Epson printer info

vbimport

Wondering if anyone could help me with some issues with an Epson 925 inkjet? I hadn’t used it for awhile and when I tried to print I can’t get the black cartridge to work. I installed all new cartridges but the black still refuses to cooperate with me. I have run multiple cleaning cycles and all the color’s work good but not the black. I tried to wash the nozzle in the ink tray out with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip but still no luck. I was thinking that maybe a ladybug may have gotten under the nozzle somehow (we have an infestation in the fall and spring of every year) is this possible? If so is there any way to get under the print tray to look? Also the foam where the heads clean themselves has deteriorated and needs to be replaced or repaired (from trying over and over to get black too work). Any way to replace it?

I am sure it wouldn’t be worthwhile to pay for any repairs so I am seeking info for anything I can do myself before I just junk it.
THANKS
Pete

Sounds like it’s time for a new printer. :frowning:

What is “new” ink? How old is the so-called new ink you had laying around? Check the expiration date and if need be try a brand new cart.

As for the foam (ink pads) they have to be replaced, depending on your model some Epsons like my R220 you can “mod” so the ink runs out the back and avoids the pads altogether. Unfortunatly it’s like a jigsaw puzzzle trying to open them and replace little pads…Epson reccomends you buy a new printer.

If you google around and find a way to mod your Epson, you still need to reset the “end of life” in the FW. you can get the software now from Epson.

[QUOTE=p_wallace;2559021]Wondering if anyone could help me with some issues with an Epson 925 inkjet? I hadn’t used it for awhile and when I tried to print I can’t get the black cartridge to work. I installed all new cartridges but the black still refuses to cooperate with me. I have run multiple cleaning cycles and all the color’s work good but not the black. I tried to wash the nozzle in the ink tray out with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip but still no luck. I was thinking that maybe a ladybug may have gotten under the nozzle somehow (we have an infestation in the fall and spring of every year) is this possible? If so is there any way to get under the print tray to look? Also the foam where the heads clean themselves has deteriorated and needs to be replaced or repaired (from trying over and over to get black too work). Any way to replace it?

I am sure it wouldn’t be worthwhile to pay for any repairs so I am seeking info for anything I can do myself before I just junk it.
THANKS
Pete[/QUOTE]

That’s the same printer I have.

According to the documentation if the cleaning cycle shows no improvement after three or four cycles you should turn the printer off and leave it overnight to allow the dried ink to soften.

If this doesn’t help then Epson recommend contacting their sevice department but you could try installing a cleaning cartridge instead.

For really bad blockages though the heads could need replaced.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for the help.
What do you mean by FW Tubebar when you mention reseting “end of life” in the FW? I am not up on all these abbreviations. Is there a work around to the empty tank message that you get when there is still ink in the tank? How an you make the printer print in black only if you are out of one color? I always got a message that I had to change the empty colored ink before I could print even if I had a full black cartridge and wanted to print in black. The ink that I used was all good.
I tried using rubbing alcohol as a solvent to soften the dried ink with no luck. That’s why I thought there might be a bug blocking the nozzles or something. Where can you find a cleaning cartridge Wombler? I have never seen one in a retail store, Epson.com item?

[QUOTE=p_wallace;2559191]Thanks for the help.
What do you mean by FW Tubebar when you mention reseting “end of life” in the FW? I am not up on all these abbreviations. Is there a work around to the empty tank message that you get when there is still ink in the tank? How an you make the printer print in black only if you are out of one color? I always got a message that I had to change the empty colored ink before I could print even if I had a full black cartridge and wanted to print in black. The ink that I used was all good.
I tried using rubbing alcohol as a solvent to soften the dried ink with no luck. That’s why I thought there might be a bug blocking the nozzles or something. Where can you find a cleaning cartridge Wombler? I have never seen one in a retail store, Epson.com item?[/QUOTE]

Tubebar means to reset the details in the firmware.

As far as cleaning cartridges go they’re available from online sources.

Don’t know where you’re based but just do a search for ‘Epson 925 cleaning cartridges’.

Here’s a UK example of the sort of thing you’re looking for.

From what I can tell they’re basically cartridges with a properly formulated ink solvent in them and and they’re a lot cheaper than normal ink cartridges so presumably worth a try.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler. Looks like what I might need to try. Do you know of a site that sells any replacement pads like I mentioned? If I don’t replace the pad won’t ink (or for that matter the cleaning solution in the cleaning cartridges) run out the bottom of the printer? It would probably make a big mess on anything I tried to print wouldn’t it since the paper runs below where the pad is located? I know that it might ruin the printer trying to replace the pad, but if I don’t I would think that it is pretty much ruined otherwise since I wouldn’t be able to clean the heads anymore. Any thoughts?

Darn, this tool doesnt seem to support your printer yet…
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Yes the Firmware inside your printer has a counter, that needs to be rest back to 0 after you change the pads (or mod it).
I actually got the reset utility for my Epson R220 from the Epson website, not sure where the link was? I think this is it: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/InkPadsForm.jsp

Also they will warn you that if you reset the counter and the ink pads are full…it could lead to overflow leaking. As I said I modded my R220 so the ink spill comes out the back (no worries).

The pads aren’t easy to change, taking that apart is like a jigsaw puzzle…Epson seems to do that on purpose so you buy a new printer or take it to an Epson service professional. They told me to buy a new printer that it wasn’t worth it.

You can also check out this: http://hubpages.com/hub/Reset-Epson-Printer--Ink-Counter-and-Ink-Cartridge

I just remembered that when my ink pads first got full it stopped printing black, that’s more then likely your problem. :clap:

Again you can’t just reset the counter and ignore that or you’ll get ink spill inside the printer, leaking all over - need to mod it.

The R220 has a small clip on the back you pop open, remove a small foam piece and w/ a screw driver or something grab the ink hose and then connect that to a small bottle. No idea if yours has this?

Thanks for all the great info! How do I get to the FW? What menu or registry page is that location. Do you think that the foam is a generic type or something different that would be printer specific? Sorry to ask so many questions but if you don’t ask you never find out, right?

I think after re-reading the links you sent tubebar the software lets you access the FW, right?

The FW is a chip inside the printer. All you do is run the software (Epson Reset Utility). Just fill out the form and they’ll give you a DL link: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/InkPadsForm.jsp
No idea about the ink pads as I never bothered w/ them as it was much to complex to take apart (not a job for an amature like me).

Or download the tool directly from here.

Even more funky tools can be found on this russian website.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me. I think that I will eventually try taking apart the printer to see if I can change the destroyed pad. I have a 925 that I am using also so if I lose the 320 it will be a learning experience. It won’t work now so I’m not out anything anyway if I junk it.
I checked out the modding sites on google and read up on installing a tank. All of the info there was assuming the pads were there but soaked. Mine dissolved when I touched it with alcohol. Does anyone think this would cause problems even with the tank installed?

As far as the ink pads go it doesn’t look good.

Have a read of this page and see what Epson say on this.

Also here.

It seems that they’re designed to last the lifetime of the printer and are not intended to be user replaceable which is presumably why it’s difficult sourcing replacements.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=p_wallace;2560563]Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me. I think that I will eventually try taking apart the printer to see if I can change the destroyed pad.
[/QUOTE]

It’s honestly not worth the hassle esp. if you have little to no experince w/ printer hardware. As Wombler[COLOR=black] posted [/COLOR]Epson makes it like that so you have to buy a new printer.

[QUOTE=p_wallace;2560563]
I checked out the modding sites on google and read up on installing a tank. All of the info there was assuming the pads were there but soaked. Mine dissolved when I touched it with alcohol. Does anyone think this would cause problems even with the tank installed?[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t matter as you won’t be using the pads w/ the mod, it leaks out of the back. Pads can be soaked or not there.