Epson 730 or Canon MG6220

vbimport

I am trying to decide between the Epson 730 and Canon’s MG6220 for printing on blu-ray and dvd discs. I have read a lot of reviews about both, but which is the best for printing on discs. I will be printing about 100 discs a year.

Thanks!
Rob

Between those two, the Epson would probably be preferable for disc printing. The Epson’s photo print speed is approx. twice as fast, should translate to faster disc printing as well. The Epson also has the ability to print to disc directly from it’s scanner.

One other advantage is the built-in disc tray in the Epson. This removes the issues occasionally seen with thicker printables like glossy watershields where roller marks can appear on the printed surface.

Thanks for the response! I will go for the 730 then.

Thanks!
Rob

Is there another printer I should consider in the sub $300 price range that might be better?

Where are you located? In my neighborhood, the 725 or 730 can be readily found for under $100.00. The 725 is currently going for $99.00 at Epson’s store. They also have the 837 with the same print engine for $150.00 if you would find the automatic document feeder of value. I see the 730 similarly priced to the 725 at a few sellers.

My Artisan 800s have been doing an excellent job on all types of printable discs. I’m not aware of anything else in this price range that can compete with the Artisan in terms of features, print quality/speed, and availability of affordable aftermarket carts/CISS.

I’m too late to chime in but we’ve used all the Epson printers from R200s on, and the Artisan 7 & 8’s have some of the best-of features. I still like the cheap clone-ink of the R200-300s, and I didn’t mind them stopping a print-job before it started if there wasn’t enough ink remaining.

The RX-5/6 series didn’t do that - they stopped in the middle of the job, ejected the disk and PRETENDED it would to-the-pixel perfectly realign the CD Tray for resumption of printing.

The Artisans have a reservoir-remaining notion so that the print job completes and THEN the unit stops, saying the ink cartridge needs replacing.

The Artisan - with the sheet feeder on the backside - consumes more desk-space than the RX-5’s, though. I’m not sure how durable the auto-feed-in CD Tray will be - only time will tell for each user.

But this is another good reason to buy two at a time - and let one sit in my closet. The best reason for this strategy is so, when #1 unit finally dies, I still have the unused #2 unit that can spend the next few years consuming the rest of my Artisan ink cartridges.