Episodes split into multiple VOB files

Hi. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. I searched for a bit, but maybe I’m not using the right keywords because I haven’t found what I’m looking for.

I ripped the first disc of season one of the series Six Feet Under with DVDFab5. Everything went smoothly – or so I thought. I was looking through the files (and I looked under Movie Copy Software > Guides and Tutorials > Tutorial - The DVD (Video) File Structure to try to familiarize myself with the different files) and noted that the episodes (three to a cd) were split into multiple VOB files. The first episode is VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, and part of VTS_01_3.VOB. The rest of VTS_01_3.VOB is episode 2.

VTS_01_4.VOB is also episode 2. HOWEVER, it’s in French. VTS_01_5.VOB is part episode 2, but in English, and part of episode 3 – also in English. VTS_01_6 and 7 are the remainder of episode 3 in English.

Did I not rip something properly? I didn’t change any settings when I first installed DVDFab. Was there something I was supposed to have done?

Also, how can I split the files that contain more than one episode and the combine them to make a full episode in one file?

Thanks. And sorry again if this has been answered somewhere.

Welcome to the forums toranky. Since your problem is related to DVDFab, I am going to move your thread to our DVDFab forum.

By the way, .vob files don’t follow the structure of the movie by episodes, as you have found out. This is not a flaw in the way you ripped the movie. The French section is a bit puzzling, but we’ll let the DVDFab experts take a crack at that one.

It looks like you want each episode ripped to a separate file, so they should be able to direct you on that.

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up, Kerry. :smiley:

[QUOTE=toranky;2307509]Hi. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. I searched for a bit, but maybe I’m not using the right keywords because I haven’t found what I’m looking for.

I ripped the first disc of season one of the series Six Feet Under with DVDFab5. Everything went smoothly – or so I thought. I was looking through the files (and I looked under Movie Copy Software > Guides and Tutorials > Tutorial - The DVD (Video) File Structure to try to familiarize myself with the different files) and noted that the episodes (three to a cd) were split into multiple VOB files. The first episode is VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, and part of VTS_01_3.VOB. The rest of VTS_01_3.VOB is episode 2.

VTS_01_4.VOB is also episode 2. HOWEVER, it’s in French. VTS_01_5.VOB is part episode 2, but in English, and part of episode 3 – also in English. VTS_01_6 and 7 are the remainder of episode 3 in English.

Did I not rip something properly? I didn’t change any settings when I first installed DVDFab. Was there something I was supposed to have done?

Also, how can I split the files that contain more than one episode and the combine them to make a full episode in one file?

Thanks. And sorry again if this has been answered somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine which part of each episode was on each VOB file?

Also, do you have any specific reason why you need each episode in 1 VOB file? It can be done, but if you’re going to maintain the DVD format and structure, the result won’t be playable on a set-top DVD player.

The portion of the rip you indicated is in French…part of my answer to that will depend on how you answer my first question.

And finally, do you remember, or did you record, all the settings in Fab before you started the rip? That also may provide a partial answer to your French question…

Please advise.

OC

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=toranky;2307509]Hi. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. I searched for a bit, but maybe I’m not using the right keywords because I haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Thanks. And sorry again if this has been answered somewhere.[/QUOTE]DVDFab will take care of making new VOB and IFO files for the way you want your output disc configured. If you want to extract only a single episode use Customize mode. To split the 4 episodes to two single layer discs, use Customize Split mode. You can read about these copy modes in the DVDFab Tutorial, which you can access from the red link in my sig, below.

Not sure about the French audio, that would be a new one.

Thanks for the prompt responses!

[QUOTE=OCanada;2307538]Just out of curiosity, how did you determine which part of each episode was on each VOB file?

Also, do you have any specific reason why you need each episode in 1 VOB file? It can be done, but if you’re going to maintain the DVD format and structure, the result won’t be playable on a set-top DVD player.

The portion of the rip you indicated is in French…part of my answer to that will depend on how you answer my first question.

And finally, do you remember, or did you record, all the settings in Fab before you started the rip? That also may provide a partial answer to your French question…

Please advise.

OC

:)[/QUOTE]
Well, I’m not looking to burn them on DVDs to be played in a DVD player (although I may consider this later); I just wanted each episode to be one file each so I could watch them on my computer without having to jump to another file to continue the same episode.

Also, I opened up each VOB file in VLC player and skipped around until I got to the credits (indicating the end of the episode). That’s how I found how many VOB files made up an episode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for the settings, I didn’t change anything after I first installed DVDFab. I just inserted a disk and I think I left the setting set to Full Disc and then hit Start.

[QUOTE=signals;2307539]DVDFab will take care of making new VOB and IFO files for the way you want your output disc configured. If you want to extract only a single episode use Customize mode. To split the 4 episodes to two single layer discs, use Customize Split mode. You can read about these copy modes in the DVDFab Tutorial, which you can access from the red link in my sig, below.

Not sure about the French audio, that would be a new one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’m not quite sure how one file came out in French.

Are these instructions (using Customize mode) only for if I wanted to burn these to DVD to play in a DVD player? Because at the moment, I just want the individual files to store on my external HDD and watch on my computer. Also, is there some way to save the subtitles, too? Thanks!

Edit: Oh wait, it says I need DVDFab Platinum to use Customize mode. :l

I said earlier that I’m using DVDFab 5; I think I’m going to upgrade 6.

[QUOTE=toranky;2307546]Thanks for the prompt responses!

Yeah, I’m not quite sure how one file came out in French.

Are these instructions (using Customize mode) only for if I wanted to burn these to DVD to play in a DVD player? Because at the moment, I just want the individual files to store on my external HDD and watch on my computer. Also, is there some way to save the subtitles, too? Thanks!

Edit: Oh wait, it says I need DVDFab Platinum to use Customize mode. :l

I said earlier that I’m using DVDFab 5; I think I’m going to upgrade 6.[/QUOTE]DVD-Video must be stored and played as a VIDEO_TS folder for proper playback: the IFO files are the ones that tell the player which VOB files contain the title that you tell it to play. You can play the individual VOBs but this is normally an unsatisfactory experience if you are trying to watch a movie. If you are using VLC to play the material you must use the [B]Open Folder[/B] rather than [B]Open File[/B] command so that VLC knows to read and process the IFO files as if they were on a DVD disc. You can use any version of DVDFab to make these folders. Customize mode is available in the paid version, but the free version will also make the VIDEO_TS folders (in fact that’s all it does).

[QUOTE=signals;2307710]DVD-Video must be stored and played as a VIDEO_TS folder for proper playback: the IFO files are the ones that tell the player which VOB files contain the title that you tell it to play. You can play the individual VOBs but this is normally an unsatisfactory experience if you are trying to watch a movie. If you are using VLC to play the material you must use the [B]Open Folder[/B] rather than [B]Open File[/B] command so that VLC knows to read and process the IFO files as if they were on a DVD disc. You can use any version of DVDFab to make these folders. Customize mode is available in the paid version, but the free version will also make the VIDEO_TS folders (in fact that’s all it does).[/QUOTE]
Ahhh, I’m still a noob, so I’m going to have to play around with this a bit.

By the way, it doesn’t really sound like it’s what I want, but I will definitely try this out as I would like to learn more about ripping DVDs. I guess what I want to do is rip my DVD set as AVIs or rip them and then convert them to AVIs (or whatever filetype) and have each episode be its own file. I suppose in this case, I’d have to add the subtitles myself, too.

Would you happen to know how I can do this? Does DVDFab’s Customize mode allow me to do this? And if it does, do you know of any free programs that would achieve the same result?

Thanks. :smiley: