Epson R 280 Ink

vbimport

I am trying to hook up my continuous ink to an R280 Epson, I followed the instructions on film, but cannot get the printer to recognize the system, shows akl cartrdges empty, am I missing a step doesn’t look as though the ink is flowing to the cartridges.

Give us more to work with here :). Is this a newly purchased printer? Is it a new CISS? If the cartridges are all completely seated(double check this), you most likely got defective chips or the chips are not compatible with your version of the 280. This has been a big problem w/ the 280’s, and it pays to make a point of buying a system from a seller that explicitly states “will work with all versions of R280”.

The OP is trying to put in a Knock-Off Ink System called Continuous Ink. These Knock-Off Ink may work for a while, but then they just ruin your Printer. This System is ingenious, but Epson says in their instructions only to use Genuine Ink. I speak from experience, I have a Canon Printer and tried Knock-Off’s, but had to go back to Genuine Canon Ink because they didn’t work properly. :cool:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2613414]Give us more to work with here :). Is this a newly purchased printer? Is it a new CISS? If the cartridges are all completely seated(double check this), you most likely got defective chips or the chips are not compatible with your version of the 280. This has been a big problem w/ the 280’s, and it pays to make a point of buying a system from a seller that explicitly states “will work with all versions of R280”.[/QUOTE]Dean, It is not a new printer and then ink is new.I did not know the R280 had different versions.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2613451]Dean, It is not a new printer and then ink is new.I did not know the R280 had different versions.[/QUOTE]

At least 2 versions of the printer and several tank chip revisions. All specifically designed to thwart the use of non-OEM ink tanks. Then there was an Epson law suit against the major compatible ink suppliers that pretty much shut down compatibles. Most likely the only tanks you will be able to find that work are OEM and “remanufactured” OEM. And only those that are compatible with the particular revision of the printer that you have. Its based on the manufacture date of the printer.

Yes, Epson did get very zealous about protecting their profits and changing the chips during the manufacturing period of the R280. After a bit, they appeared to decide that the money they were spending on legal costs might be better applied elsewhere. Chipped CISS systems for the R280 did re-appear. BUT, as CDan says, there are a few versions of the chip, and not all CISS sold are capable of replacing all versions. Contact your seller. They may have a work-around that will help you. If this system proves to be a wash, get a refund and look for a system with something like this in the product description.

I would avoid 1/2 height cartridge systems. The only systems I’ve had that worked flawlessly were full height. Involves problems with ink pressure at the print head being too low with a 1/2 height. Someone may find a way to make that design work, but none that I tried were recommendable.

Edit: That listing mentions German ink. A big plus for refillable carts, but not necessarily so with CISS. I’ve had flow characteristic probs w/ German inks in CISS. Can ignore that line.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2613475]Yes, Epson did get very zealous about protecting their profits and changing the chips during the manufacturing period of the R280. After a bit, they appeared to decide that the money they were spending on legal costs might be better applied elsewhere. Chipped CISS systems for the R280 did re-appear. BUT, as CDan says, there are a few versions of the chip, and not all CISS sold are capable of replacing all versions. Contact your seller. They may have a work-around that will help you. If this system proves to be a wash, get a refund and look for a system with something like this in the product description.

I would avoid 1/2 height cartridge systems. The only systems I’ve had that worked flawlessly were full height. Involves problems with ink pressure at the print head being too low with a 1/2 height. Someone may find a way to make that design work, but none that I tried were recommendable.

Edit: That listing mentions German ink. A big plus for refillable carts, but not necessarily so with CISS. I’ve had flow characteristic probs w/ German inks in CISS. Can ignore that line.[/QUOTE]

Dean, the following is a description of the ad,

Brand New CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) For Epson Printer R260/ R380/ R280/ RX580/ RX680/ RX595 Combo Chip with the Reset button solves the reset problems for CISS users. Reset cartridge in seconds, the fastest way to reset the cartridge Compatible with ink Cartridges: T0781-T0786/ T0771- T0776 This system can save you 90+% printer ink supply cost for your business We tested all the CISS , and this is the best brand on the market right now, don’t let the low price confuse you, we just try build our feedback up. We will give you 30 days Satisfaction Guarantee; we will fully refund your money within 30 days with any dissatisfaction Customer Satisfaction is always our top Priority, and we are confident with our product. BEST QUALITY, REASONABLE PRICE, FASTEST SHIPPING, BEST SERVICE YOU WILL REALIZE IT IS SMART THING TO CHOOSE OUR PRODUCT GUARANTEE NO CLOG HIGHEST PRINTING QUALITY LONGER DURING TIME THAN THE OTHER CISS This system come with 6X100ml high quality dye ink from high reputation manufacture Manufactured in ISO 9001:2000 Certified Factory! Features: easy to install easy to refill easy to reset Sponge less Design Save Money - You can almost unlimited to refill with our refill kits to save your 90% ink cost INCLUDING: CIS system 600ml dye Ink, 100 ml of each color 6 air filters and 1 Syringe 2 tube holder CD instruction Return & Exchange Policy: Return must be made within 4 weeks after receiving the item. We will pay the cost of shipping back for the exchange due to product quality problem. NOT WHAT YOU WANT, PLEASE CHECK THE OTHER ITEMS IN MY STORE, PLUS WE WILL HAVE MORE EXCITING PRODUCT COMING SOON, STAY TONE. Contact us: sales@hotzone360.com

Hmmm. Sounds like a new seller. May have the best of honest intentions, but the world of CISS selling is a rough one. So many bugs to deal with. On the up side, they will probably be willing to bend over backwards to help you and get your positive feedback ;). On the down side, I’ve spoken with a few CISS sellers over the years, and they have had to withdraw certain models from their listings after too much hassle in spite of being assured by the manufacturer that it will work :rolleyes:. If you can’t get your current system working, go with a seller that has a ton of feedback and has been doing this long enough to know what really works.

Don’t suppose it would hurt to post a link to the CISS seller that I’ve had a perfect track record with in three of my Epsons. No ink drying problems, no flow problems, no print quality problems, no chip problems. Just works. And a nice guy to do business with :flower:.