Epson R280 causing rollermarks on Taiyo Yuden

vbimport

New member here, so thanks for having me.

Bought me some Taiyo Yuden Watershield DVDs and a new Espson R280. Love the print quality, but printer is leaving rollermarks on the surface. I’ve search the forum, and seen other sporadic mentions of this on other printers, and wanted to check in and see what the latest word was.

On the R80, the rollers are behind the print head, so this would imply that the scuffing is occurring prior to any ink being applied.

Any insight or solutions appreciated. Cheers!

Depends on which rollers are causing this. The toothed feed rollers should be getting spread apart by the disc tray. The only rollers that should be contacting anything are rubber rollers that grip the tray at the edges. Watershield is a tiny bit thicker than average media, and with it’s shiny surface these things are more noticeable. Make sure that you are pressing the disc down onto the tray hub firmly.

Bottom line is that you may have a defective printer.

Thanks for the input. The rubber rollers are definitely the culprit, and this seems to be how the printer is designed. Apparently, the R280 (and possibly other Epson models) has rubber rollers that contact the unprinted surface of the DVD and push it along (see linked picture below. The tooth feeders never touch the disk, just the rollers, which result in one long continuous mark (like someone ran over it with a mini-tire) :slight_smile:

It’s noticeable when viewing the disk at an angle, and is probably more prominent because I have a dark background. I’ll try a new design or if it bugs me I’ll have to use their matte media.

Link to R280 rollers:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4442/img1509ba2.jpg

FYI That’s not a Taiyo disk in the image above, just a sample disk for testing

[QUOTE=CDan;2174399]Depends on which rollers are causing this. The toothed feed rollers should be getting spread apart by the disc tray. The only rollers that should be contacting anything are rubber rollers that grip the tray at the edges. Watershield is a tiny bit thicker than average media, and with it’s shiny surface these things are more noticeable. Make sure that you are pressing the disc down onto the tray hub firmly.

Bottom line is that you may have a defective printer.[/QUOTE]

I’ve produced the same effect on three Epson R280’s. And, I quit using Watershield discs in the Epson printers. I still use them in my Canon printer without a problem. No more Epson printers for me–unless I can get them for half the price of ink.

Oh well, I knew the Black Friday $29 deal on the printer was too good to be true. :wink: Actually, otherwise, it’s a nice little printer. I guess I’ll buy the non-watershield version next time. I’m not too keen on the fingerprint marks that collect on the surface either.

[QUOTE=motifone;2174510]Thanks for the input. The rubber rollers are definitely the culprit, and this seems to be how the printer is designed. Apparently, the R280 (and possibly other Epson models) has rubber rollers that contact the unprinted surface of the DVD and push it along (see linked picture below. The tooth feeders never touch the disk, just the rollers, which result in one long continuous mark (like someone ran over it with a mini-tire) :slight_smile:

It’s noticeable when viewing the disk at an angle, and is probably more prominent because I have a dark background. I’ll try a new design or if it bugs me I’ll have to use their matte media.

Link to R280 rollers:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4442/img1509ba2.jpg

FYI That’s not a Taiyo disk in the image above, just a sample disk for testing[/QUOTE]
It’s been a while since my R280 hit the dumpster, but I don’t recall it ever doing that. If it did, it was very faint. It might also fade over time as the coating dries out. I do know that the Canon only has rollers touching the edges of the tray, not the disc. I remembered that the Epson was the same way, but my memory isn’t what it used to be.

But those rollers don’t push or pull, they just hold it down. As I recall, when the tray is inserted, it flips a lever that lifts the toothy feed rollers and also drops a set of edge rollers onto the tray. (you feel the resistance when inserting the tray) In the Canon, this happens when the door is opened.

Verbatim Gloss is a good alternative, it’s a lot less glossy. But not hub-printable.

Thanks CDdan, for the input. I reworked my design (using less of a solid dark color) and the rollermarks are FAR less noticeable, nearly invisible. I really have to hunt to find them. The marks just stood out more on a solid color.

I must say my sample picture might be misleading. I didn’t mean to imply any rollermarks or streaks are visible in that picture (any streaking you see there is from the motion blur of the CD moving). I only wanted to use the picture to illustrate the position of the rollers. Hope that helps others.

As I recall, the Watershield discs stick up just a tad in the Epson tray. Other types will be more or less flush with the surface of the tray.