Entry level BDPs

vbimport

I thought I start a thread on BDPs. It seems logical as we mainly talk here about media, burners, different backup methods, processes. Somehow I have a feeling that we miss an important integral part, i.e. we put all these media in something to watch. And we don’t talk much about the equipment with the help of which we enjoy the outcome of a burn.

So, let me start and we will see where we progress.

I have to admit that it was hard for me to leave the well-known world. The world of CDs and DVDs. I did not beleive in the new BR technology. I never stopped before the ever growing shelves of BR movies. Being an old fart I still can’t help though keeping a pace with modern technology, so a borrowed a BR movie from a friend and watched it on my son’s PS3 connected to a Full HD Sony BRAVIA. I was not impressed to say the least. Plus I was in the woods with all the technical criteria, I did not know what meant what in the world of BR technology. And then one day I saw a review of the new Pioneer BDP line. You have to know that I have been a Pioneer fanboy for ages. The toughest kind, so all my equipment are Pioneer. And I decided to step on the road. Endless nights reading. When I was done I knew what I need. I was sure that there were some important criteria for me:

1. The BDP should be a Pioneer.
  2. It has to handle all types of formats with ease, including SACD.
  3. It has to have excellent picture and sound quality.

What I did not need was network connection. The reason is very simple. I don’t like to expose my home network to something that is not protected, can not be contolled.
To cut the long story short, I bought a Pioneer BDP-150-K.

What are my impressions:

The BDP-150 is well built, simple, but elegant. Extremely easy to setup and to configure. Actually after connecting it to my Full HD TV set (HDMI) and to my Amplifier (digital coax) had to do nothing, but change four things in the menus: quick start on, digital out to bitstream, PIP and Angle mark off (that always bothers me, to have a tiny icon in the corner during a movie).
Many reviewers did not like the remote control. I am still puzzled why. It is elegant, logically set, all the necessary functions at hand. It is a typical Pioneer remote. When I was comparing the whole set with Panasonic’s entry level equipment one thing was sure: the remote of the Panasonic is not my cup of tea. Cheapish, absolutely illogical (for me), looks like a typical colorful Asian toy. And it has no “Subtitle” button.

To be continied…