Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer has CD/DVD print capability

I just posted the article Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer has CD/DVD print capability.

Epson America Inc. today announced the EPSON Stylus(R) Photo R800, a new        desktop photo printer featuring new Epson UltraChrome(TM) Hi-Gloss(TM) pigment        inks for archival...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7015-Epson-Stylus-Photo-R800-printer-has-CD_DVD-print-capability.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7015-Epson-Stylus-Photo-R800-printer-has-CD_DVD-print-capability.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Direct CD Priting is not an “Epson exclusive feature”! The Canon i865, released last month and selling for $325 Au, was released here last month! I have been using one since the day it was released. It produces excellent results. As well as printing direct to DVD’s I have developed a method of printing on non- printable DVD’s, producing a gloss finish so close to pigment printed DVD’s that most people can not tell the difference. I produce double sided DVD covers that cn only be picked by placing it next to the original!

“I have developed a method of printing on non- printable DVD’s, producing a gloss finish so close to pigment printed DVD’s that most people can not tell the difference.” DonL would you care to enlighten us on your technique by sending an email to news@cdfreaks? If you have time, we would really appreciate it. Thanks, Crabbyappleton :slight_smile:

Yes please share this secret with us?? I use the oll stick on labels …looks ok but is not as good as the direct print method.:wink:

To Danny & Crabby, pretty simple really, the labels I use are really meant for a laser printer but as I am only paying $8 Au for 100 I did not expect pro quality. From my practical experiments I have discovered that the higher the quality paper, the better the result. But bearing in mind we copy on average 40-50 DVDs for our personal library per week the cost per DVD with top quality labels nears the $.50 - $1 mark we stick to the cheaper labels. The problem is that these labels come out dull even setting the printer on dark mode. Having had some experience in varying fields I went looking in my back shed and found a can of “Crystal clear” a perm ant clear gloss lacquer. I made up a test label on a "coaster " and sprayed it. Presto, a Shiny Gloss DVD label! Problem was the finish was patchy and streaky. Solution: spin the disk as it is being sprayed. How? Being the Magpie that I am my cupboards are full of dud cd&dvd rom drives. I stripped quiet a few experimenting with the electronics, which is rather difficult as most of them are “printed circuit motors”. Did some more scavenging and discovered that the spindles of the head motors were the same size as most of the system cooling fans I had lying around. Swapped spindles incorporating the fan motor and CD hub and I had a device that would spin a DVD! (The CD/DVD drive hub has a small magnet incorporated in it, and as the retainer comes down on it a small, loosely held disc with a metal center keeps the CD/DVD in place. I simply removed one of these and slip it on to the DVD when it is in place. The next problem was the speed. If the DVD is spun to fast it takes the shine off the finish. Simple, a pot in series with the supply! I intend to draw up some plans if anyone’s interested; I also have plenty of parts if needed. With the covers- As the printed service sits behind a clear plastic film there is no need to print gloss covers! Just good quality, pure white 100 gsm paper, to produce double sided covers, just two sheets stuck back to back with spray on adhesive. I have a cardboard tray that holds both pieces, printed side down. On the bench a piece of A3 paper, stick them back to back and smooth them out. The covers are printed in the center of A4 paper (which we pay $16 as for 100 sheets) and trimmed to size after printing. You will not get both covers to line up perfectly so have the front face down and stick the inner to it. Turn it over and check where it will need to be trimmed. The glue remains tacky for some time and can be pealed off and restuck. I use Adobe Photo Shop 7 with print preview and crop marks turned on. Set the image size to 27.5 H x 18.5 W and you will have no problems.

DonL Firstly, u win the award for the longest ever post. Second, this method is not easy at all. Thirdly, i give u 10 out of 10 for thinkin it up lol :B Btw, do find using labels on dvd’s messes them up most times? I tried some on xbox games and most stopped workin after a week. If anyone knows a brand of dvdr that works well with labels please post it here. Thanks!

Sorry about the length, just the orator in me I guess. I have found if the label is off center it can cause read errors. There are plenty of applicators available, but most suit the brand of label they were designed as all the labels vary slightly in the centers. Also the label software native to the canon i865 has the annoying restriction on the min inside dia. To overcome this I use spindles that come with bulk CD & DVD packs and an inner spacer off an IDE hard drive which is the perfect size to line up the label. Also anyone else using the canon software may have found unless you make the label oversize it prints a white ring around the outside. We do use printable DVD’s but we are using +'s and thy are not always available. Here in Aus. Because Pioneer got to the market first and flooded the market '“ blanks sell down to $1.40 compared to +'s at $2.40! We have stuck with +'s as we believe it to be the better standard and more compatible to DVD decks.

DonL- You have also won the highly coveted CD Freaks “MacGyver” award for tinkering beyond the call of duty! Hey thanks for responding and keep up the research projects. Remember, HP got started by two guys tinkering in a shed.

congratulations on your MacGyver award, DonL! :slight_smile: