Epson RX680 Certain Printable Disc Warning?

vbimport

Hi Everyone,
I just received my new Epson RX680 Ink jet printer. I purchased this printer due to the variety of uses, but primarily to use it for printing directly onto DVD’s and CD’s. I have read several reviews on two major printable disc companies (Ty Watershield & AquaGuard). I’ve come to the conclusion that the TY Watershield discs are the best.
With that being said, upon opening my new printer there was a warning insert. The following is exactly what the insert states;
You can print directly on most ink jet printable CD’s or DVD’s using the Epson Stylus Photo RX680 Series. However, Epson has identified a type of disc surface on certain brands of discs that is not compatible with and may damage the RX680 Series.
Do not use discs with an AquaGuard surface. This surface is used on certain discs sold by Imation, Memorex and other manufacturer’s. Check the label on the disc package before you purchase them to make sure they do not have an AquaGuard surface.
My question to you experienced Epson user’s (Especially if you have the RX680). Is the TY Watershield disc’s similar to the AquaGuard as far as the surface properties goes? Like I stated, I want to go with the TY Watershield discs, but I don’t want to ruin this new printer.
Your input of experience with using this printer along with TY Watershield disc’s would be most appreciated. Thank You, Ray

This warning must be something that Epson discovered lately.

I purchased this printer 6 or 7 months ago and did not have this warning included with my printer.

As to use on the TY media with watershield surface I can not say but I am curious now myself so hopefully you will get more feed-back.

Might be a reference to the pigment-based inks used in some Epsons, which do not absorb properly into some disc types. This model should be using 77/78 inks, which are dye based and should not present any problems.

[QUOTE=CDan;2152138]Might be a reference to the pigment-based inks used in some Epsons, which do not absorb properly into some disc types. This model should be using 77/78 inks, which are dye based and should not present any problems.[/QUOTE]

Good point CDan

I did print to some Memorex aqua-guard discs with my old Epson which also used the 77/78 discs with no problems.

:DHi,
Thanks for the replies. The ink that is used is the following;
T0781 - Black
T0782 - Cyan
T0783 - Magenta
T0784 - Yellow
T0785 - Light Cyan
T0786 - Light Magenta

:rolleyes:I know that I have read from other Epson users as well that this is the same ink they have used as well. I’m not sure what the damage could possibly be or cause. I have read reviews on the other Epson R Series which use this same ink using the TY Watershield disc’s without any problems. As for AquaGuard, I haven’t read anything with the use of an Epson. I can’t help to think that the TY’s and the AquaGuards are somewhat similar in properties. I’m going to get a hold of Epson today to try to find out what the scoop is. I will definitely report back. Thanks, Ray
:confused:I’m puzzeled.

Please let us know what Epson says, I am curious now.

Hi,
:rolleyes:The following disc list is on Epson’s web site, but it does not list the “Watershields” therefore, I contacted their support by email.
I just called their Tech line and this is the answer I received; Use what is listed due to them being tested. They could not tell me any specific type of damage that may happen if I was to use anything other than what’s listed. I asked if they have tested the TY Watershield disc’s and they stated no. In my opinion, I think the TY Watershields will work fine. I’ve read other reviews of Epson user’s using the same ink that and not having any problems. I believe in “Real World” testing in which I have not heard anything negative “yet.” Hopefully someone else with this specific printer RX680 can shed some more light. Thanks, Ray
[B]Epson Web Site:
Epson conducted a compatibility test of ink jet printable CD-R and DVD-R optical media with Epson printers. The testing was performed by an independent testing lab using the Epson printers to print directly upon the surface of the discs. The media listed below produced acceptable results.
Manufacturer Media Type Surface
• Memorex CD-R White
• Ritek CD-R White
• Ritek DVD-R White
• Taiyo Yuden DVD-R White
• Taiyo Yuden DVD-R Silver
• Imation CD-R White
• Verbatim CD-R Silver
• Verbatim DVD-R White
• Maxell CD-R White
• Maxell CD-R Silver
• Mitsui CD-R Gold
• Mitsui DVD-R White [/B]

Hello,

Do you know anything about the Sony DVD+R disks ??
It has AccuCore on the front . They say Printable for Inkjet Printers .
Thank You…:confused:

[quote=redplusblack;2229645]Hello,

Do you know anything about the Sony DVD+R disks ??
It has AccuCore on the front . They say Printable for Inkjet Printers .
Thank You…:confused:[/quote]
I bought them in Costco for 29.99 for 200 discs, buy one get one free. All full face printables and they work fine

This is the first i have read of this. Alan did you get anything in your box addressing this issue? I just looked in my box and nothing in there about it. My RX680 was purchased on black friday 2008 from Epson site.

I’ve printed at least 100 watershields(cd and DVD), 100’s of T-Y’s and Verbs and TDK’s and Falcon’s ,and 50 Optical Quantum waterproof on the RX680. Came out beautifully and no printer problems. RX680 is not finicky.

@Bob: Unless that box is holding up a wall, get that printer out and test it to be sure you got a good one:bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2229749]I’ve printed at least 100 watershields(cd and DVD), 100’s of T-Y’s and Verbs and TDK’s and Falcon’s ,and 50 Optical Quantum waterproof on the RX680. Came out beautifully and no printer problems. RX680 is not finicky.

@Bob: Unless that box is holding up a wall, get that printer out and test it to be sure you got a good one:bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info; I have not used WaterShields yet but I have been happy with every printable disc I have tossed in the 680 so far.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2229749]@Bob: Unless that box is holding up a wall, get that printer out and test it to be sure you got a good one:bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]It’s keeping an Igloo cooler from floating away :bigsmile: but i will install it in the near future i hope.

I was hoping to run out of ink with my R320 soon but that’s not working out like i had planned.