then install the drive, avoiding the installation issues with a fresh installation,

I believe that this error code means you have run out of space in the destination partition. If you have more space on the drive, recreate the partition at a larger size. If the destination drive has no free space, you need to free up some space to make the partition larger or get a larger drive.

About three fourths of the total space is free space which means that couldn’t be the cause. David_Lowe, I too make backup images of the OS partition, but in this instance EaseUS Todobackup that I use gave error “There is not enough space on that partition to restore data.” Apparently the partition was some how changed to slightly smaller size, and EaseUS Todobackup can’t restore to a smaller partition even though there’s more than enough space for the actual data.

At https://www.diskgenius.com/how-to/fix-error-code-0x80070057.php I found the DiskGenius free download and decided to try using it to delete, create and format partitions. DiskGenius removed the partition and created a new one, but the new partition showed up in WinXP as corrupt and unreadable after it was formatted in DiskGenius. However, formatting the DiskGenius new partition in WinXP seemed to have put everything back to normal as the partition is now read normally. I thought hopefully Win10 will now reinstall without issue now. BTW I dual boot WinXP and Win10 which gave me the ability to do this.

Well formatting the DiskGenius new partition in WinXP did not put everything back to normal. Attempt to install Windows gave error “Can’t install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition.” Windows Setup also showed same error for all partitions on Drive 0. BIOS is set for MBR system, and all partitions have always been MBR. Why Windows Setup seems to recognize the system as EFI is very puzzling.

Next I tried deleting the DiskGenius formatted partition in Windows Setup, created a new partition and attempted to formatt it which resulted in the original error 0x80070057 being given. Then I tried deleting the last 2 partitions including the partition where Windows is to be installed, created the 2 partitions anew and formatted them. The “Can’t install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition.” error message disappeared and Windows installed normally.

However, that “Can’t install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition.” error still appears for all partitions before the last 2 partitions in Windows Setup. This leads me to believe those partitions may be some how corrupt and possibly unreliable, and I plan to delete all partitions and create new ones to try to avoid problems from the partitions giving errors in Windows Setup. Has anyone ever heard of or know why Windows Setup would give the “Can’t install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition.” when the BIOS is set for MBR and has always been set for MBR?

FYI during attempts to install Windows I noticed Drive 0 not being recognized in the BIOS on 1 or 2 restarts. I tried switching sata cables between the 2 hard drives, but that didn’t fix the problem. I used new sata cables which fixed this problem. This is likely the cause of the error 0x80070057 in my first post on the original problem. In some of the searches I read bad sata cable connections can be one of the many possible causes of error 0x80070057.

BTW, David_Lowe, I made the partition to contain Win10 a GB larger when I created it for the last time which allowed me to restore the backup image using EaseUS Todobackup.

A GPT partition table on Windows has a minimum of 4 partitions.
The first partition is hidden from Windows, and you would need something like Linux to see the hidden partition. (see screenshot below).

The third partition is the EFI partition and its very small. In all probability your backup solution can see that hidden partition, which would mean it tried to restore to that tiny partition.

Have a look at Macrium Reflect (free edition) for your backup needs. It would have seen the problem and worked around it.

partition%20table

Looking at the guide the OP posted, when I wiped my drive in the past I used similar process but not exactly like that and I never had a issue. I basically do everything until Step 10 as instead of clicking the ‘new’, I just click ‘next’ on the ‘unallocated space’ and Windows 10 proceeds to create the partitions it needs automatically for a general Windows 10 installation if I recall correctly.

NOTE: if you have not done so already get the newest Windows 10 ISO which is currently version 1903 (soon will be 1909) using the official Microsoft tool (i.e. https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 ) and then you can create a bootable USB thumb drive etc using Rufus (i.e. https://rufus.ie/ ; free software) for your Windows 10 installation.

If you just want to delete the data on the drive I suggest using… ‘GParted’ (i.e. https://gparted.org/index.php ). it’s Linux based and you can run it from a bootable USB or CD/DVD and is pretty easy to use and you can do MBR or GPT with it to but it’s not as straight forward to find this. NOTE: I used that on my Linux installation to manipulate my hard drives or USB drives occasionally.

p.s. or if you want to permanently delete all data on your hard drive (or SSD) so it’s not recoverable… ‘secure erase’ it. a SSD takes about a couple of seconds as it just resets a internal key in the drive which is why it works so quickly on a SSD (like no actual data you have written to the SSD is deleted but without the key (since ‘secure erase’ just changes the internal key on the SSD), the data is not readable/recoverable since the drive encrypts it’s data internally when you use it normally and once the SSD’s key is reset anything prior to that point is permanently gone) even though a hard drive could take about a hour or a bit more since the hard drive itself wipes the drive after the secure erase is issued. with the SSD’s I have (i.e. Samsung 850 EVO/Intel 545s) I have found one needs to pull the SATA power plug from it briefly and plug it back in to get access to the drive using Parted Magic (i.e. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html ) to issue the ‘secure erase’. NOTE: that version of Parted Magic is fairly old but it still works well as to get more updated versions of Parted Magic it costs a little $ unlike the one I linked to which is totally free.

for general drive cloning/imaging I suggest… Clonezilla (i.e. https://clonezilla.org/ ; free software) as it’s also Linux based but works great for cloning a OS installation to a compressed file on another hard drive you got and then you can use that image to restore your current working install in the future to the EXACT working state it is currently (when I said EXACT I mean EXACT as any changes you make to your files etc after that point, once you restore that image it basically wipes whatever is on the drive and restores things EXACTLY how it was at the time you imaged it). it’s not super easy to use but it’s not difficult. it runs from a bootable USB (or CD/DVD).

I laugh to death, what can you do with this system. I use Win 7 without any problems. Anyone who does not want to play is completely useless. Anyone who wants to play must have direct X support. More good torment !!!

@tom102 ; Windows 7 is pretty much useless at this point considering Microsoft drops support of it in Jan 2020 which is about 3 months away. so regardless if one likes Windows 7/10 or not, one must either shift to Windows 10 or a free Linux alternative soon.

I’ve tried Macrium Reflect (free edition) before, and couldn’t get it to work. During the process of installing it an error was given that said something about unable to compile something; thus I was never able to create a CD or DVD to use the program.

I’ve always used MBR partitions, and I suspect Windows is some how incorrectly identifying the system as EFI. The last 2 partitions I created don’t give that message in Windows Setup about EFI system, and I expect none of the Drive 0 partitions will give the EFI message either.

What you could do, and its a very handy tool to have.
Is download a LIVE Linux Distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, and put it on a bootable USB pendrive. You make the USB bootable by using RUFUS to burn the Linux Distro ISO image you downloaded.

Boot from the pendrive and you will end up in a working Linux. From there you can launch GParted and inspect on the partitions on the HDD or SSD.
You can create partitions and format HDD’s from GParted.

Can RUFUS be used to burn the downloaded image to a CD or DVD as well and boot to the CD or DVD to run GParteded? I’d prefer doing it from CD rather than use entire capacity of pen drive for a single application.

Download Ubuntu Desktop 19.10 from here.

The file is an ISO, so any burning software that can write an ISO to DVD could be used, such as ImgBurn or Nero. The ISO is quite large (2.5GB) so it wont fit on a CD, it will require a DVD. Ideally a 4GB USB pendrive is perfect, and will be a lot faster running the distro than a DVD.
Ubuntu is a full OS, not just an app. Take it for a spin while your running the distro, you may like it.

I would imagine running a live distro from DVD would be painfully slow though, but worth a try.

mdisante says the error means you are short on space. Have you tick the View option to see system and Hidden Files (folders). I did read all the posts but 2 minutes later I can’t remember if you mentioned what operating system you have before the Win$hit 10 install. You might find hidden Microsoft folders like ~Windows.BT$ or Windows.old (but I don’t think that one was hidden).

You could also run CLEANMGR.EXE on your present install to clear out duplicates in the WinSXS folder. That can clear out several GB if it is an old install. Best I got was just under 14GB recovered.

Anyone know when Win$hit 10 is going to steal the 7 or 8GB of the C partition to be used for future Win$hit 10 installs? I believe it is so the Win$hit 10 files will have enough space to decompress before defiling your machine by installing.

@bevills1

For burning CD/DVD I suggest ImgBurn (i.e. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html ; I linked to this site instead of the official site because it links to the same ‘ImgBurn v2.5.8.0’ as the official site but has the installer without the junk in it unlike the one on the official site) but any decent program that can burn ISO’s will work. but my preferred general data burning program is ImgBurn (it even works on Linux through Wine but requires WinXP to be set instead of the default ‘Windows 7’ that Wine uses for running Windows programs on Linux).

p.s. Rufus is for making a basic bootable USB flash drive using a ISO file. if you want to use one that allows for multiple bootable ISO’s from the same USB stick you can use something like… YUMI (i.e. https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ ) as with that I use it so I can boot Linux Mint/Clonezilla/Memtest86+ etc from the same USB stick. but if you just want to boot one thing from a USB stick I would suggest Rufus.

Being short on space may be 1 cause of the error, but it’s definitely not the cause in this instance. I was running Win8.1 and did the free upgrade to Win10 when it was offered. I deleted Windows.old and other not needed folders after the upgrade, and about 75% of the partition is free space. Do some searches for the error and you’ll find there are numerous possible causes for this error as did I.

@bevills1

How much storage space do you have? ; I would make sure you have ample storage space on the SSD/HDD you install Windows 10 to.

but since you mentioned deleting the ‘windows.old’ folder etc. I suggest running ‘disk cleanup’ as that can free up several GB’s of storage space, especially if you have been getting Windows Updates for a while (it’s something I generally run after Windows Updates finish but it can take a while to complete so if it seems like it’s stalled, just let it continue and it will eventually finish). make sure to specifically click the ‘Clean up system files’ once ‘Disk Cleanup’ loads up to get the maximum effect and make sure the proper stuff is checked before continuing. NOTE: if you use the ‘Downloads’ folder make sure you don’t accidentally clean that as it might delete all of the files in that folder! (I can’t confirm that as I don’t download anything important to that folder personally).

I wondered if the problem of Windows incorrectly identifying the system as EFI may have been the cause of Macrium Reflect not able to compile the image for the rescue media iso and decided to give it another try now that things are back to normal. The iso compiled without problem, and the CD boots normally. Now I’m ready to give it a test when I’m ready to do my next backup. BTW is Macrium Reflect able to restore an image to a smaller partition as long as restored data size is less than the size of the destination partition?

Correct. Providing you choose the backup option in the red box shown in screenshot below.

Once the backup option is selected you should see something like the following.

What Macrium Reflect version do you have? Mine is version 7.2 and doesn’t have the option in the red box yours shows. Would the option to Image selected disks on this computer not restore to smaller partition? If you have a different version, is that version still available anywhere?